premium gasolene
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, premium gasolene in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I am sure this has been addressed too many times - so once more cannot hurt, I have a 2008 ...
    mrkymrk65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts di

premium gasolene

I am sure this has been addressed too many times - so once more cannot hurt, I have a 2008 CTS 3.6 direct inject and just had the inject service done. It really has some squat and go now, I bought the car with 17500 0n it and now it has 34500 and I have had it for just over 14 months. Is is worth moving to the BP ultimate and staying away from the WAWA or like ....... or would a branded 93 such as shell, exon, sunnoco, and add BG every 5000 be good to go.

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    What kind of gas was recommended as per the owners manual? I know for 2012 it's regular, so 87 does fine for me

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Re: premium gasolene

87 is recommended for me with the 3.6 non-di. I go with that and seems fine for me as well. The owners manual recommends Top Tier gasoline. On my behalf, I have been fueling at Costco so far since the car is new and now at 52k miles, no problem in this regard.

Black'10CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '08 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '00 STS

When I took the '08 in for an engine light, it turned out to be a clogged injector. The GM techline guy said the direct injection engines really should be running Top Tier gas. Hit www.toptiergas.com and it lists all the brands that GM recommends. Personally, after dealing with the injector issue, we only go to Mobil or Shell.

As far as octane, the same tech said that it really doesnt matter, these engines were actually designed to run on 87 octane and the computer adjusts the timing if you run mid or premium. That being said, I run mid because thats what the owners manual recommends.
    mrkymrk65 and mrkymrk65 like this.

ROC OUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by like2drive View Post
    87 is recommended for me with the 3.6 non-di. I go with that and seems fine for me as well. The owners manual recommends Top Tier gasoline. On my behalf, I have been fueling at Costco so far since the car is new and now at 52k miles, no problem in this regard.
    That is correct, the owner's manual on my 2008 recommends Top Tier fuel brands. I run Chevron, Texaco, and Shell. All these have either detergent additives (Techron for Chevron and Texaco) or nitrogen-enriched additives (for Shell) that supposedly help keep the fuel system and valves cleaner. I like this idea. As for higher octane fuel, the owner's manual recommends 87 or higher octane. I have the DI system on my car and am experimenting with 87, 89, and 92 or 93 octane levels. So far, I have not seen much of a difference with 87 versus 92 or 93 octane but will keep changing until I am convinced that there is not the slightest difference in running one grade of octane fuel over another. Now, one other issue that you did not ask but I will offer my opinion on is which oil brand to use. GM recommends Mobil 1 full synthetic at 5W 30. I have been reading about a comparison of Mobil 1 versus the relatively new Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5W 30. This Pennzoil synthetic is supposed to keep the pistons and engine up to 25% cleaner than Mobil 1 synthetic. So, next oil change, I will be switching to Pennzoil Ultra in my '08 CTS (which I have only been owning for 1 month). I use it in my 2000 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1 engine and like it so far. I may have been sucked into the advertising-hype with the additives, etc. of gasoline and oil fluids but there should be some merit to the oil company claims. I know, all gasoline comes from the same place. But, it is how the fuel is refined and enhanced that allows me to justify spending a few more cents a gallon for a better quality fuel for my vehicles.

mrkymrk65 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts di

thank you, i do sometimes get caught up in the octane race days of old...... those days of youth and all, BP seems to be the fuel of choice from what i hear its just so many, the only consistency is stay away from convenience stuff (cheap)

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Search the forum for Top Tier Gas -- many people believe it's nothing more than advertising hype. The primary claim has to do with detergents in the gas, which ALL manufactures use, whether or not they choose to PAY to join the consortium behind the name so they can use it in their advertising.

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it, pro and con: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tie...rgent_Gasoline

Sandy Eggo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6DI RWD, '12 SRX 3.6DI AWD

The term "Premium", when referring to gas is a misnomer. What makes it different than "Regular" is that it can withstand a higher compression ratio without pre-detonation, or pinging. Since the compression ratio on the 3.6DI engine is as low as it is, spending the extra money on Premium doesn't benefit you. To your car, the only thing "Premium" is the price.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo
    The term "Premium", when referring to gas is a misnomer. What makes it different than "Regular" is that it can withstand a higher compression ratio without pre-detonation, or pinging. Since the compression ratio on the 3.6DI engine is as low as it is, spending the extra money on Premium doesn't benefit you. To your car, the only thing "Premium" is the price.
    So it doesn't improve performance? I have run mid grade in my last two caddie's even though they recommend 87 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
    You're only half right. True, "premium" gasoline has additives that enable it to be compressed more than "regular" or lower octane gasoline, which would ignite prematurely due to the compression. Such premature ignition causes knock and reduces the effective power of the engine.

