Advice needed!! 3.0 vs 3.6, 2008 vs 2010 and so on....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Advice needed!! 3.0 vs 3.6, 2008 vs 2010 and so on.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi everyone, I am new on this forum and would like to get some help in choosing my nex car! ...
    Mtlcts4lover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 performance pack

Question Advice needed!! 3.0 vs 3.6, 2008 vs 2010 and so on....

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum and would like to get some help in choosing my nex car! I know I want a CTS4 black on black with less than 100 000kms on it. Nav would be great and panoramic roof is mandatory. My budget is 25k.

I had the chance to drive a 2009 base model with 3.0l for 3 months 2 years ago and fell in love! now that its time to change my big suv, CTS is the only option!

What do you guys suggest between the 2 engines, what are the positives and drawbacks of eachs? I live near Montreal and do about 1000km per week (work in real estate) with lots of highway and when in city, stop and go for 3 hours a day...

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

Re: Advice needed!! 3.0 vs 3.6, 2008 vs 2010 and so on....

I just purchased a 2010 CTS 3.0 Luxury AWD for $26,393 at a Cadillac dealer. It had 23,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Mine is black raven with the black ebony interior and I have the panoramic sunroof. I am commuting 2 hours a day on the highway and sometimes it is stop and go. I'm getting ~ 23 - 24mpg which isn't bad considering the AWD and the fact that the car weighs ~ 3,800 lbs. That's my experience, hope that helps, good luck!

20130319_122939.jpg

That's my experience, hope that helps, good luck!
    Thanks, now I just have to find out if the 3.6 much more fun to drive and cost about the same to maintain in the long run...

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

The initial acceleration bonus of the 3.6 is nice and I enjoy it more than the 3.0 I previously had. But, truth be told, if you are cruising most of the time you won't notice the difference. 40 mph is 40 mph and 80 mph is 80 mph. Once you get there there is no benefit of one engine over the other. I live in a mixed suburban/urban area rampant with stop lights. The acceleration at the turn of the light to green is a great feeling but because of it I average 18 mpg around town.
    You'll get plenty of opinions but I recommend you try both and decide what you'll accept and what you will be willing to give up. mpg v mph.

TheShadow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual

A few things you might want to consider:
    - 2008 didn't have bluetooth support until May/2008 builds (supported by the OnStar module) - check the build date (sticker on drivers door side) and confirm bluetooth is there

- for 2008 if I remember correctly, the mileage specs for the 3.0 and 3.6 were close enough to not be a big deal, as C T ess says though, your behavior at starts will dictate gas consumption more, I know it does for me :-)

- some styling differences ie 2008 GM antenna vs. shark fin in later models

- some people complain about noise from the sun roof - be sure to test drive at highway speeds

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Uh, guys.. a 3.0L engine wasn't available on the 2008 and 2009 CTS. The engine choices were 3.6L SFI (263 HP / 253 lb.-ft. of torque) or 3.6L SIDI (304 HP / 273 lb.-ft. of torque). The 3.0L DI engine was introduced on the 2010 CTS and has slightly higher HP but a weaker torque number (223 ft.-lb.) compared to the 3.6L SFI.

dm16raiders is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI

I recently purchased a 2008 CTS4 3.6 DI with the Luxury package a set of 22" wheels(I think they make the car) + stock set with 77,000 miles for 21,000. The miles were a little high but the car was in great condition, spotless inside and out. Although I have not driven the 3.0 or 3.6 SFI, I can tell you that I love the 3.6DI. I switched from a 1999 Silverado so the MPG's were much better even with a slightly aggressive driving style. The pull you feel taking off from a stop with sport mode on and T/C off after releasing the brake is great. It feels like a sports car but has all the luxury of a Cadillac! I am about to purchase the GM performance exhaust and that will be the icing on the cake. Overall great car! Cheers!BGPLUDPCIAANIiV.jpeg

Thanks for the info guys!! SInce I have the heavy foot syndrom and like to see civics in my mirror and not windshield, I will try to find a 3.6...!!!

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Uh, guys.. a 3.0L engine wasn't available on the 2008 and 2009 CTS. The engine choices were 3.6L SFI (263 HP / 253 lb.-ft. of torque) or 3.6L SIDI (304 HP / 273 lb.-ft. of torque). The 3.0L DI engine was introduced on the 2010 CTS and has slightly higher HP but a weaker torque number (223 ft.-lb.) compared to the 3.6L SFI.
    This is the part where you link your very thorough and welcomed comparison of year-over-year changes to the 2nd gen CTS http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...iy-thread.html
    RAB and RAB like this.

