2008 CTS is my cts RWD OR AWD? Strut questin as well
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS is my cts RWD OR AWD? Strut questin as well in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; i just bought my CTS 2008, WHITE, and im wondering if my car is RWD or AWD, i believe its ...
    a847297 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

2008 CTS is my cts RWD OR AWD? Strut questin as well

i just bought my CTS 2008, WHITE, and im wondering if my car is RWD or AWD, i believe its RWD, because i only paid like 11,500 from craigslist. i wanted also to know where can i purchase struts? i was told by replacing struts car feels better when driving on bumps and stuff like that, right now it feels pretty bad when hitting bumps and i was told by a mechanic from jiffy lube, that i had to replace the front struts because they were gone, car only has 73,000 miles!, i need help finding out where i can purchase struts cause auto zone, and all those stores dont sell cadillac struts!, i wanna know what struts will make my drive feel smoth when hitting bumps or bad roads. what brand and i also dont wanna spend much, i was thinking 300 bucks for both at most since i also have to pay for installation, also i heard cadillac struts use gas or air, im really lost id appreciate any help!

PS. i tried looking under the spare tire as i had seen in another post, but i cant see any signs that say anything about suspension fe1 fe2 or f3, would my VYn number help?? anyways this it it:
    VYN: 1G6DM577680109230

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by a847297
    i just bought my CTS 2008, WHITE, and im wondering if my car is RWD or AWD, i believe its RWD, because i only paid like 11,500 from craigslist. i wanted also to know where can i purchase struts? i was told by replacing struts car feels better when driving on bumps and stuff like that, right now it feels pretty bad when hitting bumps and i was told by a mechanic from jiffy lube, that i had to replace the front struts because they were gone, car only has 73,000 miles!, i need help finding out where i can purchase struts cause auto zone, and all those stores dont sell cadillac struts!, i wanna know what struts will make my drive feel smoth when hitting bumps or bad roads. what brand and i also dont wanna spend much, i was thinking 300 bucks for both at most since i also have to pay for installation, also i heard cadillac struts use gas or air, im really lost id appreciate any help!

PS. i tried looking under the spare tire as i had seen in another post, but i cant see any signs that say anything about suspension fe1 fe2 or f3, would my VYn number help?? anyways this it it:
    VYN: 1G6DM577680109230

Thanks in advance
    First off check the the emblem on the trunk lid.

CTS4 = AWD
    CTS = RWD

As for the struts, don't trust an opinion from some guy at Jiffy Lube. Those guys aren't mechanics.

You need to take it to a real mechanic to see if the struts are bad. typically when a strut/shock goes bad you get a very bouncy and floaty ride! Not a firm ride. Lastly, if you're expecting your Cadillac to have the soft floaty ride of the old Cadillacs, you will be disappointed. The CTS is more of a performance luxury sedan which would ride nothing like traditional Cadillacs. The base (FE1) suspension is the most forgiving. The sport (FE2) suspension is a bit firmer. The Performance package (FE3) has the firmest suspension and it is not available in AWD models.

popacork is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Crystal Red

Re: 2008 CTS is my cts RWD OR AWD? Strut questin as well

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    The base (FE1) suspension is the most forgiving. The sport (FE2) suspension is a bit firmer. The Performance package (FE3) has the firmest suspension and it is not available in AWD models.
    gohawks63, I have the FE5 suspension on mine. Is that also the firmest suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by popacork

gohawks63, I have the FE5 suspension on mine. Is that also the firmest suspension?
    I am not aware of that being offered on the 2nd gen CTS. I think it was part of the performance package of the 1st gen model.

I think from what I can see it comes closest to the FE3 suspension on the 2nd gen.
    It included rear load leveling. Other features were 18" wheels and speed sensitive variable power assist steering.

I am not aware of that being offered on the 2nd gen CTS. I think it was part of the performance package of the 1st gen model.

I think from what I can see it comes closest to the FE3 suspension on the 2nd gen.
    It included rear load leveling. Other features were 18" wheels and speed sensitive variable power assist steering.
    The build sheet says: FE5-19" All Season Tire Package: (replaces wheels, tires,suspension above). Wheels, 19" polished aluminum. Tires, all season. Tap shift manual shift control.

The "suspension above" that was replaced is listed as 7NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by popacork

The build sheet says: FE5-19" All Season Tire Package: (replaces wheels, tires,suspension above). Wheels, 19" polished aluminum. Tires, all season. Tap shift manual shift control.

The "suspension above" that was replaced is listed as 7NZ.
    What year is your car? I am guessing you have the RWD with the summer tire or the touring package. Both of those come with the firmer Performance suspension (FE3).

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by popacork View Post
    The FE5 was a wheel and tire package but did not pretain to the suspension. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...iy-thread.html (See post #9)

Look under your spare tire lid or post your VIN here for a dealer to find out.

What year is your car? I am guessing you have the RWD with the summer tire or the touring package. Both of those come with the firmer Performance suspension (FE3).
    2012 RWD with All Season Tire Package

----------

Quote Originally Posted by OMG View Post
    The FE5 was a wheel and tire package but did not pretain to the suspension. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...iy-thread.html (See post #9)

Look under your spare tire lid or post your VIN here for a dealer to find out.
    Thanks, build sheet says Y42, so I guess it has the FE2 suspension.

a847297 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

so i went to a mechanic, and he said that the struts have oil leak, i also read online that cts's struts go bad quickly cause they use another type of air or gas something like that. anyways i looked under the spare tire lid, and i found a bunchh of letters and numbers but on the second row i can see it says FE1 and then FE9 then more letters, im assuming its FE1? but why does it say FE9? anyways can someone link me to a good brand struts?? i just want a normal ride smoothest possible, im sure if this ones are bad its definitely gonna feel better lol, Thanks in advance!

----------

ooh, and it is RWD it does not say CTS4 and also a mechanic checked under the car and said RWD =)

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by a847297 View Post
    so i went to a mechanic, and he said that the struts have oil leak, i also read online that cts's struts go bad quickly cause they use another type of air or gas something like that. anyways i looked under the spare tire lid, and i found a bunchh of letters and numbers but on the second row i can see it says FE1 and then FE9 then more letters, im assuming its FE1? but why does it say FE9? anyways can someone link me to a good brand struts?? i just want a normal ride smoothest possible, im sure if this ones are bad its definitely gonna feel better lol, Thanks in advance!
    ----------

ooh, and it is RWD it does not say CTS4 and also a mechanic checked under the car and said RWD =)
    No clue where the comment on the struts going bad. My shocks have 75k mi's on them between Minesota, Wisconsin (really crappy roads) and Illinois. They are perfectly fine no leaks and they ride great (could be firmer) but 4300lbs and AWD, not really expecting much. I'll be attempting to upgrade to FE3 when they go bad.

You can get OEM ones from www.rockauto.com and use 1376153311265608 coupon (or just search for a new one if that is expired) and you can get another 5% off which would put it cheaper then anywhere else even GMpartsdirect.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

but why does it say FE9?

FE9
    Emissions, Federal requirements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.