service stabilitrack
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, service stabilitrack in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Yesterday, after backing out of the garage, I put the car in drive and I felt a bad clunk as ...
    BILLY101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Unhappy service stabilitrack

Yesterday, after backing out of the garage, I put the car in drive and I felt a bad clunk as it engaged drive. I put the car in Neutral and then again into drive and the same thing happened.
    The check engine light came on as well as the "service stabilitrak" message on DIC and the traction control light.
    The car had no power and would not up-shift.
    I do not believe the anti-lock brakes were engaging.
    The roads were dry. But the car stayed in the Traction control mode. I pressed the TC button with no effect. After about 10 minutes I shut the car off. I restarted the car, the check engine light stayed on but other warnings were off.
    Then I drove the car for about another 10 minutes but it didn't run right. The transmission slipped when kickdown was used.
    The car seemed to resist steering when trying to park.
    I will be taking the car to the Dealer tomorrow. Is there something I can do/say that can help them find my problem?
    It's not likely that this will happen when they have the car.
    The car has 44k miles, all wheel drive.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: service stabilitrack

Just got the car back from the Dealer.
    Of course they were not able to duplicate any of the abnormalities that I described. But they did ran all the related diagnostics that pertain the the "service stabilitrack" DIC message.
    Code scan picked up P1825 (internal mode switch invalid range) not sure exactly what that means but it's something to do with transmission shifting control. A bullitin related to this code was issued by GM and followed by the mechanic. Codes cleared and non returned after road test.
    Car is about 2 weeks out of the powertrain warranty but I was told that I should be covered if I later have a transmission issue.
    The car seems to drive normally now.

Bill

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY101 View Post
    Just got the car back from the Dealer.
    Of course they were not able to duplicate any of the abnormalities that I described. But they did ran all the related diagnostics that pertain the the "service stabilitrack" DIC message.
    Code scan picked up P1825 (internal mode switch invalid range) not sure exactly what that means but it's something to do with transmission shifting control. A bullitin related to this code was issued by GM and followed by the mechanic. Codes cleared and non returned after road test.
    Car is about 2 weeks out of the powertrain warranty but I was told that I should be covered if I later have a transmission issue.
    The car seems to drive normally now.

Bill
    Hello Bill,

I am glad to hear your vehicle seems to drive normally now. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know. We are here to be of assistance! Have a great night.

Sincerely,
    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

The primary question remains. Why did the system stay in traction control mode for the 10 minute period? This is unsafe because the car will have no power. When I say no power I mean the car will barely move for stopped then very slowly accelerate. I don't know when this will occur.
    My understanding of the traction control system is it will cut engine power when one of the wheels is rotating faster than the others. Then when the wheels are no longer slipping the engine power is restored and the car will accelerate as normal. This should only last a seconds.

Bill

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

ooops!

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

The "traction control" light also functions for stability control. If either TCS or stabilitrak has been activated due to wheel slip, the light will blink while activated, and then shut off once the system stops assisting the vehicle. If the light is solid, much like a "Check Engine" light, it means something might be wrong with the vehicle.

From page 3-38 of the 2008 manual, "The Traction Control System/StabiliTrak® warning light should come on briefly when the engine is started. If the warning light does not come on then, have it fixed so it will be ready to warn you if there is a problem. If it stays on, or comes on when you are driving, there may be a problem with your Traction Control System (TCS)/StabiliTrak® and your vehicle may need service. When this warning light is on, the system will not limit wheel spin. Adjust your driving accordingly."

----
    Whatever caused the service lights put your car in "limp mode"...which limits vehicle functionality to protect from further possible damage. The associated "Check Engine" light tells you something is wrong with the vehicle.

If this happens again, as soon as safe you should shut the car off and restart it. If it's a "glitch", normal vehicle power will restore. If it does happen again, I would push harder on the dealer to look into this issue further.

Computers are great until they are not. -ooops!
    The Dealer says everything is fine. --- Until the next time it happens.

Bill

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Bill,

Make sure the Dealer has fully documented your complaint that it isn't working fight yet.

Marv

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.