TheShadow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Doh! of course you are right! Typo between thinking of saying 3.6 and 3.6SIDI and typing too fast - I did say if I remember correctly :-)

jax405 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS, 2012 CTS Wagon Both AWD

Same here purchased a 2010 AWD Luxury, 3.0, moon roof, drive 120 miles a day interstate, 23.9 mpg here in the West Virginia hilly Country. Plenty of power for a car this size, purchase price was $22,900. 3.6 would be nice, but like they say power is good, but once cruising, not a lot of benefit for the bigger engine, both have about same mpg per manufacture.549300_611614255531487_1661745437_n.jpg

ctspremium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium
    Don't know if this wii be of any help, we purchased a 2013 CTS PREMIUM last September (new), w/3.6 v-6. Rated o-60 in 5.9 sec & I believe it is quicker than that. Mileage is very good, (Normal driving: 19.8 mpg $ hwy: rounded out to 28mpg). Excellent acceleration.

Try to find a premium edition if possible; You won't regret it.

thilehoffer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well I have a 2012 with 3.0 liter and it is still quite fast! Yeah, I wish I had gotten the 3.6L, but I spent 30K for a 2012 with 800 miles. It damn near new, still had the new car smell. I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

The Red Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Luxury Sport Wagon, 3.0L RWD, Crystal Red Tintcoat

Hi all,

I've been a member here for just a few weeks and thought this might be a good time to make my small contribution to the forum, if I might.

Just last month I traded my lumbering '05 GMC Envoy SLT in favor of a pre-owned '10 CTS sport wagon (RWD) with the 3.0L Direct Injected V6 and six-speed shiftable automatic transmission and I can say with some manner of conviction that the 270HP (peak) this 3.0L power plant provides is more than ample to get the CTS to jump when you ask it to, especially when you've got the transmission locked into "sport" mode. Sure, you get about an advertised 30 more HP with the 3.6L and a bit more torque as well, granted. But, here's the dirty little secret: The 18mpg City and 27mpg Highway that are advertised as applying to BOTH engines really doesn't show the 3.0L in the proper light. In reality, I seem to be getting better numbers than this on both ends -- more like 20 or 21 mpg city and 29 or 30 out on the highway. I don't exactly "baby" the car either, though my driving habits do tend to range about 70% to 30% in favor of highway driving which does help to bump the MPG numbers up a tad. Btw, I have the 17" wheels on my CTS wagon which again probably helps to increase my mileage ever-so-slightly over those who might have the 18" wheels installed.

What I'm getting at here is that if you're looking for an engine option that gives you a terrific balance of nice and usable power on demand and can appreciate the MPG edge that the smaller 3.0L seems to be delivering as a reality, then perhaps the 3.0L is the way to go. It's certainly no dog out there on the road either flat off the line or when passing power is required at highway speeds and it certainly seems to be giving me better MPG numbers than ANY of the comparable European competitors have advertised for their wagons (Mercedes, BMW, Volvo) and all of that using regular unleaded gasoline. Bonus! Coupled with the fact that a CTS with the 3.0L on board will likely cost you a couple of grand less than a comparable one outfitted with the 3.6L, it's a nice little bargain. And one that still packs a fun punch when and where it matters!

Truth in advertising statement to follow here: I have not driven a comperable CTS (wagon or other) with the 3.6L engine option. I am merely basing my claims stated here on my real-world experience with the 3.0L DI engine, the HP and MPG numbers posted for both engines by Cadillac and my 30 years of experience driving all manner and makes of cars, trucks and SUV's as an above-average DIY home "wrench".

Hope this all helps in some way and happy driving to all. The CTS seems to be a terrific addition to the Cadillac line no matter which engine option you choose!

----------

Btw -- forgot to mention that my overall average MPG numbers over the last few tanks as reported by the on-board computer are ranging between 25 and 27mpg (again, 70% - 30% in favor of highway driving). This, as compared with the 17-20mpg numbers I had been getting with the '05 Envoy 4.2L I6 I recently traded in for the CTS sport wagon. I'm wondering what to do with all the $$ I'm saving at the pump. Somehow, I'm sure I'll find a way to get rid of it!

The Red Baron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Luxury Sport Wagon, 3.0L RWD, Crystal Red Tintcoat

Btw -- forgot to mention that my overall average MPG numbers over the last few tanks as reported by the on-board computer are ranging between 25 and 27mpg (again, 70% - 30% in favor of highway driving). This, as compared with the 17-20mpg numbers I had been getting with the '05 Envoy 4.2L I6 I recently traded in for the CTS sport wagon. I'm wondering what to do with all the $$ I'm saving at the pump. Somehow, I'm sure I'll find a way to get rid of it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.