LED's and CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, LED's and CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Working in industry I am receiving a lot of garbage emails, though some of them are useful too. Today I ...
    MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

LED's and CTS

Working in industry I am receiving a lot of garbage emails, though some of them are useful too. Today I got this one: http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...dfpLayout=blog

An interesting reading...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Re: LED's and CTS

Very interesting link, thanks for sharing. I actually found one of the comments on the article equally interesting. It reads as follows:

I recently attended a training where the 3rd brake light issues on the older Cadillac's was discussed. When GM introduced the LED 3rd brake light, they were very early adopters of the technology. They did due diligence reliability testing, but their design still failed in the field. They ended up running a HALT test and found the source of the issue. It was not the LEDs as components that fail, it was the wires that interconnected the LEDs.

By being early adopters of LED lighting in automotive applications, GM is ahead of the iterative learning curve. I would not hesitate to buy a GM product with lighting like this. I would, avoid most other automakers like Audi who have recently added LED accent lights.

And this is not an issue of LED reliability... the LEDs as components are extremely reliable. The issue is the circuit board design, solder connections, interconnect wires, LED cooling methods, ETC... It seems that engineers think, 'Gee, LEDs last a long time. Let's slap some on a PCB and throw it behind some glass and it will last forever.'

A fantastically reliable LED is useless in an open circuit.
    I'm pretty sure the problematic LED units he's referring to were the ones on the 1992 Seville for the third brake light:

1992_Cadillac_Seville_STS_016_9062.jpg

Also interesting to note that the commenter (who I assume is an engineer of some sort) says he's wary of Audi LEDs. It will indeed be interesting to see how those pretty LED accents on all those Audis running around look in five years' time.

Final note and I'll stop geeking out: Many folks don't realize that Caddy is quite a leader in lighting technology. In addition to the early adoption of LEDs in the '92 Sevilles, the 2000 Deville was the first car with all-led brake lights, and the '08 CTS was one of the first to use LED light tubes front and rear, and current Escalade Platinum is one of the first vehicles to use all-LED headlights.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough View Post
    ... current Escalade Platinum is one of the first vehicles to use all-LED headlights.
    It'll be interesting to see how those LED headlights perform. The new Acura RLX has all-LED bulbs and I believe Consumer Reports said they were feeble.

I'm a big fan of xenons, since they reach far and shine bright (extremely important for my aging eyes). But I know LEDs can be made to shine very bright and far also (I have an extremely expensive LED flashlight that proves it). All a matter of proper engineering.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Funny this thread came up. I was behind an older Seville at lunch. The car looked like it had been to hell and back a few times but ALL his LEDs were still lighting up...lol. I'm behind nissans and other cars that have LEDs and many are out. I've always admired the Cadillac lighting systems and find them to be very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Funny this thread came up. I was behind an older Seville at lunch. The car looked like it had been to hell and back a few times but ALL his LEDs were still lighting up...lol.
    Haha. Good for that driver. I'm sure an aftermarket industry exists somewhere to replace faulty LED strips. I've seen many first-gen Sevilles with the entire strip out of commission, or some with half of it out. Side note: I really liked the '92 Sevilles when they came out...they were such a modern interpretation of a Cadillac at the time. I begged my dad to get one but he got a '94 Sedan Deville instead and I was pissed.

The new Acura RLX has all-LED bulbs and I believe Consumer Reports said they were feeble.
    I'm actually kind of glad to hear this because I think the RLX headlights look hideous. I actually saw an RLX in person recently and that car is just so...blah. I looked up some reviews after reading Max Bux's comment above and wow is that car getting SLAUGHTERED in reviews. Ouch. Dan Neil and those b*tches at Consumer Reports were especially harsh. gohawks63 escaped Acura just in time!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough

Haha. Good for that driver. I'm sure an aftermarket industry exists somewhere to replace faulty LED strips. I've seen many first-gen Sevilles with the entire strip out of commission, or some with half of it out. Side note: I really liked the '92 Sevilles when they came out...they were such a modern interpretation of a Cadillac at the time. I begged my dad to get one but he got a '94 Sedan Deville instead and I was pissed.

I'm actually kind of glad to hear this because I think the RLX headlights look hideous. I actually saw an RLX in person recently and that car is just so...blah. I looked up some reviews after reading Max Bux's comment above and wow is that car getting SLAUGHTERED in reviews. Ouch. Dan Neil and those b*tches at Consumer Reports were especially harsh. gohawks63 escaped Acura just in time!
    There has been a lot of discussion on the Acura forums on this (I still visit). I fell in love with the CTS coupe when it was introduced, but I held off because I wanted to see the new RLX. When I saw the early spy shots I was convinced it was time to move on. The interior is fine and I think all automakers could learn a thing or two on how to integrate technology, Cadillac included, but the exterior makes the XTS look like a ht rod.

