What are the rear rotor dimensions on a 2008 AWD?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, What are the rear rotor dimensions on a 2008 AWD? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Years ago, I upgraded my 2009 AWD to the J55 front brakes that were standard in the 2008s AWDs. I ...
    exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

What are the rear rotor dimensions on a 2008 AWD?

Years ago, I upgraded my 2009 AWD to the J55 front brakes that were standard in the 2008s AWDs. I thought the rotors and pads where the same in the rear for both but now I'm not so sure. Is that the case or is there a larger diameter rear rotor in the J55 brakes for the 2008 AWD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

like2drive is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Re: What are the rear rotor dimensions on a 2008 AWD?

I looked up in some old specification sheets and found that in 2009, the J55 brakes were standard with the FE3 suspension system. The rotor dimensions were:
    Front: 13.6 x 1.3
    Rear: 13.4 x 1.0

Rotor dimensions with the standard brakes (JE5) are:
    Front: 12.4 x 1.3
    Rear: 12.4 x 1.0

Therefore, I can presume that for the 2008s AWDs that were equipped with the J55 brakes, the rear rotors had a larger diameter. However, some folks in here will be able to confirm that...

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

I just went through this. The rotors are indeed a larger diamater, I have the J55.

However they both the J55 and JE5 use the same size pads IN THE REAR.

I got the Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors with Power Stop Evolution Ceramic pads. Wonderful combo. I'm not not having to wipe my wheels every 3 days.

OMG, how is it that the rotor on the rear is a larger diameter for the J55 but the pads are shared between JE5 and J55? It seems you would get the same contact area and therefore the same stopping power. Did you notice something different I am missing? Thanks all for the help.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by exm22psu View Post
    OMG, how is it that the rotor on the rear is a larger diameter for the J55 but the pads are shared between JE5 and J55? It seems you would get the same contact area and therefore the same stopping power. Did you notice something different I am missing? Thanks all for the help.
    Yes it appears that the pads are the same size the rotors are are bigger but the width of the contact path is the same. The front's however are HUGE. Like large pizza huge. THey're even bigger then the ones on my old C5! And they contact patch width is so big that it makes the roto hats looks awkardly small.

Thanks OMG. Yes, the fronts are huge. I already installed the J55 fronts. If the contact patch is the same, I'll likely stick with the same rear rotors and pads. It makes no sense to have a bigger rotor with same contact area, unless I am missing something!

like2drive is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by exm22psu View Post
    Thanks OMG. Yes, the fronts are huge. I already installed the J55 fronts. If the contact patch is the same, I'll likely stick with the same rear rotors and pads. It makes no sense to have a bigger rotor with same contact area, unless I am missing something!
    Unless with bigger rotors you get better cooling...which I think might be the case

I could see the better cooling and the calipers are iron not aluminum I believe. But those are very minor differences to go through the work of an upgrade.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.