Jag XF or CTS? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Jag XF or CTS? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by RAB I like almost everything about the Jaguar XF. Not loving the look of its front grille, ...
    OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Re: Jag XF or CTS?

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    I like almost everything about the Jaguar XF. Not loving the look of its front grille, but could probably learn to live with it.
    If I was in the market for another car I'd consider the Jag XF along with the BMW 5 series and upcoming 4 series Coupe.
    My '11 CTS hasn't given me any trouble so far, and I still like/enjoy the car - therefore see no reason to change vehicles at this time.
    Whatever you get hope you'll consider a 3rd gen CTS, the community needs helpful people like you. Although the current gen 5 series is a wonderful car and I wouldn't mind one but it will be a long time I replace my CTS.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Since we're talking about cars we would consider, I thought I'd post this link about 25 cars worth waiting for.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...142017-feature

Since I'll be sticking with a coupe regardless, I've narrowed my choices down to the BMW 4 series, the SRT Barracuda, and two Cadillacs, the ELR, and the ATS coupe (not listed but we know it's coming). Since most of those in the article are "renderings" I'll wait and see what piques my interest in a couple years. (Truth be told, my first choice would be the Alpha but that's too far out of the budget). Also, as a former Grand National owner, I'll be keeping my eye on that as well, but I fear it may not live up to expectations.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Ended up with the CTS! A 2009 AWD, 21,000 miles, direct-injection with premium luxury package and Blue Diamond tricoat for $22,900. Absolutely pristine.

As my wife said, this may be the single greatest bargain purchase I have ever made. I expect the police to be at my door any day with a felony warrant.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    Ended up with the CTS! A 2009 AWD, 21,000 miles, direct-injection with premium luxury package and Blue Diamond tricoat for $22,900. Absolutely pristine.

As my wife said, this may be the single greatest bargain purchase I have ever made. I expect the police to be at my door any day with a felony warrant.
    Congrats! You made an excellent choice!!!

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

Congrats! Here is the statement about the JAG depreciation rate:

The Jaguar XJ may not only be pricey to buy, but it turns out it is also expensive to own. According to IntelliChoice, the 2013 Jaguar XJ loses $52,014 of its value in five years and has a complete cost of ownership of $92,175 for five years.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto...#ixzz2TUFxqsT9
    Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook

----------

How about a picture!

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Probably should be careful how far you want to get on this- this is what Forbes says regarding resale, and yes, there's two Jags, and, oh, oh my, 3 Caddys:

Forbes List Of 10 Worst Residual Valued Luxury Cars - Kelley Blue Book Values

10. Cadillac SRX V8
    MSRP: $43,870
    Residual Value After Five Years: 27 percent*

9. Ford Expedition V8 4WD
    MSRP: $32,895
    Residual Value After Five Years: 27 percent

8. Cadillac DTS V8
    MSRP: $41,990
    Residual Value After Five Years: 26 percent*

7. Cadillac STS V6
    MSRP: $42,765

6. Lincoln MKZ AWD
    MSRP: $31,765

5. Mercedes-Benz E550
    MSRP: $59,775

4. Jaguar S-Type V6
    MSRP: $49,000
    Residual Value After Five Years: 25 percent*

3. Jaguar X-Type Sedan and Wagon
    MSRP: 34,995
    Residual Value After Five Years: 25 percent

2. Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    MSRP: $30,320
    Residual Value After Five Years: 23 percent*

1. Lincoln Town Car
    MSRP: $42,985
    Residual Value After Five Years: 17 percent*

And, let's be careful regarding exactly what year CTS' are POS. Sure my horrible '08 was first year, but check out all the 09, 10 and 11's that continue to have myriad problems here. You'd figure after 3 or 4 years they'd have figured out how to cure the vibration problems. Let's see, here's the top thread from Wagonhead: 2010 CTS Front End Vibration!!! I need it to Stop!!, Oh, a 2010, that's third year of production - right?

or maybe DaPurpleRT's pleading in: "Please Read, Please Help", where the car is captioned as "Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4 (Quality & Reliability Nightmare)", and we could go op and on. That would be second year, eh?

I loved my CTS while I had it, but it was a really miserable experience, and spent as much time in the dealer bay as in my garage, and being first year doesn't seem to matter much from what I see here, with 09, and 10 ++ well represented.

