Service Air Bag
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Service Air Bag in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I got the "Service Air Bag" message today. Has anybody else experienced this, or know exactly what is wrong? Also, ...
    Pyromaniac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Service Air Bag

I got the "Service Air Bag" message today. Has anybody else experienced this, or know exactly what is wrong? Also, where did you go to get it fixed and how much did it cost? I am past warranty, and am wondering if a third-party service shop could remedy this. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Re: Service Air Bag

Yup, had it and they said there was a chafed wire under the seat so they replaced the wiring harness.

Try jiggling the wire harness under the seat and see if the light goes out, then maybe you have a DIY situation where you can locate the problem.

smithb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I just got teh light a couple weeks ago. They said the passenger side seat-mounted airbag is bad. $600 installed. I told them forget it. I find it hard to believe the airbag mysteriously goes bad. I know it is technically possible, but highly unlikely. When it warms up a little on a free weekend, I will mess with the wiring harnesses and stuff to make sure something isn't loose or damaged.

If I can't fix it I plan on calling a couple body shops to get an estimate. Obviously a body shop should be able to replace these since they theoretically would have to after an accident.

Shouldn't this be a recall issue? I'm not sure how many people have had this, but even though it's past warranty, it isn't due to "wear and tear." Plus, it is a safety issue. In my view, I shouldn't have to pay to have this fixed.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
    Shouldn't this be a recall issue? I'm not sure how many people have had this, but even though it's past warranty, it isn't due to "wear and tear." Plus, it is a safety issue. In my view, I shouldn't have to pay to have this fixed.
    Right - well there's always Katie..............

I took it to my local service shop, and he said it was something with the passenger airbag electrical system and that I should take it to the dealer. I decided I'd take it the next day. However, as I picked up one of my friends, the light magically went away and hasn't come back since. I'm guessing that maybe it just wasn't firing until the passenger airbag was supposed to be "on." Any thoughts? Do you think it still needs to be checked out?

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

I'd wait till it happened again, personally. Sometimes a gremlin comes in for a one-time appearance, never to be seen again.

javis52 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS

I have had this same problem....service air bag...happening for 5 weeks now....still under warranty.... dealer cannot find problem. 2010 CTS

BriggZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS, LUXw/Nav & Sun Roof, RWD; 2012 SRX Performance FWD
    I missed this topic when it was posted in April, but I am having this same problem since new. Bought my '12 this past November and have had this intermittent problem since a couple of days after delivery. Have had it back to the dealer twice. It has thrown a code indicating harness/connector problems and dealer has tried to fix it but the light always goes out before the fix is initiated. Since the last time I had the car to the dealer, the light has come on on two different days. Usually stays on for about 3 or 4 engine starts and then goes out. It has not come on for about 20 days now. Intermittents are tough to find.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    Had the same problem. Dealer cleaned connection harness under driver seat. It was probably 3 years ago. Since then it reapeared a few times. I just wiggled the harness and so far (quite a few months) I have had no issues. The intermittent problems are always hard to fix. Though it seems GM had some issues withe harnesses. Hope they got it under control.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by javis52 View Post
    I have had this same problem....service air bag...happening for 5 weeks now....still under warranty.... dealer cannot find problem. 2010 CTS
    Hello javis52,

I am sorry you are experiencing a service air bag issue with your vehicle and the dealer is unable to find the problem. If there are questions or concerns you would like to discuss, please reach out to us via private message!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by BriggZ View Post
    I missed this topic when it was posted in April, but I am having this same problem since new. Bought my '12 this past November and have had this intermittent problem since a couple of days after delivery. Have had it back to the dealer twice. It has thrown a code indicating harness/connector problems and dealer has tried to fix it but the light always goes out before the fix is initiated. Since the last time I had the car to the dealer, the light has come on on two different days. Usually stays on for about 3 or 4 engine starts and then goes out. It has not come on for about 20 days now. Intermittents are tough to find.
    Hello BriggZ,

I agree with intermittent issues being difficult for a mechanic to find. I am sorry you are experiencing this problem with your 2012 SRX. Please continue to stay active on this forum and I will be sure to look out for updates and or any questions or concerns you reach out to us for.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Had the same problem. Dealer cleaned connection harness under driver seat. It was probably 3 years ago. Since then it reapeared a few times. I just wiggled the harness and so far (quite a few months) I have had no issues. The intermittent problems are always hard to fix. Though it seems GM had some issues withe harnesses. Hope they got it under control.
    Hi MoFex,

Thanks for sharing this information with everyone. I am happy to hear it's been a few months with no issues for your vehicle. Continue to enjoy driving your Cadillac around!

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Kerryberrycadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac cts hi feature

Got the message today as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.