Awd really necessary?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Awd really necessary? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Well , since i always had fwd, and now going to buy cts or ats, i guess awd is necessary ...
    japs52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Awd really necessary?

Well , since i always had fwd, and now going to buy cts or ats, i guess awd is necessary given i live in upstate ny. Can u get away with rwd and snows instead of the added weight and cost of awd? Thx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pdabs is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    All depends on the driver. You'll get 100 different opinions it all comes down to you.
    Can you get away with it? All comes down to the individual driver. If you're asking then just go sure awd.

Black'10CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '08 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '00 STS

Re: Awd really necessary?

I drove my Camaro SS 100 miles a day as my daily driver for years in Michigan winters without any real issues. Almost got stuck a few times, always got out. My winter tires were Michelin Symmetry's and I had 2 sets of Chevy small block heads in the rear for weight.

That being said, I chose AWD because while it is possible to go RWD, its not pleasant. I was just tired of white-knuckling it everywhere I went. I'm not breaking any speed records with AWD either but it does make it through easier.

Bottom line, a RWD can make it through most of the things AWD can, its just a little more hectic.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

REading on this forum, it seems that AWD gets much poorer mpg.

D VADER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    REading on this forum, it seems that AWD gets much poorer mpg.
    Living in Jacksonville FL I would pass on AWD. I live in Ohio and opted for the AWD.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I lived in Ohio and with full knowledge I would pass on AWD.

6.2/3.6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Depends on your travels and what you really want to do with your vehicle. If you want to track or spin tires, rwd all the way. If you want handling in all types of weather with no worries, whether you are driving or someone else is then awd. I opted for awd even though I live in GA, I travel alot and so I went for the piece of mind of awd. Yes the car is about 400lbs more, you have more items that will eventually wear out as for fuel mileage I have not seen one post that has anything accurate (one person is 19, another is 27mpg so you can take the mpg with a grain of salt) you will get what you will get in this car but when you drive the CTS, I can guarantee it will be a comfortable ride.
    D VADER and D VADER like this.

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

If you drive on snowy roads then get AWD. I live on snowy dirt roads during the winter and AWD is the way to go. My GF's FWD Focus even has issues on our roads during the winter. She notices the night and day difference between her car and my CTS. I don't care how great of a driver you are in the snow, the physics of pushing a car through snow with RWD are always working against you, although I do sometimes miss the Mustang I had in my youth in the winters going nuts in vacant parking lots

Dmcastino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI - FE3 and 6MT

Indiana is no upstate NY when it comes to winters, but we definitely saw some good storms this year and I certainly tested out my CTS's winter weather capabilities. I was caught in the middle of one storm in particular that just laid down a sheet of ice on the roads at about 6pm and I still had 40 miles of driving ahead of me. I was blown away by how well the car handled the conditions. I really thought I was going to miss my jeep a lot more than I did. In fact, traffic was stopped so bad on the highway that for the last 20 miles I ducked off the main road and took twisty snow covered rural roads in, even had to do do not one but two little water crossings and it handled everything like a champ. All in all I was very impressed by how well all the stabilitrak/traction control systems worked and I'm sure the limited slip diff and my choice of Continental extreme contact DWS tires helped as well.

Bottom line: In my opinion, if you pay attention to what you are doing and know how to drive in the snow, the rwd with some good tires is more than adequate for most climates, however the awd would know doubt be a nice luxury, but at the expense of weight, gas, steering feel, etc.

... The choice is yours

shmiddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 DI CTS

I live in Ottawa Canada and have rear wheel drive. I put winter tires on and find driving easy. And the car has really good antislip and stabilitek to keep you on the road and going straight.
    If youre not a confident driver then it would obvioulsly be safer to get AWD.
    I have way more fun driving with RWD

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

I drove around the first two years my driving career in a C5 vette, then two more years in a Mustang. It was fun, it was scary, but it does matters knowing your limits and the limits of the car and it's tires. Tires are really the biggest part of the equation in all of this.

I was on limited time and budget when I was shopping for a CTS. Really wanted the RWD with FE3 and all the options. Couldn't find it, but made a comprimise and got the AWD. Really can't wait to try it out in the snow next season. It handles pretty good, you can feel the porkiness, but even in torrential downpour that we have been having the past two weeks, I can't faze it. The TC light never blinks more then twice and the slip that did occur is imperceptable. If the light never lit up I would never have know. This is the best driving AWD vehicle I have ever driven.

I've only had it it for almost 4 weeks and put 1800 miles on her already. My mileage is 17 around northern Chicago suburbs and 25-26hwy. you can hit 27 if you do 60. These numbers are hand calulated with the same pump on mobil 1 gas and a bottle of chevron at 400miles.

Will be doing a pretty thorough seafoaming in june before the oil change.

If you get the RWD you might be in for a suprise and really enjoy

dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

I am driving the 2011 CTS sport RWD now but my last vehicle was an Audi A6 quatro, that car was outstanding in the snow so I was a bit worried about what I would get with the RWD only. but to be honest it drove extremely well this winter. you definitely need to pay more attention in the snow but I really did not have any issues. I do have the all season 19's on the car so they are not the summer high traction tires you can get on the sport model, I think that helps a bunch. you could also get winter tires if you want to take it one step further. I drove a couple all wheel drive versions and at the end of the day I liked the way the RWD version drives way better. All wheel is ok but is definitely heavier and you can feel it. the steering is a bit different as well. I tended to go through tire faster on the all wheel quatro fairly quickly to. I don't know if that is a characteristic of all wheel drive cars but I thought it worth mentioning. at the end of the day you should compare both side by side and go with your gut.

sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    AWD for the win! Amazing handling. And you can always turn it off and drive a RWD vehicle by double pressing the traction control button.

Cons are that it cost more and weighs more

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21
    AWD for the win! Amazing handling. And you can always turn it off and drive a RWD vehicle by double pressing the traction control button.

I'm not so sure that is the case

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post

sandcracker21, that's interesting what you mention. Per the owner's manual, double pressing quickly the TCS/StabiliTrak button puts the system into "STABILITRAK COMPETITIVE MODE". You're saying that when you go into STABILITRAK COMPETITIVE MODE with a CTS4, all-wheel drive turns off and the drive mode becomes RWD only. I've never read about this before, anywhere. Are you certain this occurs? Where did you learn about it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.