Jag XF or CTS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Jag XF or CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm right now looking at options - 2009-10 CTS or 2009-10 Jaguar XF. The two cars are more similar than ...
    MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Jag XF or CTS?

I'm right now looking at options - 2009-10 CTS or 2009-10 Jaguar XF. The two cars are more similar than one might think. I'd be able to get AWD in the CTS, but not the XF (was introduced by Jaguar in 2013). Both can be found in good condition for under $30k (2010 Jag it's a stretch). Much easier to find nav in the Jag, and that's an option I will want. The CTS won't allow me to Bluetooth stream audio from my Android phone, but thinking I can simply use the USB hookup for that purpose. From what I can tell the CTS with 3.6L GDI performs on a par with the 4.2L base Jaguar V8, while the 5L Jag will blow those two cars away (at a price that's getting outside my budget).

I'm thinking service will be substantially more expensive on the Jag, but not sure about overall reliability or ownership experience. I'm looking to get input from anyone who may have owned both, or had experience with both. Any help out there? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Re: Jag XF or CTS?

Owned an '08 CTS AWD Premium (whatever it was - had everything). Now have 10 Jag XF Portfolio. There is no comparison whatsoever between the two vehicles. None.

First, the CTS was a garage queen, constantly at the dealer. The Jag has been so refreshing, in that it's had a couple of issues, but nothing at all like the CTS. No ultra-squeak roof, no exploding lumbar support, no air bag lights flashing, no timing chain replacements, no seat ventilation not working, no rattling back deck, no dash full of squeaks, no rotors constantly needing replacement, it just went on and on and on. Even if the Caddy hadn't always been in for repair, there still isn't a comparison in the real world.

Cost of repair? Don't know - Jags have 6 year warranty, so everything's been on the house, and the CTS was also under warranty (thank goodness)
    Service - My Caddy dealer (Bayview in Fort Laud) was very good, but Alpine Jag in F.L. takes it to another whole level. Imagine an XK loaner - (yes, really)

Remember, you're looking at a mass produced luxury car versus a somewhat limited piece that competes in the big leagues. Some differences:

Real Leather dash,
    Suede a-pillars and headliner,
    Heated steering wheel,
    The old world smell of real leather when you open the door,
    The feel of real quality leather when you sit on it
    A bellowing V8 that actually hauls butt when you hit the gas instead of just making noise, with BETTER (by 2-3mpg) fuel consumption. I had the 3.6di and was always surprised at what a slug it was, while sucking gas, and after having (too many) loaners and rentals, I know it wasn't necessarily different than the norm.
    A B&W sound system that sounds like music versus noise, (even the Jag base system is light years better than the Blose system in the CTS) Take your own CD's or ipod and confirm, (it should take about 10 seconds)
    Paddle shifters that really work and let it run like a performance vehicle,
    Much longer wheel basethat makes it much more of a GT car
    World class brakes that slow in relation to pressure versus feeling like you're pressing harder or softer against a wall (nothing wrong with the Caddy's brakes, in fact they're good, but these are in Porsche, BMW league)
    A GPS that can actually find an address,
    Exclusivity versus seeing yourself on every street. Much less prone to "urbanizing" with dubs and other atrocities.
    Paint quality, interior finish and materials not comparable - the real materials versus a good imitation
    So cool when you press the glowing start button and the vents twirl open and the shifter rises out of the console

Caddy - Caddy controls laid out better, versus the screen you have to go though on the Jag. Outward rear visibility better in the Caddy. Although the Jag's longer, the Caddy has a bigger rear seat.

At the end of the day, no comparison whatsoever, and probably no better illustration of the phrase "you get what you pay for". I loved the CTS in spite of it being a giant PITA, and even took pictures of it the last morning I had it, but would I go back - not a chance for all of the reasons above and more (still smile everytime I see it - it's beautiful).

That being said, go for a 10 XF and not a 09, as the 4.2 is a leftover, but the 5.0L is the real deal. Great engine, and sounds so beautiful if you happen to like V8 noises .

If you really are interested in the XF, just drive both cars back-to-back, and your decision will be made instantly. Not even close, not even close.