I have no doubts that it is well engineered and in the long run it might be more reliable than my CTS (although my CTS has been solid so far), but I just couldn't bring myself to take on a car payment for that car. Again, not that it is a bad car, it just didn't move me (pun intended). If I didn't get my CTS I would've just kept my '06 RL.

I do not like the Acura styling nor their interiors. Their seats are more comfortable but to me, nothing that I can afford beats the CTS fit and finish. I don't like the beak look either...it's a disgrace to all cars IMHO.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83
    I do not like the Acura styling nor their interiors. Their seats are more comfortable but to me, nothing that I can afford beats the CTS fit and finish. I don't like the beak look either...it's a disgrace to all cars IMHO.
    I do agree the Acura beak is a travesty and I don't understand why Acura persists with it, even though they have toned it down. I also agree that the interiors of some cars like the TL have tended to look a bit cheap as i noticed in past loaners. I think that the RLX is definitely a step above based on reviews (I haven't sat in one yet).

Moving from a 2006 RL to the CTS, I was pleasantly surprised that the interior of the CTS was very comparable to my previous RL.

I will say though that Acura still does the best job of integrating technology. While the voice commands in the CTS work well enough, the RL had a much more extensive vocabulary that allowed you control features beyond the infotainment system. For example HVAC, and other features like defrosters, and much more detailed control. The RL (in 2006) also allowed you to tailor and store more features by driver (radio presets, HVAC settings, lighting controls, door lock programming and locking functions) whereas the CTS only saves seats, steering and mirrors.

The RL also had other features and tricks that were accessible that required several months for me to discover, again, back in 2006.

The CTS does have some features the RL didn't have like Rainsense wipers, remote start, and the cool trick doors of the coupe. Not to mention a HDD and better iPod integration, although I think later TLs and the RLX now offer.

The SH-AWD, although FWD based, was much more sophisticated than that in the CTS, but you really had to push it in corners to notice, harder than most people who buy that car do.

Agreed with the voice control. Even to this day, you can't change the temperature with CUE amongst many other things that you can do in the Acuras. I keep saying to myself "maybe next year the Cadillacs will implement it". (wishful thinking I know)

blankster is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI

I live near Chicago and the Tribune did an article on the RLX - Their report - Basically it drives too much like an Accord to justify the price. Much better vehicles out there in the same segment.

typo681 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough View Post
    Final note and I'll stop geeking out: Many folks don't realize that Caddy is quite a leader in lighting technology. In addition to the early adoption of LEDs in the '92 Sevilles, the 2000 Deville was the first car with all-led brake lights, and the '08 CTS was one of the first to use LED light tubes front and rear, and current Escalade Platinum is one of the first vehicles to use all-LED headlights.
    Cadillac's leadership in lighting technology even goes back to the early 1950's! Cadillac/Oldsmobile introduced a new system called 'Autronic Eye' that automatically dimmed the high-beam headlights! That feature was way ahead of its time and in the last 10 years has resurfaced.

As much as a don't want to say it, I think Benz and some other german counterparts have taken the cake with new lighting technology. Their systems called "Adaptive High Beam Assist" selectively shade certain LEDs to eliminate glare for oncoming cars while still maintaining maximum lighting for the driver. So instead of having just a "high" and "low" the system has 100's of different lighting patterns that maximize visibility for the driver.

As an engineer and previous Audi owner, I would have to slightly disagree with whoever was wary of Audi's LEDs. I'd be more concerned with the Kia's and Ford's that now use LED drls, since they are likely using lower quality parts. I've already seen one new 2012 Ford Taurus with one side of their DRL burnt out (they didn't have their turn signal on so there wasn't any reason for one side to not be illuminated).

typo, thanks for the additional info. And who could forget Twilight Sentinel! (For some reason I love that term and that they still use it. Such a throwback to the '50s like the term HydraMatic. Feels like you're in "Grease.")

Agree that LED reliability wouldn't concern me as much in an Audi than in a Ford or Kia. The Ford LED strips used on cars like the Escape aren't even very bright and just LOOK fragile. And as far as the Korean brands have come on styling, they still need to prove themselves in all areas - including LED reliability - in my eyes. They remind me of Chrysler in the '90s, selling on style only to have the cars age quickly and fall apart. We'll see what those Optimas and Sonatas look like in five years...

By the way apparently the German brands are having some trouble getting those trick LED headlight systems approved by the DOT here in the U.S. Maybe they'll be able to lobby for changes in the laws ala Ford in the '80s when they got composite headlights approved.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.