Aspherical "wide angle mirrors" ??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 6 Post By smooth_ride
  • 2 Post By like2drive
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Aspherical "wide angle mirrors" ?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I recently purchased my 2011 Coupe and trying to adjust to the blind spots... I just started this profile tonight ...
    TimWoodward180 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Question Aspherical "wide angle mirrors" ??

I recently purchased my 2011 Coupe and trying to adjust to the blind spots... I just started this profile tonight to possibly get an answer as to where I could buy this type of side mirror ? I have found only a handful of site that have them and they are only available for one specific vehicle ( none for a cadillac I can find ). Has anyone found a site of reference I could get to ordering some? Thanks for your time

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smooth_ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS AWD

Re: Aspherical "wide angle mirrors" ??

There's a certain method that you can do to eliminate the blind spot and not purchase a different mirror.

Essentially move your head and body as far to left as possible towards your driver window and adjust outside mirror outward so you can just barely see the body. Now, move your head and body about to the middle of the car and adjust passenger mirror outward so you can just barely see the body on that side. Now sit in center of seat and adjust center mirror so it's dead center. Now when you sit in center, you should be able to see cars in your blind spot. It takes some getting used to, but works for me.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by smooth_ride View Post
    There's a certain method that you can do to eliminate the blind spot and not purchase a different mirror.

Essentially move your head and body as far to left as possible towards your driver window and adjust outside mirror outward so you can just barely see the body. Now, move your head and body about to the middle of the car and adjust passenger mirror outward so you can just barely see the body on that side. Now sit in center of seat and adjust center mirror so it's dead center. Now when you sit in center, you should be able to see cars in your blind spot. It takes some getting used to, but works for me.

That's exactly the way I adjust my sideview mirrors. It works great for me. However, you have to get use to it but that's how they told me to adjust my mirrors when I took a performance driving class some while ago.

Look out this link:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Rear%E2%8...te-Blind-Spots
    HurstGN and HurstGN like this.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Ironically, I'm driving a loaner car ATS right now, and going from the coupe to the sedan, I'm having a Harder time with the blind spots. There's two pillars to deal with, and I miss my blind spot sensor too. (I know the 2011 doesn't have it, but once you get used to it, you miss it when it's not there).

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

This thread should be a sticky. I've had my mirrors wrong too. I read the above link, and found a real nice YouTube video showing exactly how improperly adjusted mirrors can cause the blindspots we all complain about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2tDI4ThwdXg Watch the video and note the white SUV on the drivers side of the car. Then take note at at 2:32 in the video, his poorly adjusted mirror completely hides this SUV! Amazing!!

Yesterday I adjusted my mirrors before heading home from work. WOW!! My blindspots are gone! Why didn't somebody show us how to do this when we were learning how to drive. I've been doing this wrong for 35 years.

Thanks for posting this. My driving has just become much more pleasant and I don't worry about that huge c-pillar on my car anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    This thread should be a sticky. I've had my mirrors wrong too. I read the above link, and found a real nice YouTube video showing exactly how improperly adjusted mirrors can cause the blindspots we all complain about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2tDI4ThwdXg Watch the video and note the white SUV on the drivers side of the car. Then take note at at 2:32 in the video, his poorly adjusted mirror completely hides this SUV! Amazing!!

Yesterday I adjusted my mirrors before heading home from work. WOW!! My blindspots are gone! Why didn't somebody show us how to do this when we were learning how to drive. I've been doing this wrong for 35 years.

Thanks for posting this. My driving has just become much more pleasant and I don't worry about that huge c-pillar on my car anymore.
    Yea I know, they should teach us that when we learn how to drive. I started adjusting my sideview mirrors like that with my previous car and since I bought my CTS in 2009, I have always kept them like that. It is true that at first you need to get use to, but you realize fast that your blindspots are gone and it's much more pleasant to drive.

Therefore, when I hear somebody saying that "that particular car" has huge blindspots, I immediately tell myself that he/she most likely does not adjust his/her mirrors the right way!!

Another useful link:
    http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default...alkMirrors.pdf

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

I was taught this in drivers training back in 1984, however a little bit different. The way I do it is adjust my rear view mirror to get a full showing of rear window then adjust each mirror so that when an object is in sight in the rear view mirror, as it goes out of "frame" from the rear, it comes into frame on the side mirror. Essentially you are making all three mirrors see a panoramic view.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal33n View Post
    I was taught this in drivers training back in 1984, however a little bit different. The way I do it is adjust my rear view mirror to get a full showing of rear window then adjust each mirror so that when an object is in sight in the rear view mirror, as it goes out of "frame" from the rear, it comes into frame on the side mirror. Essentially you are making all three mirrors see a panoramic view.
    That's exactly what I was taught in performance driving courses... but not in regular driving lessons. They should teach new drivers how to properly see around themselves while driving!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.