Axe's attempt at thermal vision system for CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Axe's attempt at thermal vision system for CTS-V in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Yesterday my FLIR Pathfinder LE system arrived. It's a thermal imaging system, here's a vid . Ideally, I'll have this ...
    cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

Axe's attempt at thermal vision system for CTS-V

Yesterday my FLIR Pathfinder LE system arrived. It's a thermal imaging system, here's a vid .

Ideally, I'll have this mounted and displaying on the factory nav screen before i drive to CO at the end of June.

Anyone have any experience doing this? I'm going back to the dealer Monday to talk to the wiring guy and see if i can get a schematic for the car so i can try to make this a clean install and minimize the chance of F'ups.

First thing i'll have to decide is where to mount it. i hate putting it in front of cooling radiators. there's a duct right by the fog lights, but i believe (have to check) those are functional for brake cooling. not exactly easy getting behind the grill in the first place. Lots of cussing awaits me, raining so can't ride the chopper anyway, might as well start looking this thing over. any tips from experience are appreciated.

575666_529897747046138_967211427_n.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Re: Axe's attempt at thermal vision system for CTS-V

Badass. I want one. I'd proably would just mount it on the sunvisor like the video cause then I would just flip it down when I need to use it. (I'm short) Let us know how it goes!

if i can't figure out the wiring into the screen before the CO trip, that's where mine will be for the time being.

used a battery charger to make sure everything functioned. started taking things apart. i had to modify the mounting case, but i think i found a location that won't block much airflow and will allow good vision. just need to make another bracket and get everything wedged in properly. also got a wiring diagram for the backup camera today, so hopefully that helps me figure out the dash spaghetti...

here's some test images of the car in the garage, Sunshine, and Baron.

vorum 5 thermal image test.JPG

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe View Post
    also got a wiring diagram for the backup camera today, so hopefully that helps me figure out the dash spaghetti...
    How about sharing that diagram

i can try to scan in a jpeg of it, but what i'm realizing is it's not going to do me much good. it's just what comes out of the backup camera, but as opposed to splicing in there, i'll likely have to catch the vid signal from the head unit to the monitor, as who knows where the reverse trigger is to override the radio vid signal, etc. i'll post more as i figure all this out...slowly...

Sunshine leaves for Europe tomorrow, so was hoping to get a lot done this weekend, but Chip bought an early m5 bmw that roached the timing chain tensioners, so starting tomorrow eve i'll be in his garage repairing that gem...

Today i got the bracket basically made and made sure the grill doesn't interfere with the camera view. took more hours than i want to admit to make the bracket, and no, it's far from perfect, but it's crude yet effective like me, and with coat of black paint, it'll be just fine hiding under the trim panels under the hood. just have to get it out on a long straight road and get the adjustments right, then start trying to hook it up to the nav panel. i've got a couple more pigtails coming from the visions system supplier Wednesday, so hopefully i have things pretty figured out by then...

pics below show the cam hanging from the bracket i made. other is a test view. you can see the cam behind the grill on the left, then my thermal shot on the test monitor.
    vorum 6 bracket and test view.JPG

i hate wiring, but part of the job...

vforum 7 wiring.JPG

fortunately i found one prototype box on a shelf somewhere that does exactly what i need, allows external camera input. Yesterday i got the screen to actually display the thermal camera, so now i just have to get the camera mounted solid, run cabling, final connections, and put everything back together properly.

vforum 8 therm.JPG

Finally got everything working and back together clean. didn't have to cut into any wiring or mount any switches in the console. just hit mute 4 times to activate dash menu, use the up/down to scroll, and right mirror to toggle. works like a champ!

vforum 10 ther working.JPG

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Perhaps I'm naive but what exactly are you trying to accomplish; in other words, how will this accessory serve you. I've never seen anything like this other than in cop shows. I'm sure there is a reason you want it, I'm just curious as to what that is. thanks

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    I believe one of the major benefits is the fact he can now see pedestrians/animals at night when his lights may not do the job (especially on the sides if they're walking toward the street)...I've been impressed with what these systems can do. (Although I don't see a need for it myself)

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

I like it. IMO everyone needs a hobby. Axe has one at least 2 levels above mine.

Bobby VW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Wow!!!!

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by hauler
    I like it. IMO everyone needs a hobby. Axe has one at least 2 levels above mine.
    And four levels above mine...lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.