New owner of (used) CTS - coolant / antifreeze leak and other questions inside
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Tbbt
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, New owner of (used) CTS - coolant / antifreeze leak and other questions inside in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey everyone- After years and years of being a die hard Ford loyalist (mostly Mustangs but everything else too.. my ...
    mike_g is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

New owner of (used) CTS - coolant / antifreeze leak and other questions inside

Hey everyone-

After years and years of being a die hard Ford loyalist (mostly Mustangs but everything else too.. my most recent a 2011 GT), I bought a 2008 CTS a couple of weeks ago. It's a CTS4 with Performance package and the non-DI V6. I also got the GM extended warranty with it, it was bought from a Cadillac dealer. There are a few things that seem odd to me on this car that I was hoping to get some answers for.

But most importantly, first-

After I got home from work tonight, my wife was going to a friends house and when she backed the car out of the garage there was a large mess of pink coolant on the floor that extended into the driveway where she stopped the car. She immediately came in to get me. I looked around with a couple of flashlights and could not see an active leak anywhere or blatent signs of fluid spillage. After finding where the coolant reservoir was, it didn't appear to be wet anywhere around it, and it had a small amount of coolant down inside it. It did look low on the side of the bottle. I cleaned up the mess and laid paper towels under the car and could not get any additional leakage to happen. I pulled out the car again and back into the garage and it stayed dry.

Does anyone know if these cars discharge fluid when hot or anything? Any ideas? I do have the extended warranty so anything serious should be covered.

A couple of general questions for owners as well.

Do you keep all those plastic covers on the engines? It seems like a lot of heat would be trapped under there. Do they serve a functional role or just to keep people from touching the engine on their own?

The oil pressure guage fluctuates on this car like nothing I've ever seen. It seems to rise with RPM and level off when levelling off speed. Characteristic of the car or issue to worry about?

I'm reading several threads about these engines actually burning through oil? Like an old Harley Davidson? I haven't had a car that actually consumed oil between changes since my old 66 Mustang. That seems very odd to me in a modern engine.

I chose this car over the BMW 5 series' and Audis I was also considering, mostly because I hoped the Cadillac would be lower maintenance. Hoping I made the right choice. Thanks in advance for the responses!

-mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: New owner of (used) CTS - coolant / antifreeze leak and other questions inside

Quote Originally Posted by mike_g View Post
    Hey everyone-

After years and years of being a die hard Ford loyalist (mostly Mustangs but everything else too.. my most recent a 2011 GT), I bought a 2008 CTS a couple of weeks ago. It's a CTS4 with Performance package and the non-DI V6. I also got the GM extended warranty with it, it was bought from a Cadillac dealer. There are a few things that seem odd to me on this car that I was hoping to get some answers for.

But most importantly, first-

After I got home from work tonight, my wife was going to a friends house and when she backed the car out of the garage there was a large mess of pink coolant on the floor that extended into the driveway where she stopped the car. She immediately came in to get me. I looked around with a couple of flashlights and could not see an active leak anywhere or blatent signs of fluid spillage. After finding where the coolant reservoir was, it didn't appear to be wet anywhere around it, and it had a small amount of coolant down inside it. It did look low on the side of the bottle. I cleaned up the mess and laid paper towels under the car and could not get any additional leakage to happen. I pulled out the car again and back into the garage and it stayed dry.

Does anyone know if these cars discharge fluid when hot or anything? Any ideas? I do have the extended warranty so anything serious should be covered.

A couple of general questions for owners as well.

Do you keep all those plastic covers on the engines? It seems like a lot of heat would be trapped under there. Do they serve a functional role or just to keep people from touching the engine on their own?

The oil pressure guage fluctuates on this car like nothing I've ever seen. It seems to rise with RPM and level off when levelling off speed. Characteristic of the car or issue to worry about?

I'm reading several threads about these engines actually burning through oil? Like an old Harley Davidson? I haven't had a car that actually consumed oil between changes since my old 66 Mustang. That seems very odd to me in a modern engine.

I chose this car over the BMW 5 series' and Audis I was also considering, mostly because I hoped the Cadillac would be lower maintenance. Hoping I made the right choice. Thanks in advance for the responses!

-mike
    Hello Mike,

Welcome to the world of Cadillac! We hope you are enjoying your CTS, minus the concerns you posted about. I apologize you are experiencing these issues. My recommendation is taking your vehicle to get diagnosed at your local Cadillac dealership. The Service department is a credited team who will be able to properly diagnose and fix issues and concerns of your vehicle as well as answering any other questions you have. If you need assistance locating a nearby Cadillac dealership, please let me know by providing your zip code. If you would like me to set up an appointment at the dealership, let me know that as well, but I will need more contact information which you can private message me with on this forum. We are here to be of assistance for you and to ensure your satisfaction with your vehicle. Have a great night.

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: New owner of (used) CTS - coolant / antifreeze leak and other questions inside

The fluid being pink would lead me to think it is trans fluid. Coolant is usually green and a very slight taste will be sweet, trans fluid would not be. I would check under the car at the lower trans cover. It may just be time to replace the seal and filter. I hope you find it.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess
    The fluid being pink would lead me to think it is trans fluid. Coolant is usually green and a very slight taste will be sweet, trans fluid would not be. I would check under the car at the lower trans cover. It may just be time to replace the seal and filter. I hope you find it.
    The transmission fluid is more red. The coolant is pink.

mike_g is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Thanks for he responses. Yes it was pink coolant (I do know my liquids well). Took it to the closest Cadillac dealership this morning and looks like it has a few issues that the Cadillac dealer who sold it to me (different one) should have addressed before selling. Note to self - not all Cadillac dealerships treat their inventory the same. Hopefully they can all get things squared away.

Odd thing is, it still didn't leak any more after that. I put paper towels down in the garage and they didn't have anything on the this morning.

thanks!

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Mike_g,

Sounds like they probably overfilled it and it expanded out of the overflow when reaching normal temp. Hope the selling dealer takes proper care of you CTS,

Marv
    tinman and tinman like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.