(awaiting RAB's predictable fan boy hissy-fit)

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    I love my CTS coupe but I did take along hard look at the XF. Unfortunately I wanted new and I could have stretched the extra to get the Jag with the options I wanted (almost all :-( ) but then I couldn't stretch the insurance. The yearly cost for my coupe when I got it was $2,100 but the Jag was $5,400.

I LOVE the Jag and always will. It is an amazing ride and drive. Looks gorgeous too but in the end I couldn't afford it. That being said I love my coupe a lot but if you can afford it grab the Jag. But if you can't you still won't go wrong with the CTS. Both of them are great cars and the 08s had problems because its the first year but in the same boat so did the 09 Jag.

Your opening an unmarked box you don't know what's inside until you have it. Oh and don't skimp out. Get as many features as you can get on both. The more you have I find the happier you are. :-P

Good luck

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Maxbuck, you are sort of answering your own questions about cost and other issues, but let me add my 2 cents. First, I have not driven a newer Jag, but have only explored a build of one on their website (more interested in an XK but that price is out of reach for now). I'm actually very surprised that there is not more discussion about Jags on here and everyone seems to compare our cars to the Germans when complaining about or praising the CTS, when Jaguar should be in the mix as well with those discussions.

Anyway, here's my take. Snofun brings up interesting points, but my only quibble with his argument is that he owned a 2008 CTS and 2010 XF. I don't think it's a fair comparison not only for the two year difference in technological updates, but more importantly the well documented issues that the 2008 had. If snofun had a 2010 CTS, it would at least be a closer comparison. He also makes other great points that I can't argue with and that should be considered. And if it were based on looks alone between these two sedans, I'm afraid I'd choose the Jag. Ah, but looks aren't the only thing in this equation as shown by your original post. Bang for buck, features, reliability, seem to be major considerations, as well they should be. Jagillac brings up a great, often overlooked issue: insurance. I know when I was comparing the various luxury brands, the Cadillac insurance was always the cheapest. I can also tell you, anecdotally, that if you're buying a used Jag, expect to pay more for parts and labor. Finally, on reliability, you may be aware that Jaguar has a terrible reputation for reliability and having known a couple owners of older ones, there's a good reason for that. However, I believe that Jaguar reliability as well as 2010+ Cadillac reliability are at least even with each other at this point, although I'm sure you'll find a couple semi-lemons with either brand you choose.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

I could not fit in the Jag, center console was too high. no way i would drive 25,000 miles a year in that car so ti was an easy decision for me

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    To each his own...I disliked the interior layout of the jag but the rest of the car is very nice. I'm satisfied with my 08 knowing its a first year and has had less than half the issues the other 08s are running into! Will be trading soon but am having a tough time making up my mind...may wait to see the 2014 CTS.

No doubt there's validity that my '08, being an early model was apparently more problem prone, but mine was just off the hook as far as problems.

Also, just for full disclosure, the Jag has had an issue with a rattling sunroof mechanism (locktighted all the screws - 6 months later still fine), a radiator hose that failed (replaced), and an overhead light that turns on/off by itself (twice - apparently chronic problem with the proximity "feature"), but that's it. It's been great. I see what CR says about the reliability, but honest, my problems have been like stupid small.

Regarding insurance, I went from $1,200 for the Caddy, to (get ready), $1,300 for the Jag. No biggee. You guys are really looking at big numbers. I didn't think south FL was necessarily cheap, so I'm surprised. Mid 50's clean record.

I don't buy new, so pricewise, if you're looking at a newish CTS, you might be surprised how close the difference is. I paid $41,000 for an 18 month old, 22,000mile CPO car, in "Portfolio" trim (EVERYTHING!), with additional upgrades of Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) 2,200watt sound system (really good, but still sometimes lacking - the new Meridian is better), and 20 inch (factory upgrade) wheels that seem to scrape on every corner. You could pay that for a year old CTS, and there's truly no comparison.

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by snofun3
    No doubt there's validity that my '08, being an early model was apparently more problem prone, but mine was just off the hook as far as problems.