The Jag has been refreshingly dealer and service-free in comparison to the Caddy, and the level of performance, quality of materials and fit and finish aren't even close to being in the same world.

Look at what the guy here got - "A 2009 AWD, 21,000 miles, direct-injection with premium luxury package and Blue Diamond tricoat for $22,900"

So, what kind of drubbing do you think the seller took if this fellow bought it for $23k! Before getting too snooty about other resale values, start thinking about YOURS is worth ( ).

Maybe you're the one who should have been careful when you came out and bashed the CTS right off. Anybody who thinks $92,175 to own a car for 5 years must like taking it in the shorts.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

It's obvious that snofun3 is just having too much fun bashing the CTS. I suggest that we IGNORE his posts and maybe he will crawl back under his Jag and leave this site.

Just my 2 cents. I'm guilty of responding to his posts too.

Marv

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

I really don't care how much the previous owner of my car took it in the shorts. I've taken it in the shorts myself, on a car that was phenomenal (BMW 545i). So the quality of the car and the amount it depreciates are essentially unrelated.

Look at the Toyota Camry. Hardly depreciates at all, but I'd never want to own one. Both the CTS and the Jag are terrific autos (and honestly I think the Jag is more terrific), but there are lemons in both populations. So what? I'm happy with my choice.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

During my 30+ years of car ownership I purchased many cars, most of the brand new. The depreciation was never factor in my decision making process. NEVER! I always went for a car I liked and could afford. Period.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFex
    During my 30+ years of car ownership I purchased many cars, most of the brand new. The depreciation was never factor in my decision making process. NEVER! I always went for a car I liked and could afford. Period.
    Ditto that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    It's obvious that snofun3 is just having too much fun bashing the CTS. I suggest that we IGNORE his posts and maybe he will crawl back under his Jag and leave this site.

Just my 2 cents. I'm guilty of responding to his posts too.

Marv
    I can never understand why people who no longer own a particular vehicle enjoy coming back to a forum and bash their previous car on a forum dedicated to people who happen to like and are enthusiastic about their vehicles.
    Tbbt and Tbbt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentybucks

I can never understand why people who no longer own a particular vehicle enjoy coming back to a forum and bash their previous car on a forum dedicated to people who happen to like and are enthusiastic about their vehicles.
    Ditto that too. No one asking you to be a fan boy, but if you can't add anything constructive to the conversation then move on. I still participate on the Acura forums. I will be critical when need be, but also try to add positive contributions to a debate or discussion. If you can't do that then I wonder why do you return?
    RAB and RAB like this.

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Add to the list pos cars that hold their value, Late model civics. Total carp yet they seem to be the same price through out the cycle. I don't think it's a reason to buy. The Cts is a bargain if you buy slightly used as most of the deprecation is year one.

I have yet to see a jag that has the visual impact and uniqueness of a CTS coupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv
    Add to the list pos cars that hold their value, Late model civics. Total carp yet they seem to be the same price through out the cycle. I don't think it's a reason to buy. The Cts is a bargain if you buy slightly used as most of the deprecation is year one.

I have yet to see a jag that has the visual impact and uniqueness of a CTS coupe.
    How can you say a Civic is total crap? It has been consistently been one of the most reliable vehicles while offering a reasonable amount of sportiness and value compared to the other econoboxes out there? Even when Honda took some heat and cut some corners in the redesign a couple of years ago, specifically with the interiors, Consumer Reports bashed them for it, but said "it will still run forever". Honda took the criticism to heart and quickly made updates to it in the following model year. These are reasons why the Civic consistently maintains it's value over the years. It has built a reputation that has endured over all the redesigns.

You may not like the styling of it and it may not be a car that you would drive, but it is one of the most venerable cars ever made. It is far from crap.

On the flip side, while I agree with you that the CTS coupe is one of the most visually impactful cars out there, that alone does not make it a great car. It has been rated as one of the most reliable domestic cars on the road along with providing a decent amount of value, but GM and especially Cadillac, while getting better, has a long way to go to build a consistent and proven track record like Honda and especially the Civic has. You know they will be getting there when reviewers no longer put qualifiers like "best domestic model", on the accolades.

For the record, I own a CTS coupe and have never owned a Civic.
    MoFex and MoFex like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.