Exhaust pipe failure....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Citabria
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Exhaust pipe failure.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 2009 CTS4 Sedan with less than 37,000 miles on the vehicle. Today I had my vehicle up ...
    Citabria is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Exhaust pipe failure....

I have a 2009 CTS4 Sedan with less than 37,000 miles on the vehicle. Today I had my vehicle up on a lift and noticed a 2 inch crack in the exhaust tube right before it makes the 90 degree bend around the rear suspension. It appears to be cracked at the seam and is leaking. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? It appears to be a seam failure and the tubes still look good except where the split is. And is there any help on this for repair via the emissions warranty? It really does look like faulty material or am I out of luck........I will be checking with my dealer next week but just wanted to see if this may be ANOTHER Cadillac CTS defect? Yep I'm tired of dealer visits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Exhaust pipe failure....

Citabria,

This is the first one I've heard of on the forum. Let us know what shakes out! If it were in front of the CAT, it would probably be emissions. If it isn't covered, I'd go to a welder and have it re-welded.

Marv

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Citabria View Post
    I have a 2009 CTS4 Sedan with less than 37,000 miles on the vehicle. Today I had my vehicle up on a lift and noticed a 2 inch crack in the exhaust tube right before it makes the 90 degree bend around the rear suspension. It appears to be cracked at the seam and is leaking. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? It appears to be a seam failure and the tubes still look good except where the split is. And is there any help on this for repair via the emissions warranty? It really does look like faulty material or am I out of luck........I will be checking with my dealer next week but just wanted to see if this may be ANOTHER Cadillac CTS defect? Yep I'm tired of dealer visits.
    Hello Citabria,

I would be more than happy to look into this for you, but first I would need to speak with the dealership that you are getting your vehicle diagnosed at. Could you private message me when you make that appointment so that I can follow up with the dealership about this concern you are experiencing? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thank you Gregory, will do.
    Attached Images

CTS4MATION is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4

Not only for a cadillac but areas like those are very common to crack on any exhaust. Being your bumper to bumper is out I would just pop off that section and take it to anybody you may know with a mig welder. It is a quick and easy fix.

I agree it looks like an easy fix, disappointed the dealer didn't catch it when they did the last oil change a month and a half ago while it still was in bumper to bumper warranty. They say they do a 27 point inspection, must not include the exhaust or the whole thing was pencil whipped.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Oil changes in a dealer are basically loss leaders to get customers in the door for upsells. Upsells are where the money is. Next time you go in off-warranty they will find the leak.

This might might be covered under emission warranty?

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

A perfect straight line crack like that looks like a seam failure for sure. Take it back and point out that the damage didn't happen overnight and they should have caught it before.

Thanks guys. I take the car in this Friday. I emailed them pictures and the dealer is running it up their chain of command and Gregory from cadillac cust srvs is working it on his end. I was disappointed to make an appt but yesterday I needed to because the radio they replaced under warranty a month ago failed again, this time with the iPod working properly and having the controls such as track changing etc not working. I hope these frequent visits to the dealer does not continue.

Here is an update from last Friday's visit. The car was 75 days out of B2B warranty and less than 37k miles. It needs the entire exhaust replaced from the cat back, (both sides). Everyone agrees it was a seam failure, cost to repair $1800.00. Dealer is working with me on how much of that I will need to pay, and should know more next week. As for the radio iPod not working, turns out I have a bad factory cord, worked a while ago but not now, .....strange. My last dealer visit for this car was about 80 days ago while still under warranty for a service and multi point inspection and apparently they missed it and I have put 2800 miles on the car since that visit, what do you think I should have to pay, if anything?

Here is an update from last Friday's visit. The car was 75 days out of B2B warranty and less than 37k miles. It needs the entire exhaust replaced from the cat back, (both sides). Everyone agrees it was a seam failure, cost to repair $1800.00. Dealer is working with me on how much of that I will need to pay, and should know more next week. As for the radio iPod not working, turns out I have a bad factory cord, worked a while ago but not now, .....strange. My last dealer visit for this car was about 80 days ago while still under warranty for a service and multi point inspection and apparently they missed it and I have put 2800 miles on the car since that visit, what do you think I should have to pay, if anything?
    Hello Citabria,

Thank you for updating us. I see my counterpart Gregory W. and you have been in contact with one another. I am sorry for the radio iPod malfunction occurring after your last dealer visit for a service inspection. Was your last dealership visit for inspection done at the dealership who is working with you on your current exhaust replacement? If you private message us, we can ensure we will receive your message and continue to interact with you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Hello,

This post will bring to a close my exhaust pipe failure. My dealer George Gee Cadillac, GM and Cadillac Customer Service came together and replaced my exhaust system from the catalytic converter back at no charge. Not only that, they washed and detailed my car, and gave me a brand new fully loaded ATS4 to drive. It was a 3.6 model and what a blast to drive! I am quick to criticize and therefore must be equally quick to compliment. I appreciate the service from my dealer and agreeing to pick up the expense GM could not, from GM for their assistance and to Gregory from Cadillac Customer Service, he reached out to the dealer several times to aid in the facilitation of this repair. The dealer and the brand picked up a whole bunch of good will today. Thank You and well done.

Greg
    HurstGN likes this.

Hello,

This post will bring to a close my exhaust pipe failure. My dealer George Gee Cadillac, GM and Cadillac Customer Service came together and replaced my exhaust system from the catalytic converter back at no charge. Not only that, they washed and detailed my car, and gave me a brand new fully loaded ATS4 to drive. It was a 3.6 model and what a blast to drive! I am quick to criticize and therefore must be equally quick to compliment. I appreciate the service from my dealer and agreeing to pick up the expense GM could not, from GM for their assistance and to Gregory from Cadillac Customer Service, he reached out to the dealer several times to aid in the facilitation of this repair. The dealer and the brand picked up a whole bunch of good will today. Thank You and well done.

Greg
    Hello Greg,

I am very happy that we were able to make sure you left as a satisfied customer from your dealership today. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the ATS you got to drive as well! Please keep us updated to make sure that your vehicle doesn’t experience another concern. Thank you for your patience during the process!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.