Awd really necessary? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Awd really necessary? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; That's what my dealer told me. I've never actually driven with that mode on before tho.. I believe the dealer ...
    sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    That's what my dealer told me. I've never actually driven with that mode on before tho..

I believe the dealer told me that the AWD is 50/50 and "competitive" mode is 80% rw 20 fw

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21
    That's what my dealer told me. I've never actually driven with that mode on before tho..

I believe the dealer told me that the AWD is 50/50 and "competitive" mode is 80% rw 20 fw
    The AWD IS 25/75 front rear in everyday driving. Completion mode turns off traction control and stabilitrak and firms up the steering.

birolziggi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts hi feat,2011 srx lux,2011 cts performance
    japs52 .i live in rochester new york.heavy snow as u might know.i have a rwd cts and a awd cts.its really challenging with the rwd .im using blizzaks on it.but my awd is handling superb even with the stock michelins.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Re: Awd really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post

As gohawk said it's actually 25/75 under normal usage. The only way to disable RWD is to pull the AWD fuse, which was confirmed in another thread. What was never confirmed was whether this was safely reversible.

Mrmiker56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi I had a 2005 3.6L lux sport RWD and now own a 2011 3.6 Premium AWD. I have All Season tires on both. If you live in an area with a lot of snow I suggest if you get a RWD then I suggest you get snow tires. I had difficulty in the snow as the RWD car tends to fishtail going up the slightest incline. In most instances the car was great but I got stuck a few times away from home and therefore opt'd for the AWD when I replaced the car last year. Plus I didn't want the hassle of storing 4 snow tires. I can say the AWD drive definately adds a 2 MPG mileage penalty. Also the AWD is not as quick. I used to average 18 mpg in my daily commute and I now average around 16 mpg. The AWD car has a much heavier feel but I find I actually prefer its ride. It is very secure and serene - an amazing car with a beautiful ride. From this board I learned to use the Sport mode when passing and merging to compensate for its weight disadvantage. Bottom line it depends what you are looking for in a car. If you have a place to store the snow tires and don't mind changing the tires out, I would go with the RWD but either way you will be happy as they are both great cars.
    RAB, RAB, D VADER and 1 others like this.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by OMG View Post
    As gohawk said it's actually 25/75 under normal usage. The only way to disable RWD is to pull the AWD, which was confirmed in another thread. What was never confirmed was whether this was safely reversible.
    The only way I know to purposely and safely disable AWD on a CTS4 and run RWD only is to pull the "All-Wheel Drive" fuse at the underhood fuse block. I recently pulled the fuse on my '11 CTS4 and drove the car that way for about 60 miles, on the highway. No problems whatsoever. In disabled AWD mode /enabled 100% RWD mode I evidently gained roughly 1.5 to 2 MPG (per the DIC) as regards highway fuel economy, driving at 70 mph.
    As info.. with the AWD fuse pulled a message appears on the DIC each time the engine is started advising the AWD system needs to be serviced. The message is dismissed with a button push. Re-installing the fuse (with the engine/ignition off, of course) restores AWD to its normal state/functionality.

As Mrmiker56 mentioned in his post above - the AWD car does have a heavier feel, but I too prefer its ride and feel compared to the RWD car (which I owned for over 2 years - a fully optioned 3.6L DI '09 CTS). When I took delivery of my '11 CTS4 Premium Sedan I was amazed at how good the ride is, particularly given the fact the car came with the optional 19" wheels/tires (FE5 19" all-season tire package) versus the 18" wheels/tires installed on my previous '09 CTS.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    The only way I know to purposely (and safely) disable AWD on a CTS4 and run RWD only is to pull the "All-Wheel Drive" fuse at the underhood fuse block. I recently pulled the fuse on my '11 CTS4 and drove the car that way for about 60 miles, on the highway. No problems whatsoever. In disabled AWD mode /enabled 100% RWD mode I gained roughly 1.5 to 2 MPG as regards highway fuel economy (driving at 70 mph).
    As info.. with the AWD fuse pulled a message appears on the DIC each time the engine is started advising the AWD system needs to be serviced. The message is dismissed with a button push. Re-installing the fuse (with the engine/ignition off, of course) restores AWD to its normal state/functionality.

As Mrmiker56 mentioned in his post above - the AWD car does have a heavier feel, but I too prefer its ride and feel compared to the RWD car (which I owned for over 2 years - a fully optioned 3.6L DI '09 CTS). When I took delivery of my '11 CTS4 Premium Sedan I was amazed at how good the ride is, particularly given the fact the car came with 19" tires (FE5 package).
    that is awesome to know/hear! You're the first to confirm that it is compeltly reversable. i will be doing this sunday!

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by OMG View Post
    that is awesome to know/hear! You're the first to confirm that it is compeltly reversable. i will be doing this sunday!

