ComputerWorld Article: Here's Why the Tech in your car is four years out of date
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By gohawks63
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, ComputerWorld Article: Here's Why the Tech in your car is four years out of date in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Over on the ATS and XTS forums I have seen posts about the process required to update CUE and over ...
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

ComputerWorld Article: Here's Why the Tech in your car is four years out of date

Over on the ATS and XTS forums I have seen posts about the process required to update CUE and over on other forums I have seen various comments and complaints about "Why can't.....". Or complaints on this forum that the CTS technology is dated.

Thought this article did a pretty good job explaining the differences on why automotive companies can't upgrade car technology as quickly as the next iPhone/Android product, or why we as consumers can't upgrade the technology ourselves.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...8&pageNumber=1
    Tbbt and Tbbt like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Re: ComputerWorld Article: Here's Why the Tech in your car is four years out of date

Good article. While it would be nice to have the NAV system, I can take solace in the fact that I'm using about 30gb of HDD space for my music.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Re: ComputerWorld Article: Here's Why the Tech in your car is four years out of date

It's simple really all they yave to do is adopt a standard between their lines. i think that's what Cadillac is trying to do with Cue. They also need to develope the hardware last instead of first so you don't end up with 10GB drives. And use standarized hardware so when it gets to production you can simply buy whatever's available from the shelf.

Hell I've beem curious to what kind of hard drive is in my CTS. And wondering if I could clone it to a larger drive. I hate the fact I have a 40GB drive and only 9 of it is available for me to use.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

It's simple really all they yave to do is adopt a standard between their lines. i think that's what Cadillac is trying to do with Cue. They also need to develope the hardware last instead of first so you don't end up with 10GB drives. And use standardized hardware so when it gets to production you can simply buy whatever's available from the shelf.
    It would take several pages to explain the process in detail I imagine, but the short of it is. Design creates a concept that takes it to prototyping who creates something that 'kind of works'. This alone takes a significant amount of time in order to develop, which by this point is already well into modeling what the general end-product is going to be. After another year or so of development, debugging and changes, something resembling a final product emerges at which point, it starts to go through validation testing. As mentioned, automotive electronics need to have enormous (comparatively speaking) lifespans, so you can't just decide half-way through development that the components you originally used and validated are out-dated now and focus on the next generation hardware that hasn't matured yet or been designed to accommodate your product. If you did such, you'd be stuck in a never-ending cycle the way electronics move of constantly re-adapting to the latest technology (moore's law states that processor power/transistor count must double every 18 months) or you'd end up with a highly unstable product, which is incredibly important since infotainment systems are the number one factor in reducing a car's 'reliability and customer satisfaction' ratting. Technology companies have entire warehouses dedicated to fabrication, proto-typing and development of their devices. Automobile manufactures typically have a very small percentage of their on comparatively ant-sized budgets to distribute to these systems.

The reality is, until automobile manufactures have resources equivalent to their own steve-jobs empire(whos net worth is 13 times more than GM's ), you will never have the latest technology available in your car. It's an impossibility.

Even among the electronics world validation and stability testing increase the time it takes to get a product out. Panasonic and their toughbooks are a perfect example of this application in the electronics world. They have to go through rigious testing for military-grade specifications of validation before they can produce an end-user product, so by the time it's all said and done, the brand-new product they started out with is already slightly dated. Either because they have to use mature, stable components to be reliable in any situation (similar to a car) or because the validation process is simply several months to a year long to get through.

thilehoffer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This is why I have a CTS with no Nav or hard drive. I purchased a great phone mount for my LG Google Nexus 4. The mount looks like it was made by GM, it matches the interior perfectly. I use the Belkin Bluetooth adapter hidden in the center storage box and keep the radio on aux. My phone is always updating with the latest Google maps and android software. I steam Pandora on my way to work and if I get lost, the GPS is always up to date. My smart phone is a better GPS / Media Player than any in dash car system. I have never had an in dash GPS because all of them just plain suck.

Quote Originally Posted by thilehoffer
    This is why I have a CTS with no Nav or hard drive. I purchased a great phone mount for my LG Google Nexus 4. The mount looks like it was made by GM, it matches the interior perfectly. I use the Belkin Bluetooth adapter hidden in the center storage box and keep the radio on aux. My phone is always updating with the latest Google maps and android software. I steam Pandora on my way to work and if I get lost, the GPS is always up to date. My smart phone is a better GPS / Media Player than any in dash car system. I have never had an in dash GPS because all of them just plain suck.
    I disagree. I have a 2006 Mustang convertible that is a summer car. It doesn't have a factory NAV so I bought a Garmin Nuvi. It works well enough, but it is no where as fast, both in searches and route calculation as the factory NAVs in my last few cars. When I had my CTS in for service I had a loaner SRX that didn't have NAV so I relied on my iPhone that has Google maps. It too worked well enough, but I miss the integration with the rest of the car.

I prefer the integrated functionality of the in-dash units, but that's just me.

thilehoffer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I disagree. I have a 2006 Mustang convertible that is a summer car. It doesn't have a factory NAV so I bought a Garmin Nuvi. It works well enough, but it is no where as fast, both in searches and route calculation as the factory NAVs in my last few cars. When I had my CTS in for service I had a loaner SRX that didn't have NAV so I relied on my iPhone that has Google maps. It too worked well enough, but I miss the integration with the rest of the car.

I prefer the integrated functionality of the in-dash units, but that's just me.
    I guess it depends on the phone. Can I ask what Phone you have? The Google phones syncs your recent searches and maps so you don't have to enter the address when you enter the vehicle. I would LOVE it if the car dash was running android and instantly synced with my phone, but it just there isn't there yet. Also, I can just press the button and speak "Gas near me" or whatever. In dash GPS systems aren't even close when it comes to speech recognition. Just like the article says, they are a few years behind.

Quote Originally Posted by thilehoffer

I guess it depends on the phone. Can I ask what Phone you have? The Google phones syncs your recent searches and maps so you don't have to enter the address when you enter the vehicle. I would LOVE it if the car dash was running android and instantly synced with my phone, but it just there isn't there yet. Also, I can just press the button and speak "Gas near me" or whatever. In dash GPS systems aren't even close when it comes to speech recognition. Just like the article says, they are a few years behind.
    Voice recognition has come a long way. In my old Acura I could set destinations strictly by voice commands, can do,the same with the CTS. The command vocabulary was pretty extensive. The Cadillac vocabulary is not as extensive, but it is functional. I can say, "nearest restaurant" or " nearest gas station" and it works very well. You just have to know the commands. CUE is supposed to be even more comprehensive and you can use natural commands.

BTW, I have an iPhone 5.

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by thilehoffer View Post
    This is why I have a CTS with no Nav or hard drive. I purchased a great phone mount for my LG Google Nexus 4. The mount looks like it was made by GM, it matches the interior perfectly.
    Can I ask which mount you purchased? Make, model?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.