2012 cts sedan pereformance model w/sport suspension - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2012 cts sedan pereformance model w/sport suspension in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just got off the phone with a mechanic at my local cadillac dealer. He had no idea if the ...
    RP37 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS performance

Re: 2012 cts sedan pereformance model w/sport suspension

I just got off the phone with a mechanic at my local cadillac dealer. He had no idea if the FE3 was an easy swap for the FE2. rather then get into coil overs I think for me to get the ride I want an easy fix is to change out the springs and sway bars. Talked to the people at D3, they have a set up..$429 for the springs and $695 for the bars (bigger bar up front but same size in rear, different material makes rears a bit stiffer). However, after checking Tirerack, Eibachs can be had for $253(lowers car about .8") and I'd probably opt for the bigger front bar only. Considering I have no intention of tracking this car I think this wouild be a good set up for the street.

Thanks to all for your input.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I would agree with you.

If you are mechanically inclined there is a great writeup on installing springs. The struts and swaybar should be easy.

----------

I would agree with you.

If you are mechanically inclined there is a great writeup on installing springs. The struts and swaybar should be easy.

I'm too old to be doing this myself, I'll have to find a good local shop that does suspension work. Also, I called another dealer here in the Atlanta area and their mechanic said you cannot do a change over from an FE2 to an FE3. Although neither dealer I spoke to sounded too certain. Basically they said the question has never arisen before.

Keep asking questions at different shops. You will find one.

In your copious amounts of spare time, see if you can find some heavy duty/track-type shocks/struts somewhere online. You don't have to worry about frost heaves and potholes where you live.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

I have looked at the pictures at Rockauto of the FE3 and the FE2 and although they have different markings they look like they mount exactly the same. I will be takong the risk next spring and ordering them for my AWD. Worst case is I have to pay to ship them back.

If you want larger sway bars. You can get the AWD sway bars which are larger then even the FE3 2WD setup. And a lot cheaper then the D3. I believe althoigh you can't use a V's shoclks because of magnaride you can use the sways.

thanks for the tip on the bars, I'll check out the specs

Karlvein song is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 blue cts coupe awd

mmmm.. just wondering my 2012 cts coupe awd premium with what suspension? fe2 or fe3? please anybody know? and does anybody know where i can get a better sway bar? becuz my coupe is not sturdy enough. body roll pretty bad... even my othe 2010 infiniti fx 35 crossover, handle way better and slick than my cts coupe. any suggestion? greatly appreciate.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlvein song View Post
    mmmm.. just wondering my 2012 cts coupe awd premium with what suspension? fe2 or fe3? please anybody know? and does anybody know where i can get a better sway bar? becuz my coupe is not sturdy enough. body roll pretty bad... even my othe 2010 infiniti fx 35 crossover, handle way better and slick than my cts coupe. any suggestion? greatly appreciate.
    Look under you're spare tire cover

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    Look under you're spare tire cover
    That's where I found my info (thx to the good people here on the forum). My 2014 Coupe w/perf pkg has the FE2 suspension. I love it because here in PA the roads sucks! sometimes I ride over bumps and I can feel the whole rear go airborne and for a split second and lose traction with the road (=lost of speed and momentum). Or when theres bumps and potholes in the curves. I have to let off the gas for those.

Those potholes beat the tar out of your suspension and alignment components.

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Those potholes beat the tar out of your suspension and alignment components.
    AMEN! brotha' !!!

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

The biggest mystery in life..... What exactly is the difference (by part number and sway bar size) between all of the different suspensions.....BTW, there are no aftermarket shocks or struts, other than coil overs.... There are aftermarket springs and sway bars.. (KW, Eibach, H&R and others) So when someone at GM or on this forum figures out the F suspensions differences and part numbers, please let us know.

To the best of myknowledge (which means don't flame me) I believe the only difference between fe2 & fe3 is the (Nivmat?) shocks on the fe3.

Panzer Leader is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS 3.6 V6 RWD Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    From what I have gathered, the FE3 has self leveling shocks/struts. It is not electronic (like the V is), the shocks do the self leveling "automatically". Coilovers are about $2000. I have a line on someone who can furnish them and that is the price I was quoted. Hennessy told me they could not furnish me anything for my standard CTS (vs. a V).
    They told me the same thing.....

One of my previous cars was a 300M that many of us on the forum tried to add performance items to modify them. Just like the CTS, there were so very few performance items that it is depressing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.