CTS Wagon Blind Spots
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, CTS Wagon Blind Spots in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi, I just joined the forum as I'm seriously thinking about adding a CTS Wagon to our stable. I have ...
    SMKNTRLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 Corvette

CTS Wagon Blind Spots

Hi, I just joined the forum as I'm seriously thinking about adding a CTS Wagon to our stable. I have three children under 9 who are active in sports and am debating about this car vs a E91 3 Series Wagon (maybe just to small but can get a stick) and a Ford Flex or a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Looking in the mid $20s price wise.

I have a huge concern with the blind spots of those rear pillars as I unfortunately fell victim to a blind spot problem in my M5. People on both sides of me in my blinds and by the time I was done checking the second side for an escape I was SOL with braking distance. So yep hit the car in front of me. Not to hard but hard enough to create an insurance claim. So very cogniscent in my purchase as I have again others who will be traveling with me and want as much visibility as possible. So wondering what everyone's thoughts are in regards to this issue. Love the looks (exterior and interior), love the performance (minus can't get a stick), gas highway mileage in the mid 30's would be great and LOVE BUYING AMERICAN to add to our fourth gen American SUV!

Note I have adopted the mirror adjustment to not include the rear body panels on my Vette as suggested in similar threads I've read here as discussed with the coupe's issues. But unfortunately it pails in comparison to what my '12 Expeditions side mirrors which have a second integrated mirror for viewing the blind spots. Love it better than the dots that light up on the T&C's I've experienced. Great idea Ford.

Thanks for your feedback in advance,

Smkntrls

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JohninBC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX Performance AWD Crystal Red/Ebony

Re: CTS Wagon Blind Spots

Love my wagon. You're right, outside visibility is all about having your mirrors adjusted properly. I've never felt like I couldn't see who was beside me.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Just as JohninBC says, proper mirror adjustment AND always looking over your shoulder before changing lanes is important in any car. There is nothing that beats knowing where cars are at all times and then making sure they haven't changed positions. You'll love the CTS Wagon! Not so sure about mid 20s pricing though, unless higher miles.

Good luck, Marv

SMKNTRLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 Corvette

JohninBC & Tbbt thank you very much for your responses. I agree. I had spent about two weeks up shopping for my new expedition going through all the ford inventory throughout the US as there wasn't many year end 4x4s on the west coast so I was tired and was on my normal streets and got caught up in an unusual traffic situation where there were six cars in my lane and very few in the other two so I looked around for an out vs just out right braking. My mistake but I had thought I had no one around me. I agree I am much better than that at knowing where people were but tired, end of day of negotiating and in a hurry led to my real demise. Trying to avoid that.

Have to go get some of the different blind spot add on mirrors and try em out. Worth the experiment.

Everything about the car looks great. Wish the V had a tune down to four cylinders for highway purposes and it had a little more room. A stick ;-) in blue and I'd be good. Have to see what I can do to order one I guess but won't be able to deal to much I'm assuming.

Thanks for the responses.

Smkntls

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    If you can swing for a newer model with the blind spot monitoring that may help. Not sure if it was 2011 or 2012 when it came out.

I have it on my '12 premium coupe and it helps.

The CTS wagon is the best looking and sportiest of the vehicles you mentioned. I was trying to get my wife to consider an AWD version when we got out of our Toyota Landcruiser. In the end she didn't want a station wagon and we got a BMW X5.

I don't understand the aversion some people have to station wagons. I think wagons like the CTS are the best of all worlds especially an AWD model. People don't off road $50k to $60k vehicles so you don't need the ground clearance.

With a sports wagon you get the utility, AWD for foul weather, the driveability of a car and I think they look nicer.

thunder0938 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS wagon 3.6

I love my CTS wagon, BUT I and 6 foot 3 and I have room in the front seat there is not much room in the back. The CTS is a great car and I would get one again, bit its NOT a large car. So make sure yourkids fit in the back ..

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

I'm not sure if you're looking for a new car or a used but you might want to check if the car you have in mind has Side Blind Zone Alert. And, just remember, Side Blind Zone Alert can be turned off, so you might be in a car that you think doesn't have it but it's turned off. Also, there's the back up camera for when you're in reverse. I don't have the navigation system so it shows up in the rear view mirror.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I own a V wagon and with the mirrors properly adjusted I have no issue with blind spots.

Yes, it is a smallish wagon, but even in non-V form handles great for its size, is good-looking, RARE, and is quite functional. It's a very good wagon for the size.

Did I mention RARE? I have never seen a non-V CTS wagon, ever. I've seen one other V wagon in the wild....and the V wagon is supposed to be more rare than the non-V wagon.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    I own a V wagon and with the mirrors properly adjusted I have no issue with blind spots.

Yes, it is a smallish wagon, but even in non-V form handles great for its size, is good-looking, RARE, and is quite functional. It's a very good wagon for the size.

Did I mention RARE? I have never seen a non-V CTS wagon, ever. I've seen one other V wagon in the wild....and the V wagon is supposed to be more rare than the non-V wagon.
    I have seen several, both V and non-V in the Detroit Metro area.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob

I have never seen either one, except at the dealer in the Miami area.

a2dan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 Premium Wagon black diamond tricoat

My wife and I were driving (in Michigan) earlier this evening after a weekend "up north" and passed a black CTS wagon in OUR black CTS wagon. Having said that, I go weeks without seeing another one in SE Michigan, and imagine there are more here than anywhere. Love it, but wish it sold well enough that GM would have decided to continue production in the new model.

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

$1.50 for stick on convex mirrors added to the stock mirror. Not pretty, but very effective.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

There is no need to add ANY mirrors to the car. Do a search on properly adjusting mirrors. There are several posts on the forum, myself included that found a properly adjusted set of factory mirrors can eliminate the blind spots. A coworker told me Lincoln is adding those convex mirrors to some models in the current production year...that just tells me the engineers don't know how to properly adjust mirrors either.

I'll never drive again without properly setting the mirrors. Took about 1 minute to setup the rental I had a few weeks ago. It's easy and takes no time at all.

Tom Wheeler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX, 2012 CTS Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by a2dan View Post
    My wife and I were driving (in Michigan) earlier this evening after a weekend "up north" and passed a black CTS wagon in OUR black CTS wagon. Having said that, I go weeks without seeing another one in SE Michigan, and imagine there are more here than anywhere. Love it, but wish it sold well enough that GM would have decided to continue production in the new model.
    Maybe you seen mine, I live in Auburn Hills...

Tom

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.