09cts misfire?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Joe
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 09cts misfire? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; driving on highway going about 65-70 mph. Car starts jerking back and forth and loses power. Drop down to 45-50 ...
  1. #1
    skochar22's Avatar
    skochar22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6

    09cts misfire?

    driving on highway going about 65-70 mph. Car starts jerking back and forth and loses power. Drop down to 45-50 mph misfire stops but you can feel the car still has no power. Go to the nearest cadillac dealer, name i wont mention. Was told coil # 3 and spark plug was shot. Got it changed. after the service i noticed the car isnt a 100%. (Only on the highway). Going anywhere from 60-75 mph and releasing the pedal then Lightly giving it gas to speed back up it sort of feels like it has no power and as if the car will misfire again. You can feel it in the engine and the vibrations through the gas pedal? Any suggestions on what to do and check? 61,000 miles. 09 CTS 3.6L AWD

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    127

    Re: 09cts misfire?

    I had the same syptoms after I had two coils fail at the same time and the dealer changed the plugs for only those cylinders as well. I have almost 49,000 miles on mine so I changed the other four plugs with the recommended ACDelcos and it helped alot. Your intake/throttle body may be gunked up too which would also contribute to the symptoms you have. I am having mine cleaned shortly.

  4. #3
    Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    290

    Re: 09cts misfire?

    I had this problem and after three trips to the dealer I finally worked on it myself. I purchased three new coils on line from GM and all new
    plugs. I removed all 6 coils and plugs and laid them on the table and carefully checked the plugs for build up and the coils for flash over. I installed the 3 new coils in the three most difficult spots and used what I thought were the best looking coils for the remaining three. All new plugs were installed with plenty of grease on the threads and the coils to deter any water and corrosion. The car ran great for a very long time but now it seems only on very damp days I will get that occasional skip climbing a grade. Either I have dampness getting in somewhere or I still have a bad coil. Its not that hard to work on and it was fun.
    loosend and loosend like this.

  5. #4
    skochar22's Avatar
    skochar22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by loosend
    I had the same syptoms after I had two coils fail at the same time and the dealer changed the plugs for only those cylinders as well. I have almost 49,000 miles on mine so I changed the other four plugs with the recommended ACDelcos and it helped alot. Your intake/throttle body may be gunked up too which would also contribute to the symptoms you have. I am having mine cleaned shortly.
    Thanks for the info man

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    I had this problem and after three trips to the dealer I finally worked on it myself. I purchased three new coils on line from GM and all new
    plugs. I removed all 6 coils and plugs and laid them on the table and carefully checked the plugs for build up and the coils for flash over. I installed the 3 new coils in the three most difficult spots and used what I thought were the best looking coils for the remaining three. All new plugs were installed with plenty of grease on the threads and the coils to deter any water and corrosion. The car ran great for a very long time but now it seems only on very damp days I will get that occasional skip climbing a grade. Either I have dampness getting in somewhere or I still have a bad coil. Its not that hard to work on and it was fun.
    Thanks for your feedback

  6. #5
    samari is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    59
    I'm getting this issue now, I got check engine and the acceleration hesitation. Checking the error it said misfire cylinder 5. So my brother switched the coil with cylinder 1 and the error says misfire on cylinder 1 now.

    We will replace that coil and see how it goes.

  7. #6
    Xtant12's Avatar
    Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Island Lake IL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    94

    Re: 09cts misfire?

    I had 2 cylinder misfires before I did my tune up. I simply changed all the plugs and made sure gap was right and it went away.. 6k mikes later, still no issues.

  8. #7
    Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    MA
    Age
    66
    Posts
    290

    Re: 09cts misfire?

    I'll tell you what I believe is causing this misfire.....oil, yup OIL. These engines pool oil before the intake and it gets sucked in and fouls the plugs. I'm getting the RX can and hopefully this will take care of a lot this loose oil getting sucked in.

  9. #8
    spaceman78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    887

    Re: 09cts misfire?

    my 2008 cts with 3 thousand miles had the same problem number 3 coil and plug so far so good. the dealer can not belive i have that many miles on my car lol

  10. #9
    samari is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by samari View Post
    I'm getting this issue now, I got check engine and the acceleration hesitation. Checking the error it said misfire cylinder 5. So my brother switched the coil with cylinder 1 and the error says misfire on cylinder 1 now.

    We will replace that coil and see how it goes.
    Update: replaced coil, now all is well.

  11. #10
    loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    127

    Re: 09cts misfire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'll tell you what I believe is causing this misfire.....oil, yup OIL. These engines pool oil before the intake and it gets sucked in and fouls the plugs. I'm getting the RX can and hopefully this will take care of a lot this loose oil getting sucked in.
    I also believe this to be true somewhat but I think it is more of a problem on the intake valves on the DI engine. I am having a top engine cleaning in a day or two and am installing my RX catch can as well. Power is down and I cannot wait to see how different it feels after the cleaning is performed. When I changed my plugs, I did not see alot of evidence of oil fouling but more of a worn electrode due to the high ingition output. The combusion burning inside of the cylinder seems to be very efficient even with the oil getting in there but it cannot be helping.

  12. #11
    snerz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2

    Re: 09cts misfire?

    Had similar problem on 09 CTS awd DI 54,000 mile. hesitation with flashing check engine light. code showed #3 coil. swapped #3 to #1 but did not throw code on #1 so just put in new oem plugs and bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner and problem was solved $36.00 for plugs and $ 8.00 for the Techron.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting