Some consistency and proper guidlines for Cadillac Free Maintenance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Some consistency and proper guidlines for Cadillac Free Maintenance in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Will be taking my 12 Coupe in for its second service this week. Mileage is 8423 and OLM is 34%. ...
    jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Some consistency and proper guidlines for Cadillac Free Maintenance

Will be taking my 12 Coupe in for its second service this week. Mileage is 8423 and OLM is 34%. I had the first service done early at around 3500 miles prior to taking my regular 730 mile trip from NJ to SC on I-95. I prefer to do the initial oil change a little early regardless of cost and after breakin, and in this case before the tedious journey down I95 in the late fall last year. Car was purchased in May 12 in NJ.
    For this second time around with the 'free scheduled maintenance', if I want full synthetic and use Mobil1 5W-30(which I always use), I have to purchase it. If the OLM had been around 20% I would have gotten AC Delco synthetic blend and not what I want. And for that matter, for any oil change special outside of warrantly using synthetic oil would get you the blended AC Delco. It took a little over 5K miles to hit 34% on the OLM and coupled with over 7500 miles on the car, I am eligible for the tire rotation(side to side on the coupe), and the dealer said they take care of the TPM reset. You need a tool on the coupes; owner cant do it alone like with sedan.
    Of course if you take your car to another dealer, their parameters for free maintenance will likely be different. So the owner doesnt really know what is free and whats not unless you confirm. To me, 34% is low enough to qualify for the free oil change, but who wants the blended synthetic, even if dexos1 branded?
    Bottom line, I dont see a real advantage with the free maintenance if they wont use full synthetic and require very low OLM percentages. In the end it winds up being just like it was before the free maintenance - if you want Mobil1 and have it changed at a reasonable low percentage - you still pay for your oil. As for the MPI I think we all know this is just topping off fluids. I wish GM would follow the detailed list that covers all the components checked with the MPI to give owners a reasonable sense of comfort that everything that needed checking was checked. Im done ranting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: Some consistency and proper guidlines for Cadillac Free Maintenance

You've exercised your option: choice. It is pretty much standard that you can get your oil changed at 20% or less oil life (or one year). There are other items covered under 'free' maintenance, i.e. air filter, rotation, etc. As far as the Dexos 1, unless you need extreme-extreme protection, full syn will provide you with not very much extra protection. JMO

I always think back to the 2008 CTS brochure that showed the Mobil1 5W-30 logo on the oil filler cap and words to followup stating how Mobil1 and CTS engine engineered together..... That was of course before GM dropped Mobil1 initially when dexos1 came out. So to me the choice is simple as to what oil to use for peace of mind.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Cadillac Free Maintanence is a marketing ploy that forces the Cadillac owner to go back to the dealership for oil changes. They hang out in the showrooms and look at the new cars while the service dept looks for something they can upsell to the customer. They have a vested interest in having you come back again and again and again. Think about it, how many want you to keep driving your car? You are the only one; the dealers want to sell you a new car. All you are to the dealer in money in the bank.
    MoFex and MoFex like this.

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    I have had 4 "FREE" oil changes on my coupe now. Just had one done two weeks ago. I have not had my oil % go below 70%. I have gone by the mileage on my car or month and they usually call me in too boot. Not only has the dealer been taking care of my by not demanding the % be lower but they also allow me to upgrade to full synthetic. I am running MOBIL 1 full synthetic and just pay the difference between the two changes. For me here in Ontario it worked out to $55. I am more then pleased with how they are handling that and letting the customer pay the difference for what isn't the recommended standard.

Hope your dealer will do the same.

So one of my points is that you are NOT getting FREE maintenance. In order to use Mobil1 you have to pay and you shouldnt. How many miles are passing between your oil changes? For OLM to only be at 70%, it doesnt sound like you had many miles. Also sounds like dealers are smarter in Canada.

Anywhere between 5500-6000KM so about 3500miles.

Your right it's not free but if I was happy with the recommended AC Delco semi-synthetic it would not cost me a thing but I do want full synthetic and my choices where Quaker state and Mobil 1. $35 or $55. Makes sense to me so I'm happy.

jimmie jam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS LUXE

Quote Originally Posted by Jagillac View Post
    I am running MOBIL 1 full synthetic and just pay the difference between the two changes. For me here in Ontario it worked out to $55. I am more then pleased with how they are handling that and letting the customer pay the difference for what isn't the recommended standard.
    At nearly $10/quart you are not just paying the "difference". M1 can be had for less than $7/qt (retail). You are paying "full boat" for the M1, not the "difference". so much for "free" oil changes.........

CTSCHICK is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I am going in for my free maintenance or Oil change in a couple weeks it doesn't bother me that they don't use mobile 1 never used it never will and never had an engine problem because of it.

My b.f. used to be a GM Tech he says the oil they use is fine for me and the rest of the stuff like visiually inspecting my car and ect relies on him anyways so I don't care what they do as long as they don't wash my car or damage it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie jam

At nearly $10/quart you are not just paying the "difference". M1 can be had for less than $7/qt (retail). You are paying "full boat" for the M1, not the "difference". so much for "free" oil changes.........
    I agree I'm paying the price for the oil full pop. But when you go to a even a garage not just the dealer they won't charge me for just the oil. They will pay for there over head and other cost plus a profit. Like any business would.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I think it may be a matter of preference. The brand of oil you use is your decision. The free service is clearly detailed in the owners manual, but like any other recommended service you can chose what you want and what you don't want. I have sort of an advantage since I drive a lease. I will not have the car past warranty so if it's good enough for Cadillac it's fine with me.

Wayne's World is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I'd be interested in knowing what the official GM policy is on this. My dealer said they can't do it before 10%. They said they had done some at 20% but GM balked. I don't really care what the put in it, as long as it meets specs, but I would like to do it around 30%. I've always done my own work using only what was required and I have never had an
    engine problem. I'll probably go back to doing it myself & use Pennzoil after the free ones run out if I'm not too old by then.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Maybe I just haven't had my car long enough at 20K miles but what else besides the oil changes should I expect in the future? Air filters? Spark plugs?

CTSCHICK is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
    Maybe I just haven't had my car long enough at 20K miles but what else besides the oil changes should I expect in the future? Air filters? Spark plugs?
    CADILLAC PREMIUM CARE MAINTENANCE COVERS ROUTINE MAINTENANCE SERVICES, (WHEN SCHEDULED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE OWNER’S MANUAL), INCLUDING:

Oil Changes: Based on your Cadillac’s Oil Life Monitor system
    Tire Rotation every 7,500 miles
    Engine air cleaner filter replacement
    Passenger compartment air filter replacement
    Multi Point Vehicle Inspections (MPVI)

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne's World
    I'd be interested in knowing what the official GM policy is on this. My dealer said they can't do it before 10%. They said they had done some at 20% but GM bulked. I don't really care what the put in it, as long as it meets specs, but I would like to do it around 30%. I've always done my own work using only what was required and I have never had an
    engine problem. I'll probably go back to doing it myself & use Pennzoil after the free ones run out if I'm not too old by then.
    I have had two oil changes and both times I went in when I was around 15%. Never got any pushback.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.