2012 CTS-V won't start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 4 Post By C "T" ess
  • 2 Post By Tbbt
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS-V won't start in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I've posted this in the CTS-V forum as well, hoping to get a little more feedback or help! I just ...
    EmarieV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Exclamation 2012 CTS-V won't start

I've posted this in the CTS-V forum as well, hoping to get a little more feedback or help!

I just purchased a 2012 CTS-V coupe. Over a dozen times I go to start the car and nothing. Battery powers
    up, but wont turn over, sometimes I will get a click. It takes anywhere from 5-30 min before it starts up again. I have had it back to the dealership 3xs, the first time, I was told they couldn't find anything wrong. The second time 3 days later I brought it back and they said the ECM had to be greased. The very day I picked it up, she died again. This time the dealership replaced the ECM. I just picked it up last night and she did it again. This is what I notice,
    It always happens when I run into a store really quick, maybe 10-15 min the car is off.
    When I run the car for a good thirty minutes or longer.
    Ive placed the key fob in the rear center console, swiped it under the steering wheel and have done all the other dances with it.
    Please help, I've had the car 3 weeks and it has been in the shop for 10 of these days!
    When I bring my car back to the dealership tomorrow this will be her fourth visit
    It is an automatic and I have video of the problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: 2012 CTS-V won't start

These intermittent problems are the worst. They never happen at the dealership. Having video and audio should help some. I never heard of greasing an ECM, its an electronic computer with no moving parts. It sounds like someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. My very first step is to take it to a different dealership!
    tinman, tinman, D VADER and 1 others like this.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    These intermittent problems are the worst. They never happen at the dealership. Having video and audio should help some. I never heard of greasing an ECM, its an electronic computer with no moving parts. It sounds like someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. My very first step is to take it to a different dealership!
    I would also have it towed to the dealer when it doesn't start. I know that's inconvenient, but at least they will see what's happening in real time. It sounds like a loose connection at the starter to me.

Marv
    tinman and tinman like this.

EmarieV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Thank you, this has got to be the most frustrating thing ever!

Guyver280z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe 6 Speed

I'd file for Lemon's Law....

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Or perhaps the cables on the battery itself are corroded. They need to be cleaned to a shiny silver and have some dielectric grease on them.

Black'10CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '08 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '00 STS

This sounds like it would justify a call to Cadillac Customer Service. There could be a number of things that would cause this (Starter connection, battery connection, stuck relay, neutral safety switch, over-heated starter sol.) whatever the cause, if its THAT common, then they should be able to replicate it in the shop. And I'm not sure what "greasing the ECM" means either

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.