Shift Indicator in Sport Mode ('13 vs '09)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Shift Indicator in Sport Mode ('13 vs '09) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; OK, I took my 09 CTS in for service Friday and got a '13 base CTS for a loaner for ...
    HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Question Shift Indicator in Sport Mode ('13 vs '09)

OK, I took my 09 CTS in for service Friday and got a '13 base CTS for a loaner for the day. When driving it, I noticed that in the '13 CTS, when putting the trans into Sport Mode (just move the shifter to the right but DO NOT shift using the shifter), in the '13, the dash indicator showed the gear changes from 1 through 6 as I drove. In my '09, this gear indicator only works when in Manual Mode (shifter to the right and manually shifting by moving the shifter forward or backwards).

1) Is this normal for the '09 to NOT show the gear in Sport Mode?

2) If #1 is yes, is there a software update that can be applied to the '09 to make this work like the '13?

I really liked seeing the gear indicator change, I don't know why, but I liked seeing it, and would like to see it in the '09 if at all possible.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Re: Shift Indicator in Sport Mode ('13 vs '09)

(1) Yes. 08-09 do not show gear number when in Sport mode. They only show when in Manual mode.
    (2) M.Y. 10+ has this feature. Not sure if 08-09 can receive software update for this.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Same here with my 2010. IMHO it's a great feature, hope you find out how to enable this in 2008-2009.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I believe it happened when the paddle shifters became available. This way you can choose your gear. Even in full automatic mode if I tap the paddle it will immediately shift and show the gear selected. a few seconds later if no other shifting is done it returns to full automatic with no gear selection shown. Since other have tried to retrofit paddles to 08-09's without success I think there is no way to retro fit.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess
    I believe it happened when the paddle shifters became available. This way you can choose your gear. Even in full automatic mode if I tap the paddle it will immediately shift and show the gear selected. a few seconds later if no other shifting is done it returns to full automatic with no gear selection shown. Since other have tried to retrofit paddles to 08-09's without success I think there is no way to retro fit.
    The feature is available whether or not you have paddle shifters.

My '12 premium coupe does not have the paddle shifters, but I still have the gear displayed in sport mode.

Mistercoffee2 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I have retrofitted the steering wheel mounted shift switches (paddles were never offered by GM) to my 08. Very simple process.
    Cost about $100. Requires steering wheel removal, must have some skill with hand tools and soldering.

They work when the shift lever is in sport mode. Display works same as shifting with lever.

json3144 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Black Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistercoffee2

I have retrofitted the steering wheel mounted shift switches (paddles were never offered by GM) to my 08. Very simple process.
    Cost about $100. Requires steering wheel removal, must have some skill with hand tools and soldering.

They work when the shift lever is in sport mode. Display works same as shifting with lever.

I'd love to see the finished product!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I guess I'm wrong. Must have been a senior moment that lasted all day long

Quote Originally Posted by json3144 View Post
    I'd love to see the finished product!
    Not much to see after the wheel is mounted. Here is a photo before mounting.

dekes1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Mistercoffee2 , it would be much appreciated if you could write up a summary of how you retrofit the wheel to your 08. Specifically, I'd be indebted if you could outline the wiring circuits you modified. Thanks!

Yes I will. Long overdue. But first let me be very clear. In this threat, and others, I said that I have retrofitted the steering wheel shift buttons to my 2008 CTS. That is true and they function exactly as the shifter lever does. But there was a lot of talk about the functions for the instrument panel gear indicator on different year models and that does not change with my mod. That must be a change in the BCM software in later models. What it does with the shift lever it will do with the buttons.

I need to do this write up because it is a relatively simple mod, not expensive and lots of fun.

Coming soon, as in this week, I promise. EDIT: OOPS, out of town through next week 6/7.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Thanks! I may be interested myself as I "tinker" way too much

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.