Headlight issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Headlight issue in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi all. New to the forums after just purchasing a 2009 CTS with direct injection a week ago. On the ...
    LastTripToTulsa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD 3.6 DI

Headlight issue

Hi all. New to the forums after just purchasing a 2009 CTS with direct injection a week ago. On the way to work a couple days ago I noticed my left turn signal blinking twice as fast as normal and then after I arrived, my buddy told me I had a healight out. Figured I would check it out after work, but everything was working normal when I got home and stayed working fine for the next three days. Now this morning on my way to work the same issue was occuring. Any ideas what could be causing this? It seemed that the two days it wasn't working correctly were the two coldest days of the week. Could this maybe be a ballist issue? Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Black'10CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '08 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '00 STS

Re: Headlight issue

Usually, that means you have a taillight out, not headlight. If its not doing it all the time, kinda sounds like a bad connection somewhere.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Does your car have HID headlights? If so, the daytime running light turns off when the blinker is on, so that may be why your friend thought the bulb was out. (It comes back on when you turn off the blinker.)

Sounds like the filament in the bulb might have broken and then bounced back into place, so it's likely that you'll need to replace the turn signal bulb. I believe the side blinker light being out would also cause the "fast flashing" to warn you that a bulb has burned out. It's unlikely that it's a rear turn signal since those are LEDs.

If you go to change the turn signals, do some research on here because it's a pain to do. (Technically, you'll supposed to pull the whole front bumper cover off the car, but others have found ways to squeeze their arm in through the fender well covers.) While you're dealing with the bulb replacement, you might consider switching over to LED bulbs so you don't have to mess with it again.

Good luck!

It was a little darker when I went in today and I could definitely tell that the headlight was out. Turn signal lights all seemed to be working fine.

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

I have an 09 as well. There was a headlight connection recall some time ago. When it was fixed they were supposed to replace low beam headlight bulbs as well. You might ask the Dealer if that was done.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by LastTripToTulsa View Post
    Hi all. New to the forums after just purchasing a 2009 CTS with direct injection a week ago. On the way to work a couple days ago I noticed my left turn signal blinking twice as fast as normal and then after I arrived, my buddy told me I had a healight out. Figured I would check it out after work, but everything was working normal when I got home and stayed working fine for the next three days. Now this morning on my way to work the same issue was occuring. Any ideas what could be causing this? It seemed that the two days it wasn't working correctly were the two coldest days of the week. Could this maybe be a ballist issue? Any help is appreciated.
    Hello LastTripToTulsa,

Welcome to the forum! I hope you are enjoying your CTS so far. I saw on a later post to this thread you said you could tell your headlight was out and your turn signals seem to be working fine again? I just want to check on the status of your vehicle now and see if it is fixed or if you are still experiencing concerns. Please let me know so I can be of further assistance. Thank you, have a great night!

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Yes I am still having issues. It seems to work 80%+ of the time, but occasionally the one headlight does not turn on, mostly in the mornings it seems. I am not electrically inclined enough to diagnose a short in the wires or anything and really can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars at the dealer to try and have them diagnose it, so it looks like it might just be something I'll have to live with.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Last Trip,

You need to send a private email to Laura M. at Cad Cust. Service, giving her your VIN so she can see if your car qualifies for the active recall on headlight problems!

Marv

So I hate to rehash an old thread, but I've started having this problem again. While the driver side headlight was not working intermittently before, it is not working at all now. I have the HID's so my car is not part of the recall. Anybody have any guesses as to whether this is just the case of needing a new bulb or if it's something more? I don't really feel like or have the money to take it to the dealer for them to spend a couple hundred bucks in labor to tell me I need a new bulb, but I also don't want to purchase a new bulb and go through the trouble of replacing to still have it not work.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    So put bulb from good headlight into the non working one. If it works, buy a new bulb. If it does not buy new headlight.

Jschmank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Silver CTS AWD

I had an HID bulb go out on my 08. Before burning out completely it had a violet shade that was very noticeable. It wasn't intermittent though it was clear when it was going bad. I have experienced more headlight problems with this car than any other vehicle I have ever owned, and anything that needs to be done to the headlights are expensive. Recently my DLR light went out and I decided I would try to fix it myself. It was actually very easy, took about 30 minutes to pull the front bumper and get to the headlight housing. The bulbs arent that expensive, its the labor they charge to get to it that is the problem.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by LastTripToTulsa View Post
    So I hate to rehash an old thread, but I've started having this problem again. While the driver side headlight was not working intermittently before, it is not working at all now. I have the HID's so my car is not part of the recall. Anybody have any guesses as to whether this is just the case of needing a new bulb or if it's something more? I don't really feel like or have the money to take it to the dealer for them to spend a couple hundred bucks in labor to tell me I need a new bulb, but I also don't want to purchase a new bulb and go through the trouble of replacing to still have it not work.
    Hello LastTripToTulsa,

Sorry for any trouble you are experiencing with your headlight issue. I see other community members have offered advice on the situation. Please keep me updated with this issue and if you would like to further discuss any concerns, reach out to me via private message.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Having the car checked out tomorrow. Dealer quoted $300-$400 for a bulb itself without labor and $500+ for a ballist without labor. What a crock.

Jschmank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Silver CTS AWD

I had the high beam shutter go out on one of my 08 HID headlamps. No repair available and had to replace the whole headlight. My dealership, which has been good to me provided the part at a discount and helped with the labor but it still cost me $1000. This has been the biggest expense I have had with the car, but never expected to spend that to get a high beam that you use 3 -4 times a year.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jschmank
    I had the high beam shutter go out on one of my 08 HID headlamps. No repair available and had to replace the whole headlight. My dealership, which has been good to me provided the part at a discount and helped with the labor but it still cost me $1000. This has been the biggest expense I have had with the car, but never expected to spend that to get a high beam that you use 3 -4 times a year.
    I wish you had posted about your problem earlier. You can find cts headlights on eBay for 250-350. It takes 30 min to replace a headlight. Could have saved yourself 600+

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.