However, the compression ratio in the 3.6DI engine is very high -- 11.5 to 1. Despite that, it can run on regular without prematurely igniting the fuel because of the direct injection system, which squirts the fuel into the combustion chamber under very high pressure at the precise moment of intended ignition.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft View Post
    So it doesn't improve performance? I have run mid grade in my last two caddie's even though they recommend 87 octane.
    short answer: no it wont.

Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft View Post
    Longer answer: no, it won't; what matters is that the gasoline not ignite prior to maximum compression. Because the 3.6DI engine's design allows that to happen with 87 octane gas, using higher octane gas -- that is, gas that can be compressed more without exploding -- won't improve the engine's performance nor will it increase the power the engine produces.

There MAY be exceptions -- IF your engine is knocking, especially under hard acceleration, either switch to higher octane or, better, try a different brand or a different gas station. Older stations tend to sell more contaminated fuels as water and dirt build up in their underground tanks over time, and there may be variation between the fuels produced by different refineries or at different times.

ROC OUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Search the forum for Top Tier Gas -- many people believe it's nothing more than advertising hype. The primary claim has to do with detergents in the gas, which ALL manufactures use, whether or not they choose to PAY to join the consortium behind the name so they can use it in their advertising.

Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it, pro and con: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tie...rgent_Gasoline
    Judge, this article covers the relevant issues pretty thoroughly and confirms my thinking on what Top Tier fuels contribute. This article also makes the point that Top Tier fuel companies provide much more detergent additives in their fuels (whether minimum or maximum octane content) than the minimum required by the EPA - "Typically, Top Tier gasolines will contain two to three times the amount of detergent additives currently required by the EPA. The extra additives are estimated to cost less than a cent per gallon. According to its auto industry research and to automotive journalists, all vehicles will benefit from using Top Tier Detergent Gasoline over gasoline meeting the basic EPA standard. New vehicles will supposedly benefit by keeping their engine clean and running optimally, older vehicles may benefit with increased engine performance and prolonged vehicle life."

So, I think that if an individual is concerned about the efficiency and longevity of the fuel injection/system and engine damage and repair, the point is well made here that Top Tier fuel from the companies qualified to provide same is and should be the fuel of choice.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Actually this is interesting - "Typically, Top Tier gasolines will contain two to three times the amount of detergent additives currently required by the EPA."
    I always fill-up at Costco and use their Clean Power gasoline. Costco provides gasoline with Clean Power (selected locations only) which according to their own words, contains five times EPA detergent requirements. Does this means that it could be considered as a Top Tier gasoline seller?

Other points of view:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...terstitialskip

http://money.msn.com/saving-money-ti...7-893358cdc8b6

----------

Quote Originally Posted by like2drive View Post
    Actually this is interesting - "Typically, Top Tier gasolines will contain two to three times the amount of detergent additives currently required by the EPA."
    I always fill-up at Costco and use their Clean Power gasoline. Costco provides gasoline with Clean Power (selected locations only) which according to their own words, contains five times EPA detergent requirements. Does this means that it could be considered as a Top Tier gasoline seller?
    They can't call it "Top Tier" unless they pay the fee to the consortium that owns the brand name.

----------

BTW, it's kinda hard NOT to buy Top Tier gas these days. Below is a list of the manufacturers that have paid the extortion --I mean the fee to avoid NOT being on the list. And one of these companies undoubtedly makes the gas sold at any of your local independent stations, which, as noted in the USA Today article, buy their fuels from whichever of the big boys is charging the least at the time they need it.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
    USA Canada
    76 Stations Chevron Canada
    Aloha Petroleum Esso
    Chevron Petro-Canada
    Conoco Shell Canada
    CountryMark
    Entec Stations
    Exxon
    Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
    Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
    Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
    MFA Oil Co.
    Mileage Stations
    Mobil
    Ohana Fuels
    Phillips 66
    Quik Trip
    Rebel Oil
    Road Ranger
    Severson Oil
    Shell
    Texaco
    Tri-Par Oil Co.
    U.S. Oil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.