Let's talk SEATS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Let's talk SEATS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; This isn't another re-hash of whether the seats in the CTS are comfortable or not (I find them fine). On ...
    BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Let's talk SEATS

This isn't another re-hash of whether the seats in the CTS are comfortable or not (I find them fine).

On my '08 sedan, I was getting major leather-on-plastic "squeaking" and "creaking" from my driver and passenger seats. The sounds were getting progressively worse, to the point where any small bump in the road would result in some sound from the seat. It was beginning to affect my sanity, and definitely didn't sound like a premium car should. Using leather conditioner along the bottom of the seat would help for a few days, but then the noise would be back with a vengeance.

I solved the problem this past weekend with a $1.50 sheet of adhesive black felt from Michael's. I applied felt between the leather and plastic seat base along the bottom of the seat (temporarily for now; will actually apply the adhesive this weekend). The result is NO leather-on-plastic sounds from the seats. It's transformed the car completely and made for a much quieter ride fitting of a Cadillac. There are still occasional creaks from the plastic seat base, but the sounds are 1000% better. For the record, I can't believe how cheap and hollow the plastic used for the base of the seats is. Shame on GM for using such materials in a luxury car.

Thought I'd share in case anyone else is aggravated by seat noises. Also, a question: Does anyone know if GM revised the seats in later model years to address this issue? Not the Recaro seats, but the standard seats.
    C "T" ess, C "T" ess, RAB and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Let's talk SEATS

BreakingThrough, what a great idea & fix you've come up with! I have a 2011 CTS, and the recurring squeaking/creaking sounds from the driver and passenger seats is always a source of aggravation for me. Like you I've tried applying leather conditioner along the bottom of the seat, but that would help for only a few days or weeks.
    To your question about whether GM revised the seats in later model-years to address the issue, based on the same situation in my '11 m-y car as your '08 I would say the answer is "no".
    Thank you very much for sharing. When I get home from my trip I'll be heading off to Michael's to buy some adhesive black felt!

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Yep my 2011 has the same problem the passenger seat is squeaky as hell even with some one sitting it in it.
    It is not acceptable when I go in for my oil change they better be fixing it a long with my noisy headliner I dont care what they have to do or how long they have it, It better be gone.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Too OCD for me!
    kevmcw and kevmcw like this.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Too OCD for me!
    Hey Judge, you're just not a detail guy!
    Yeah, okay, guilty as charged (excuse the pun, Judge). With some things I suppose I do have OCD. Squeaks and rattles definitely qualify!
    GrayGhost likes this.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

There is a fix it thingy out on them for installation of anti squeak tape and felt washers

Paul_Rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sedan - White Diamond, Luxury I&II

Wink Re: Let's talk SEATS

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Hey Judge, you're just not a detail guy!
    Yeah, okay, guilty as charged (hey, excuse the pun Judge). With some things I suppose I do have OCD. Squeaks and rattles definitely qualify!
    Never really noticed anything before. Just went out and checked out what the OP described ... sure nuff, there is a squeak when manipulated. Strangely though, absolutely no sounds/squeaks are heard when driving. Fortunately!
    While I don't normally have OCD, I too cannot stand "unauthorized" sounds within the cabin.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

I can see how it's a bit OCD (I'm OCD in general), but I have to say the difference adding the felt lining has made to overall interior noise is quite remarkable. Before, I felt like my car was starting to sound like a rikshaw with all the squeaks and creaks. It was probably amplified by the fact that the car is so quiet in general. Now it's virtually silent, and I feel like I'm gliding about town in true Cadillac Style.

For $1.50 and about 15 minutes cutting the felt into appropriately sized strips, this has been one of the cheaper outlets for my OCD tendencies.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Now that the problem with the seats is solved, who wants to post instructions to removing the center console to deal with the creaks and squeeks of it?

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

From someone is is a bit OCD ... a fix for the squeaks and creaks of the console has already been posted ... works brilliantly!

Quote Originally Posted by exm22psu View Post
    From someone is is a bit OCD ... a fix for the squeaks and creaks of the console has already been posted ... works brilliantly!
    Can you give me the best search terms to use...when I looked, I couldn't find a definitive fix for it

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    Can you give me the best search terms to use...when I looked, I couldn't find a definitive fix for it
    HurstGN, here are a couple of links to forum threads on the topic. I find searching via google generally provides better results.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...oof-creak.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...reak-once.html

HurstGN, here are a couple of links to forum threads on the topic. I find searching via google generally provides better results.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...oof-creak.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...reak-once.html
    Thanks!!

In my searching I never found these links. This should be easy now that I know where to find the screws and such to take it apart, and where folks have found the parts rubbing together.

RAB

I'm re-visiting this old (2013) thread to provide an update with a new recommendation. Further to BreakingThrough's great idea (see post #1) about applying pieces of adhesive black felt along the bottom edge of the front seats to prevent leather-on-plastic squeaking and creaking... I've discovered - at the dollar store no less - similar pre-cut adhesive black material that comes in the perfect width (3/4") and length (30") to apply "as-is" (no cutting necessary) at each front seat cushion bottom edge (side and front) where leather meets the plastic frame. The material is a self-adhesive velcro strip. The label on the two packages I bought (at $1 each) said "Hook & Loop Fasteners - Self-Adhesive". The smooth velcro half (don't use the rough half!) of the 30" long 2-part velcro strip is applied to the seat cushion bottom edge. Could not be better! The job (takes about 5 minutes per seat) is best done with two people: one person pulling the cushion away from the plastic frame, while the other person (the one with smaller fingers!) is applying the soft velcro strip to the leather - with 1/2 to 2/3rds of the strip's width applied to the leather that sits below the top of the plastic frame (that's the tricky bit). The backing on the self-adhesive strip is pulled away in small stages, one step at a time, as you progress around the side and front edge of the cushion bottom. This method prevents the strip from getting stuck on itself as you're working to apply it.
    You gotta do this job if leather-on-plastic squeaking sounds (especially when getting in and out of the car) are bothering you. Which they were for me.. but aren't now.
    Cheers
    RAB
    techtype likes this.

techtype is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Luxury Sedan

I'm re-visiting this old (2013) thread to provide an update with a new recommendation. Further to BreakingThrough's great idea (see post #1) about applying pieces of adhesive black felt along the bottom edge of the front seats to prevent leather-on-plastic squeaking and creaking... I've discovered - at the dollar store no less - similar pre-cut adhesive black material that comes in the perfect width (3/4") and length (30") to apply "as-is" (no cutting necessary) at each front seat cushion bottom edge (side and front) where leather meets the plastic frame. The material is a self-adhesive velcro strip. The label on the two packages I bought (at $1 each) said "Hook & Loop Fasteners - Self-Adhesive". The smooth velcro half (don't use the rough half!) of the 30" long 2-part velcro strip is applied to the seat cushion bottom edge. Could not be better! The job (takes about 5 minutes per seat) is best done with two people: one person pulling the cushion away from the plastic frame, while the other person (the one with smaller fingers!) is applying the soft velcro strip to the leather - with 1/2 to 2/3rds of the strip's width applied to the leather that sits below the top of the plastic frame (that's the tricky bit). The backing on the self-adhesive strip is pulled away in small stages, one step at a time, as you progress around the side and front edge of the cushion bottom. This method prevents the strip from getting stuck on itself as you're working to apply it.
    You gotta do this job if leather-on-plastic squeaking sounds (especially when getting in and out of the car) are bothering you. Which they were for me.. but aren't now.
    Cheers
    RAB
    Thanks, I ordered beige so I will pay a little more. But, you included all the critical info as usual!
    RAB likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.