Also, just for full disclosure, the Jag has had an issue with a rattling sunroof mechanism (locktighted all the screws - 6 months later still fine), a radiator hose that failed (replaced), and an overhead light that turns on/off by itself (twice - apparently chronic problem with the proximity "feature"), but that's it. It's been great. I see what CR says about the reliability, but honest, my problems have been like stupid small.

Regarding insurance, I went from $1,200 for the Caddy, to (get ready), $1,300 for the Jag. No biggee. You guys are really looking at big numbers. I didn't think south FL was necessarily cheap, so I'm surprised. Mid 50's clean record.

I don't buy new, so pricewise, if you're looking at a newish CTS, you might be surprised how close the difference is. I paid $41,000 for an 18 month old, 22,000mile CPO car, in "Portfolio" trim (EVERYTHING!), with additional upgrades of Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) 2,200watt sound system (really good, but still sometimes lacking - the new Meridian is better), and 20 inch (factory upgrade) wheels that seem to scrape on every corner. You could pay that for a year old CTS, and there's truly no comparison.
    I wish you hadn't received such a crappy CTS but am pleased to hear that you found what you wanted and went for it! The sound system in the Jag is just plain sick when compared to the CTS "premium" Bose sound system. (in a good way of course) Granted, I do think the CTS sound system is adequate for my needs BUT would love it if Cadillac switched to a better brand.

Regarding insurance rates, that's not a bad increase at all. When I had my insurance company run rates on a 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD Performance, it came up just about the same at 85 dollars more per year. (a similar quote was provided to me on a 2013 CTS 3.6 AWD Performance...95 dollars more)

Thanks for your honesty as well throughout all your posts. (not trying to stir the pot with others here) Hope to see ya around the forum!

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Drove a 5.0L Jag today. Wow. Incredible power; connected to the road even better than my old Bimmer 545i. If it were closer in price to the CTS it would be a no-brainer, but I'm looking at minimum $12k additional to get into the 2010 5.0L Jag vs. a nice 2009 GDI AWD CTS with nav. And honestly, the Caddy's Bose system was better than the B&W in the Jag (I was very disappointed in the sound system, though everything else was just incredible). Neither one allows Bluetooth streaming of music from my Android phone, but both have USB so no probs there.

Probably will pull the trigger on the CTS tomorrow (per wife's likely direction), but will think in 3 years about that Jag again. No bad decision possible in this one, I'm thinking. Thanks loads for all the valuable thoughts!

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

I just read an article the other day that identified cars that depreciate the fastest and the Jag, I forget which model, is at the top of the list. The Jag they looked at cost ~$60,000 new and in five years was basically worthless. The cost of ownership for 5 years was something like $80,000. I'll see if I can find the article and post a link to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentybucks View Post
    I just read an article the other day that identified cars that depreciate the fastest and the Jag, I forget which model, is at the top of the list. The Jag they looked at cost ~$60,000 new and in five years was basically worthless. The cost of ownership for 5 years was something like $80,000. I'll see if I can find the article and post a link to it.
    Whish is why you can buy a used one and get twice the car for the same money. Simple really.

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

Maybe so snofun but a car that depreciates that fast and by that much makes me want to think it turns into a POS very quickly.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Doesn't look like Jag's have really changed from past problems. Cost as much to maintain as it does to buy them.

Your mileage may vary though!

Quote Originally Posted by Twentybucks View Post
    Maybe so snofun but a car that depreciates that fast and by that much makes me want to think it turns into a POS very quickly.
    Well at least that's better than the CTS I had that was a POS from day 1.

And if they depreciate so quickly, then how come we have guys here saying they can't afford? Maybe time to check what the facts are, and maybe look at it from a % point of view. My 08 CTS sold for 53k new, and only had a 24k residual, or less than half 3 years later. Sorry to burst your bubble, but a 09 (or 10) XF is % wise, holding much better. Sorry.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

I like almost everything about the Jaguar XF. Not loving the look of its front grille, but could probably learn to live with it.
    If I was in the market for another car I'd consider the Jag XF along with the BMW 5 series and upcoming 4 series Coupe.
    My '11 CTS hasn't given me any trouble so far, and I still like/enjoy the car - therefore see no reason to change vehicles at this time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.