premium gasolene - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, premium gasolene in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Apparently GM thought one was necessary for the 2014 Z28...
    CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: premium gasolene

Apparently GM thought one was necessary for the 2014 Z28

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the 1993-2011 run of NorthStar engines had a CAI also ... just wasn't really fancy lookin'
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK
    Apparently GM thought one was necessary for the 2014 Z28
    No one is saying that it isn't necessary or does not add any value. In your example, the car was designed to take advantage of the CAI. The same goes for the Mustang Shelby Cobras that come with a CAI from the factory.

What we're saying is that swapping out the stock air box for a CAI without reprogramming the engine management system to take advantage of the increased air flow will yield minimal, if any benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    No one is saying that it isn't necessary or does not add any value. In your example, the car was designed to take advantage of the CAI. The same goes for the Mustang Shelby Cobras that come with a CAI from the factory.

What we're saying is that swapping out the stock air box for a CAI without reprogramming the engine management system to take advantage of the increased air flow will yield minimal, if any benefits.
    Like I said GM made kits available through GMPP for cobalts, G5, Soltice, Sky that did not require a reflash or reprogram to compensate for the kits yet provided gains.

The only kits for Gm Cars that I have seen that specifically state tuning is required in order to use the kit has been Vararam but they also offer none tune required kits and those kits are the only ones I have seen requiring a tune after install.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK

Like I said GM made kits available through GMPP for cobalts, G5, Soltice, Sky that did not require a reflash or reprogram to compensate for the kits yet provided gains.

The only kits for Gm Cars that I have seen that specifically state tuning is required in order to use the kit has been Vararam but they also offer none tune required kits and those kits are the only ones I have seen requiring a tune after install.
    A Cold Air Intake, as the name implies, is supposed to direct colder, denser air into the engine that is supposed to offer more power. Things such as placement of the inlet, whether it is sufficiently distanced from engine heat, the tubing material and the amount of bends in the tubing all are factors on the effectiveness of a CAI, especially one that doesn't require a tune.

The tubing material I have read is a bigger factor than you might think. Many people go for the CAIs that have the polished metal tubes because of the appearance. The reality is that metal tubes tend to retain heat and in actuality those systems with a plastic tubing do a better job of delivering "cold" air. As cold as you can get under the hood.

Since the MAF sensor really controls how much air is sucked into the engine, I would imagine that the "tuneless" CAIs deliver whatever power that they do because of the colder air they deliver.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by OMG View Post
    All those things are were around long long before F&F. lol
    Ha ha LOL!

I know that, but it seems as though it really took off after that movie especially with the ricer/tuner crowd LOL!

WRXtranceformed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GM Tech NY View Post
    and then i see some articles on people removing what they are calling a resonator from the intake box, this has to be the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen done to a car if ANYTHING your confusing the ECM and LOSING performance. not gaining crap.
    If you are referring to a DIY post I put up in the performance section, you might want to read through the entire post to see that I mentioned that there was absolutely zero performance gain or loss. That mod wasn't meant for a performance gain. It is meant to add a little more noise when you hit the go pedal. You might have been a tech but you're definitely not an engineer. Intake silencers / snorkuses / resonators are just that. With the ram air/resonator removed, the air in an otherwise stock CTS is still being pulled in from the same square hole in the same intake box and going through the same filter and hitting the same sensors. Hence there is no performance gain or loss.

Just so I don't muck up this thread like everyone else rabbit-trailing on intakes and exhausts, on a stock CTS you are not going to notice a bit of difference running higher octane fuel. The only exception to that is if you are running a Trifecta tune as confirmed by BNR, since those tunes were optimized for 93 octane (they still run fine on 87). I personally wouldn't worry about running "top tier" gas in a non-forced injection car. If you are worried about keeping the fuel system clean, buy a $6.00 bottle of Seafoam and dump it in your gas tank every couple of months or so.

Stay away from the seafoam and use techron instead. Theres even a gm branded version available at your dealer. No more often than once every 5000 miles ... Truthfully it should only be used if needed (or there's reason to believe it might be needed).
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

In other discussions on this forum there were statements made that Techron is a waste of money in a DI engine. Would be interested to hear any comments to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB
    In other discussions on this forum there were statements made that Techron is a waste of money in a DI engine. Would be interested to hear any comments to the contrary.
    Techron will still help to keep the injectors clean, but it will have no effect on the intake valves.

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63

Techron will still help to keep the injectors clean, but it will have no effect on the intake valves.
    Exactly!

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Seafoam is the only thing that works on the intake valves but it is more preventive has to be from new and done every oil change. There was much speculation whether it would work because of the mixed results. But a member on the Cobalt SS Turbo forums (which have the same Carbon build up on the valves as we do) seafoamed his CBSS every oil change and took pics at 60k mi and it look damn good.

How is seafoam going to 'work' on the intake valves when it is directly injected into the combustion chamber?

you know it's basically just lacquer/paint thinner, right?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I think one thing that should be understood is the fact that modifications to intake and exhaust will be compensated for by the ECM. Unless you change the control module for a more aggressive set up, all you are doing is confusing the ECM as it tries to keep all of these factors with in the parameters of the factory settings. You may add additional seat of the pants feel but you may likely loose mpg's.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post

Since the MAF sensor really controls how much air is sucked into the engine, I would imagine that the "tuneless" CAIs deliver whatever power that they do because of the colder air they deliver.
    Except the Maf doesn't control or regulate the amount of air or temperature of the air entering the engine since the Intake air temperature sensor is built into the Maf it only reads the amount of air entering and the temperature of that air and then sends it to the PCM so that the PCM can make the proper adjustments to compensate for those readings.

It is not different than how the engine is able to run properly during the change of weather temperatures during the seasons and changes in elevation with help of the Map sensor.

*Edit and about the tune required version's of the Vararam kits that I mentioned previously I asked my b.f. about why the tune versions require a tune he said it is because they change the diameter of the MAF housing to a larger size to accept more air for those version's and since the factory calibration is based off of the stock diameter housing the MAF tables have to be readjusted to compensate for the larger housing and that is the only reason.
    The None tune version is the same intake kit with a stock sized Maf housing so no tune required

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Besides keeping the injectors clean Techron Concentrate Plus has an additive that will clean and supposedly put a protective film over the fuel pump sending unit wiper board that is used for your fuel tank level readings.
    For some reason that I forget the GM's are more susceptible to contamination and the reason why a lot of GM's fuel gauges read inaccurately

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.