Priming the coolant fluid
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By CTSCHICK
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Priming the coolant fluid in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I overheated yesterday and found I block off hose that was cracked and dry rotted causing a leak. I replaced ...
    dugunz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Priming the coolant fluid

I overheated yesterday and found I block off hose that was cracked and dry rotted causing a leak. I replaced the hose and filled the radiator tank to the top with fluid. (Took about 3/4 gallon) The car is still running hot after a short drive... Do I need to prime the system? How would I do that? I don't even know where to start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Re: Priming the coolant fluid

When you say you topped it off with fluid, you do mean a mixture of fluid and water right?

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by rchern
    When you say you topped it off with fluid, you do mean a mixture of fluid and water right?
    That would depend on the fluid? If its already prediluted or not

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    That would depend on the fluid? If its already prediluted or not
    I didn't know that some came prediluted. I have a container of GM Dexcool and their instructions want you to mix it with water. I'll have to pay attention in the future.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

You probably either need to add more coolant or you have air pockets in the coolant, these cars don't have bleeders like the older cars used to.
    They fill the coolant coolant systems with a vacuum system hooked to an air line now that forces air in to the system to check for leaks than that air is used to suck the new coolant in while pushing all of the air out of the coolant system.

I bought my b.f. one a few years ago for Christmas it is pretty cool to watch he hooks it the radiator or coolant overflow tank depending on the car then hooks the air line to it to pressurize the coolant system, Then lets it sit there pressurized while monitoring the vacuum gauge after he is sure the system is holding pressure.
    he puts a hose into a coolant container then hits the switch on the gauge then all of thar pressurized air in the system sucks the coolant in while pushing all of the air out.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    You probably either need to add more coolant or you have air pockets in the coolant, these cars don't have bleeders like the older cars used to.
    They fill the coolant coolant systems with a vacuum system hooked to an air line now that forces air in to the system to check for leaks than that air is used to suck the new coolant in while pushing all of the air out of the coolant system.

I bought my b.f. one a few years ago for Christmas it is pretty cool to watch he hooks it the radiator or coolant overflow tank depending on the car then hooks the air line to it to pressurize the coolant system, Then lets it sit there pressurized while monitoring the vacuum gauge after he is sure the system is holding pressure.
    he puts a hose into a coolant container then hits the switch on the gauge then all of thar pressurized air in the system sucks the coolant in while pushing all of the air out.
    Almost. That system uses the pressurized air feed to create a vacuum in the system. The system is not pressurized, it is placed into a state of vacuum, typically 20-25". He's monitoring the vacuum reading to see if it holds a vacuum. Once the system is deemed to hold vacuum properly, then the opening of the valve allows the vacuum in the system to draw in the coolant. Placing the system under vacuum draws out the air eliminating air pockets when the vacuum is released drawing in the coolant.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Close enough for me
    tinman and tinman like this.

ztollon is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    If its the upper hose fill hose full of coolant so it fills the block, holdig the hose straight up allows air pockets to escape, hook ut back up top off the fluid. Then run the vehicle with the heat on full blast with the cap off. That should get the rest of the air out.. if that doesn't work your t-stat is faulty or another hose is messed up. Thats straight from all-data btw..

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Always use distilled water, too. Not tap water. Maybe it is time for a flush 'n' fill.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.