Passenger Side Heated/Cooled seats and Temp control module FAIL
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Cadillac Cust Svc
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Passenger Side Heated/Cooled seats and Temp control module FAIL in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello everyone, I am new to the site and new to the ways of the Cadillac owner, however I am ...
    qijovn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6DI AWD NAV 07 CBR600RR

Passenger Side Heated/Cooled seats and Temp control module FAIL

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and new to the ways of the Cadillac owner, however I am loving every minute of it! I bought my 08 CTS AWD w Nav about two months ago and ive never been able to get the module on the passenger side for temp/heated/cooled seat to work. Zero response from any of the four buttons below the temp screen.... It doesn't bother me too much since Im the driver but my girlfriend is thinking she got the short end of the stick

Is this a relatively common thing? Any ideas of quick troubleshooting I can do on my own?

Thanks fellas!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Passenger Side Heated/Cooled seats and Temp control module FAIL

Hi qijovn, welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting yourself a 2008 CTS!

I'm guessing the issue you face with the passenger side heated seat and ventilated seat controls is being caused by a problem with one of the following:
    • The passenger seat control switch/display module in the integrated center stack (ICS) - Control switch/display module could be dead/defective
    • The CAN graphical interface (CGI) serial data line [transmits data from the switch/display module in ICS to the radio]. > Note: Per the circuit diagram it appears the CGI serial data line also supplies the power that allows the switch/display module to function (i.e. incl. display of seat heat/ventilator status, temp setting and display screen back-lighting) - CGI serial data line could have become unplugged from back of control switch/display module or at radio
    • The radio - but doubtful there's a problem with this, since driver's side seat control switch/display module operates correctly
    • The GMLAN serial data line [transmits data from the radio to the memory seat module] - but doubtful there's a problem with this, since driver's side seat control switch/display module operates correctly
    • The memory seat module (MSM)
    Below is a copy/paste of "Heated/Vented Seat Description and Operation" text from the CTS service manual.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Service Information
    2008 Cadillac CTS | CTS VIN D Service Manual

Heated/Vented Seat Description and Operation

Heated Seat Components
    The heated seats consist of the following components:
    • Left heated seat switch
    • Left vented seat switch
    • Right heated seat switch
    • Right vented seat switch
    • HVAC control panel
    • Memory seat module
    • Left seat cushion heating element
    • Left seat back heating element
    • Left seat cushion temperature sensor
    • Right seat cushion heating element
    • Right seat back heating element
    • Right seat cushion temperature sensor
    • MISC IGN Fuse 10 A

Heated Seat Operation
    The driver and passenger heated seats are controlled by separate heated seat switches. Both switches are located in the integrated center stack (ICS). When a heated seat switch is pressed, a message is sent via the CAN graphical interface (CGI) serial data line to the radio. The radio then serves as a gateway to transmit the message to the memory seat module (MSM) via GMLAN serial data indicating the heated seat command. In response to this signal, the MSM then applies or removes battery voltage through the element supply voltage circuit of the seat heating elements. The MSM then sends a serial data message back to the radio to gateway the information to the ICS to either illuminate or turn off the appropriate temperature indicator.

Temperature Regulation
    The heated seat system is designed to warm the seat cushion and seat back to 3 different temperature settings; High, MED, and Low. The memory seat module (MSM) monitors the seat temperature through the temperature sensor signal circuits and the temperature sensors (thermistor) that are located in the seat cushion and the seat back. The temperature sensors are variable resistors, their resistance varies as the temperature of the seat changes. When the temperature sensor resistance indicates to the MSM that the seat has reached the desired temperature, the module opens the ground path of the seat heating elements through the heated seat element control circuit. The module will then cycle the element control circuit open and closed in order to maintain the desired temperature.

Vented Seat Operation
    The vented seat operation is designed to draw cabin air around and away from the occupant through small holes in the seat cushion and seat back covers, through channels in the foam pad, and then through the blower motor exhausting the waste air under the seat cushion.

The driver and passenger vented seats are controlled by separate vented seat switches located in the integrated center stack (ICS) with the radio and HVAC controls. With the ignition ON, Ignition voltage is supplied to the driver and passenger seat blower motors through the MISC IGN fuse located in the underdood fuse block. Ground from G200 is provided to the driver seat blower motors, while G201 provides ground for the passenger seat blower motors. When a vented seat switch is pressed, a message is sent via the CAN graphical interface (CGI) serial data line to the radio. The radio then serves as a gateway to transmit the message to the memory seat module (MSM) via the GMLAN serial data line indicating the vented seat command. In response to this message, the MSM applies a low side pulse width modulation (PWM) signal through the blower motor control circuits to the seat cushion and seat back blower motors indicating the vented seat command. The logic in the blower motors then sets the blower speed to the switch set point. Both blower motors run drawing cabin air around and away from occupant. The MSM then sends a serial data message back to the radio to gateway the information back to the ICS to either illuminate or turn off the appropriate switch indicator.

Load Management
    The electrical power management function is designed to monitor the vehicle electrical load and determine when the battery is potentially in a high discharge condition. The heated seat system is one of the vehicle loads that is subject to reduction during a battery discharge condition. For more information on load management refer to Electrical Power Management Description and Operation.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For ref/info below are links to memory seat circuit diagrams for the '08 CTS:
    - Memory seat circuit pdf file 1 of 3: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?fp72q6j1i8sajvb
    - Memory seat circuit pdf file 2 of 3: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?4j11gs5lwm21gm2
    - Memory seat circuit pdf file 3 of 3: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?4mnnenbnzi7c39h

> Depiction of control switch/display module(s) for driver and passenger seats is found in bottom right-hand corner of pdf file 3 of 3.

WOW. excellent information thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Qijovn, it's great to see that RAB was able to provide information this weekend that you found helpful! If you have any lingering concerns and would like me to investigate them for you, please let me know. I'm available via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    qijovn and qijovn like this.

Thank you very much! It's great to see all of the support around here. I expect I'll enjoy my stay very well

and yes I will keep in contact should concerns arise.

UPDATE ON CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE

Thank God for a warranty!!! The buttons were all worn out on my temp control and heated/cooled seats. Cadillac sent me a complete instrument cluster brand new to fix the issue.

I love new stuff!!! Seats work great and now my girlfriend has found something else to bitch about!!!! hehehe

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by qijovn View Post
    UPDATE ON CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE

Thank God for a warranty!!! The buttons were all worn out on my temp control and heated/cooled seats. Cadillac sent me a complete instrument cluster brand new to fix the issue.

I love new stuff!!! Seats work great and now my girlfriend has found something else to bitch about!!!! hehehe
    Hello qijovn,

Thanks for keeping us updated regarding your climate control model! I am very happy to hear that you are very happy with the new instrument cluster and that it has been covered under warranty. Please be sure to private message us on this account if you have any further questions or concerns. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.