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Colorado. AWD is the only way to buy a car. We have a Golf and its fine for commuting 90% of time. However for skiing on powder days or taking trips 6 months of the year you can't count on it. Already have torn the engine shield off the caddy in deep snow. Golf was stuck dead. Even my Dodge 1500 4wd was worthless a few of our snow days. You need a decent 4 wd or an AWD car here if you care to get from point a to b on time.
    D VADER and D VADER like this.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    I have AWD, in TX (insert jokes here), I opted for it for handling. On a trip over Christmas, it got nasty in Little Rock on my way to Memphis; you should have seen all the cars, trucks (even 4-wheel drive) and big rigs stuck or run off the road. Kate zipped right passed all if them! I figure it's because of the superior AWD technology and much lower center if gravity. I was very impressed, far exceeded my expectations.

RandyG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by RAB

The only way I know to purposely and safely disable AWD on a CTS4 and run RWD only is to pull the "All-Wheel Drive" fuse at the underhood fuse block. I recently pulled the fuse on my '11 CTS4 and drove the car that way for about 60 miles, on the highway. No problems whatsoever. In disabled AWD mode /enabled 100% RWD mode I evidently gained roughly 1.5 to 2 MPG (per the DIC) as regards highway fuel economy, driving at 70 mph.

As Mrmiker56 mentioned in his post above - the AWD car does have a heavier feel, but I too prefer its ride and feel compared to the RWD car (which I owned for over 2 years - a fully optioned 3.6L DI '09 CTS). When I took delivery of my '11 CTS4 Premium Sedan I was amazed at how good the ride is, particularly given the fact the car came with the optional 19" wheels/tires (FE5 19" all-season tire package) versus the 18" wheels/tires installed on my previous '09 CTS.
    I always wondered if there was a safe way to disable the AWD system. I would not mind disabling it during the summer months. Do you think it would have no detrimental effects?

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
    I always wondered if there was a safe way to disable the AWD system. I would not mind disabling it during the summer months. Do you think it would have no detrimental effects?
    RandyG, I was assured it would have no detrimental effects. A GM powertrain engineer involved with the development and qualification of the AWD system for the 2nd gen CTS (he posted several times in this Cadillac forum a few years back) advised me via email recently that pulling the fuse safely disables AWD, and the vehicle can be run that way indefinitely with no detrimental effect. On some competitor AWD vehicles there is a switch in the cabin to disable AWD (to convert to 2WD), and that switch essentially has the same result as what pulling the "All-Wheel Drive" fuse does in a gen 2 CTS4. Asked why GM didn't provide such a switch in the 2nd gen CTS4, the response was that Cadillac, for mostly marketing reasons, preferred to offer a "full-time" all-wheel drive system on the 2008+ CTS, where the customer would never have to deal with a switch and would be afforded "AWD peace of mind" all year round.

RandyG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by RAB

RandyG, I was assured it would have no detrimental effects. A GM powertrain engineer involved with the development and qualification of the AWD system for the 2nd gen CTS (he posted several times in this Cadillac forum a few years back) advised me via email recently that pulling the fuse safely disables AWD, and the vehicle can be run that way indefinitely with no detrimental effect. On some competitor AWD vehicles there is a switch in the cabin to disable AWD (to convert to 2WD), and that switch essentially has the same result as what pulling the "All-Wheel Drive" fuse does in a gen 2 CTS4. Asked why GM didn't provide such a switch in the 2nd gen CTS4, the response was that Cadillac, for mostly marketing reasons, preferred to offer a "full-time" all-wheel drive system on the new CTS, where the customer would never have to deal with a switch and would be afforded "AWD peace of mind" all year round.
    Thanks RAB. I will give it a shot and see how I like it. Best regards.

mightypizu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon 3.6 AWD, Crystal Red
    Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    RandyG, I was assured it would have no detrimental effects. A GM powertrain engineer involved with the development and qualification of the AWD system for the 2nd gen CTS (he posted several times in this Cadillac forum a few years back) advised me via email recently that pulling the fuse safely disables AWD, and the vehicle can be run that way indefinitely with no detrimental effect. On some competitor AWD vehicles there is a switch in the cabin to disable AWD (to convert to 2WD), and that switch essentially has the same result as what pulling the "All-Wheel Drive" fuse does in a gen 2 CTS4. Asked why GM didn't provide such a switch in the 2nd gen CTS4, the response was that Cadillac, for mostly marketing reasons, preferred to offer a "full-time" all-wheel drive system on the 2008+ CTS, where the customer would never have to deal with a switch and would be afforded "AWD peace of mind" all year round.
    Excellent! Always wondered why there wasn't an on/off switch/button much like suvs/trucks with 4wd; especially, nowadays with so much mpg concerns.

RJParks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

Just spent the last four winters driving a Pontiac G8GT, shipped with summer only tires and ended up running two sets. Factory from April to November and then Blizzacks in the winter with sand bags in the trunk. Got around well but even with the Blizzacks not a reasuring drive in any snow over 4". Just traded for a CTS4 with the 3.6 DI. Main reason for the trade was the AWD. Gaev up almost 75hp but all the extra pluses were just the topping on the cake.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.