premium gasolene - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, premium gasolene in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi All, I love seeing and reading all these interactions. These forums are a great way to share input and ...
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: premium gasolene

Hi All,

I love seeing and reading all these interactions. These forums are a great way to share input and knowledge, such as gasoline. If anyone has questions or concerns on vehicle issues, please reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

ROC OUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

Thanks, Judge! Good information to have especially when traveling and certain favorite fuels are not available.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Though I wouldnt go way out of my way to get top tier brand fuel and it isn't like you are paying more money for it since most gas stations are priced either the same or within pennies of each other depending on when they have restocked their fuel.
    I wouldnt refill tank after tank after tank with the none top tier fuel brands just do to the fact they you do not know what you are getting.

I have seen my b.f. fix to many GM vehicles due to fuel quality problems or contaminants in fuel because the wiper boards on the GM sending units appear to be more problematic than other makes due to those reason's and why a lot of GM's have erratic or incorrect readings on fuel gauges that are directly caused by the amount of contaminants in fuels without the additives.

GM Tech NY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS4

from a GM tech of 8 yrs, the son of a World Class GM Tech and a Cadillac owner. putting premium or anything above 87 octane is doing NOTHING for you performance wise. and If you feel it is, well your mind is playing tricks on you.

These motors are designed to run on 87. I'm not gonna get into a debate but same goes for adding a CAI and thinking you feel this power boost sorry junior but you don't its in your head. and then i see some articles on people removing what they are calling a resonator from the intake box, this has to be the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen done to a car if ANYTHING your confusing the ECM and LOSING performance. not gaining crap.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Ah, yes -- 21st Century versions of the proverbial chrome-plated dipstick! ;-)

As P.T. Barnum observed in the 19th Century, "There's a sucker born every minute!"

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by GM Tech NY
    from a GM tech of 8 yrs, the son of a World Class GM Tech and a Cadillac owner. putting premium or anything above 87 octane is doing NOTHING for you performance wise. and If you feel it is, well your mind is playing tricks on you.

These motors are designed to run on 87. I'm not gonna get into a debate but same goes for adding a CAI and thinking you feel this power boost sorry junior but you don't its in your head. and then i see some articles on people removing what they are calling a resonator from the intake box, this has to be the DUMBEST thing I have ever seen done to a car if ANYTHING your confusing the ECM and LOSING performance. not gaining crap.
    My understanding is that it is worthless to add a CAI without reprogramming or replacing the mass air flow sensor to take advantage of the increased airflow. The MAF is what is regulating the airflow into the throttle body based on the engine management programming. If you don't modify the programming (read: a tune), the engine is still going to take in the same amount of air through the throttle body, no matter how large the opening in the intake is.

GM Tech NY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    My understanding is that it is worthless to add a CAI without reprogramming or replacing the mass air flow sensor to take advantage of the increased airflow. The MAF is what is regulating the airflow into the throttle body based on the engine management programming. If you don't modify the programming (read: a tune), the engine is still going to take in the same amount of air through the throttle body, no matter how large the opening in the intake is.
    you are correct you can stick a huge fan into the intake its only going to take what is needed to mix correctly with the fuel, etc.

And to think GM sold a cold air kit through GMPP for my last car that required no pcm reflash to change any of the paremeters but provided a little more power that was proven on a dyno and retained the factory warranty.

The only GM cars I have seen that need to be tuned with a cold air kit is the ones that use the tune version of the Vararam kits.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK
    And to think GM sold a cold air kit through GMPP for my last car that required no pcm reflash to change any of the paremeters but provided a little more power that was proven on a dyno and retained the factory warranty.

The only GM cars I have seen that need to be tuned with a cold air kit is the ones that use the tune version of the Vararam kits.
    You might get a few horsepower that might be measurable on a dyno'ed, but I don't think there is anything that would make a seat of the pants difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    You might get a few horsepower that might be measurable on a dyno'ed, but I don't think there is anything that would make a seat of the pants difference.
    You might not feel it but it is measurable on a dyno or even better yet data logging the cars acceleration times
    Dunno about you but a 10th of a sec is a 10th of sec faster regardless if I can feel it or not it is still faster

You might not feel it but it is measurable on a dyno or even better yet data logging the cars acceleration times
    Dunno about you but a 10th of a sec is a 10th of sec faster regardless if I can feel it or not it is still faster
    I guess that's true.

He is my personal experience.

We bought a Mustang convertible a few years ago as a summer car. Our desire was for a convertible first. We found a nice clean CPO model with low miles. The only issue was that it was a loaded V6 as opposed to a GT.

As I said, our desire was for a convertible first so we bought it. I then got the bug.

I added a K&N CAI that is supposed to add 5-6 HP. That may very well have been the case, but I couldn't feel it. Like before the mod, I couldn't even break the tires loose. Added an after market freer flowing axle back exhaust too. It also may have helped (it sure sounded better), but I couldn't feel it.

The car truly transformed when I bought and applied a tune to the car. THAT truly transformed the car. Much quicker and faster off the line. It will break the tires loose and lay a nice streak of rubber. The tune itself added about 15 horsepower or so, but it made a huge difference as the programming now allowed the car to leverage the increased airflow into and out of the engine.

Yeh but as far you know they might not have even changed the maf tables they might have just added some timing, pulled some fuel to lean out the rich factory tune then corrected the transmission shift points.

My G5GT picked up 27hp and 23 ft lbs with a tune, header and down pipe on the dyno the power increase wasn't immediately felt until the shift points in the transmission programming was corrected to match the power band of the engine during the road tune and some 1/4 mile runs
    Even with the stock GM programming the transmission shift points were a couple 100 rpms to soon with the stock power band.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by GM Tech NY View Post

Nail on the head!

I have thought this for years. I truly believe that ;CAI, Cat Back Exhaust, and various other bolt on's are useless on factory tuned vehicles. All these performance parts were popularized when the first Fast & the Furious movie came out, and that's when all these companies pushed sales of CAI, and loud exhaust systems etc. In my mind all this crap is just the power of marketing & advertizing, and people still fall for it.

Yeh but as far you know they might not have even changed the maf tables they might have just added some timing, pulled some fuel to lean out the rich factory tune then corrected the transmission shift points.

My G5GT picked up 27hp and 23 ft lbs with a tune, header and down pipe on the dyno the power increase wasn't immediately felt until the shift points in the transmission programming was corrected to match the power band of the engine during the road tune and some 1/4 mile runs
    Even with the stock GM programming the transmission shift points were a couple 100 rpms to soon with the stock power band.
    The tune allows you to specify whether you're running a factory Intake or have an after market Cold air intake. I have to assume that is to remap the MAF tables.

...and yes I was able to change the sift points too.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by EVH5150 View Post
    Nail on the head!

I have thought this for years. I truly believe that ;CAI, Cat Back Exhaust, and various other bolt on's are useless on factory tuned vehicles. All these performance parts were popularized when the first Fast & the Furious movie came out, and that's when all these companies pushed sales of CAI, and loud exhaust systems etc. In my mind all this crap is just the power of marketing & advertizing, and people still fall for it.
    All those things are were around long long before F&F. lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.