2012 cts sedan pereformance model w/sport suspension
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2012 cts sedan pereformance model w/sport suspension in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I recently bought a used 2012 CTS sedan/performance. I'm very inmpressed with the overall quality. My only disappointmant is the ...
    RP37 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS performance

2012 cts sedan pereformance model w/sport suspension

I recently bought a used 2012 CTS sedan/performance. I'm very inmpressed with the overall quality. My only disappointmant is the ride. I find it hard to believe this is what Cadillac calls a sport suspension. I have owned Porsches for 40 years and a BMW coupe so my comparison may not be fair. I didn't expect the CTS to handle like those cars but didn't expect it to roll the way it does or to have a wallowy ride (depending on road surface). I notice there are Eibach springs available, has anyone had experience with them and are there sway bars available. I couldn't find any. Thanks for your input. RP

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Re: 2012 cts sedan pereformance model w/sport suspension

Which BMW Coupe did you have? Also do you have the Performance package with AWD or RWD, do you know what suspension you got? FE2 or FE3? Larger Sway Bars available along with the CTS-V sways, you can get it from D3 performance. Coilovers will help too, but again, which suspension are you starting with?

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by RP37 View Post
    I recently bought a used 2012 CTS sedan/performance. I'm very inmpressed with the overall quality. My only disappointmant is the ride. I find it hard to believe this is what Cadillac calls a sport suspension. I have owned Porsches for 40 years and a BMW coupe so my comparison may not be fair. I didn't expect the CTS to handle like those cars but didn't expect it to roll the way it does or to have a wallowy ride (depending on road surface). I notice there are Eibach springs available, has anyone had experience with them and are there sway bars available. I couldn't find any. Thanks for your input. RP
    You need the FE3 suspension. My CTS Coupe came with FE3 & 19 inch rims there is no body roll, handling is precise and firm. The FE3 suspension is extremely tight and in fact might be too stiff for some peoples tastes.

I had a 2001 330CI. My CTS is a RWD, but I'm not sure which suspension it came with, I'll check with my local dealer. I'll also touch base with D3. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. RP

----------

Based upon your experience with the FE3 suspension, I'm guessing my car has the FE2. I was under the misconception that if the car came standard with the sport suspension it had what you're describing as the FE3. Thanks for your help...appreciate it....RP

On another note what size tires came on the 19" wheels?

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

You can have the performance package without the FE3. A 330CI is not a very fair comparison, because it is almost 500lbs lighter. But go test drive a CTS with the FE3 and the gap will close. The FE3 setup also comes with a tighter steering ratio along with a 3.73 limited slip diff. This really gets the car scooting along very nicely.

If you want to completly relive your 330CI check out the ATS if you don't have kids. It weights the same as the 330CI and has that super-tight/light go-kart like handling.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RP37
    I had a 2001 330CI. My CTS is a RWD, but I'm not sure which suspension it came with, I'll check with my local dealer. I'll also touch base with D3. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. RP

----------

Based upon your experience with the FE3 suspension, I'm guessing my car has the FE2. I was under the misconception that if the car came standard with the sport suspension it had what you're describing as the FE3. Thanks for your help...appreciate it....RP

Cadillac calls one sport and one performance. Can't remember which is which.

The FE1 is the base

Overclock This is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD

The FE2 suspension sways more than I'd like it to.
    I wonder if the CTS-V sway bars are a direct replacement and bigger?
    It is stiff enough when going over bumps IMO

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock This
    The FE2 suspension sways more than I'd like it to.
    I wonder if the CTS-V sway bars are a direct replacement and bigger?
    It is stiff enough when going over bumps IMO
    The CTS-V is a completely different animal since it has Magnetic Ride Control.

I went to my local Caddy dealer this morning, they printed out the build sheet for my car...as I suspected it has the FE2. No one at the sevice desk knew if changing to the FE3 is any easy swap. But I doubt it because as you point out the FE3 package comes with a different steering ration and limited slip. Didn't have time to talk with a mechanic, although I'm not optimistic.

----------

The FE2 is called sport suspension.

----------

I'm going to check with my Caddy dealer to see if anyone knows. I'm not optimistic

I went to my local Caddy dealer this morning, they printed out the build sheet for my car...as I suspected it has the FE2. No one at the sevice desk knew if changing to the FE3 is any easy swap. But I doubt it because as you point out the FE3 package comes with a different steering ration and limited slip. Didn't have time to talk with a mechanic, although I'm not optimistic.

----------

The FE2 is called sport suspension.

----------

I'm going to check with my Caddy dealer to see if anyone knows. I'm not optimistic
    Try to find out exactly what's different besides the steering ratio and the rear struts.
    I'm still stuck on sway bars from an OEM application

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

----------

You're welcome man.

The tire size is; 245/45/19

----------

Quote Originally Posted by OMG View Post
    You can have the performance package without the FE3. A 330CI is not a very fair comparison, because it is almost 500lbs lighter. But go test drive a CTS with the FE3 and the gap will close. The FE3 setup also comes with a tighter steering ratio along with a 3.73 limited slip diff. This really gets the car scooting along very nicely.

If you want to completly relive your 330CI check out the ATS if you don't have kids. It weights the same as the 330CI and has that super-tight/light go-kart like handling.
    You hit the nail right on the head! The 3.73 ratio and extremely close gearing 1st through 6th (Manual Trans) Keeps the engine on the boil effortlessly. The Power seems strong no matter what RPM you're at.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

From what I have gathered, the FE3 has self leveling shocks/struts. It is not electronic (like the V is), the shocks do the self leveling "automatically". Coilovers are about $2000. I have a line on someone who can furnish them and that is the price I was quoted. Hennessy told me they could not furnish me anything for my standard CTS (vs. a V).

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    From what I have gathered, the FE3 has self leveling shocks/struts. It is not electronic (like the V is), the shocks do the self leveling "automatically". Coilovers are about $2000. I have a line on someone who can furnish them and that is the price I was quoted. Hennessy told me they could not furnish me anything for my standard CTS (vs. a V).
    I did a quick look on Rockauto for the FE3 Shocks and it looks like they'll be around $600 and change which is cheaper than the coilovers assuming it's a bolt on and that you can re-use the stock springs.
    Does the FE2 sit lower than the FE1 and the FE3 sit lower than the FE2?
    When I look at base CTS, it looks like the FE1's sit a slight bit higher than my FE2 but I can't find any clear indication of this.

I am not sure on this, so take it FWIW. I don't believe the FE3 shocks are more firm, I only believe they are self leveling. If you want a more firm and better handling suspension, then the coilovers are the only route.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.