Irritating headrest problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By akamai43
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Irritating headrest problem in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have had the car about a week and have had several long trips, I really like the car with ...
    dandunham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS performance mdl 3.6L

Irritating headrest problem

I have had the car about a week and have had several long trips, I really like the car with one complaint. The bottom portion of the headrest protrudes out enough to hit me right at the base of the neck where the neck meets the shoulders. I have found this to be exceedingly irritating and have not found a seat position or headrest position that fixes the issue. Is there any way to adjust the headrest other than simply vertically.

The car is a 2011 CTS performance with the heated and cooled seats. The seats are very firm but I like them that way, its just those darn headrests that are killing me.

Let me know if you know of any way to fix this.

Thanks
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

akamai43 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Black diamond tricoat on Black 3.6
    Did someone reverse your headrest ?? I've seen that before in the GMC Acadia where a friend of mine wanted the headrest supporting his head so he turned them around. I'm not sure this can be done with a 2011 cts or not but I know it can be done with the GMC's.
    tinman and tinman like this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Irritating headrest problem

Let me know if you find an answer. I've had this on my last three CTS's. It obviously wasn't a deal breaker but the design could be better. Probably has something to do with the adaptive head restraint system.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Dan, congratulations on your CTS! I'm sorry you (and C"T"ess!) have been experiencing headrest concerns, and I will be sure to document your feedback where the appropriate GM teams can view it. In the meantime, we recommend bringing your concerns to your dealer's attention. And if you would like any assistance working with your dealer along the way, please don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks all, after playing with it a bit more I think the real problem is that I am 6'3'' and the head restraint simply wont extend high enough. If I could get it another 2 inches higher things would be good. In response to Akamai43 - I was not able to remove the head rest or I would definitely be reversing them.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dandunham
    Thanks all, after playing with it a bit more I think the real problem is that I am 6'3'' and the head restraint simply wont extend high enough. If I could get it another 2 inches higher things would be good. In response to Akamai43 - I was not able to remove the head rest or I would definitely be reversing them.
    Seems like "another two inches" could solve a lot of problems.

Sorry I couldn't help my self on that one.

thavil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Cherry Cadillac CTS4
    Quote Originally Posted by dandunham View Post
    I reversed mine but decided to put them back as designed. To remove the headrest, tilt your seat back to make clearance. Push in the release button and raise to the top position. On the opposite side of the release button, you should see a small hole. Use a small drill bit or something similar and apply pressure in the hole while holding the release button in. Your headrest should come right out.

I have fixed the issue, Thanks Thavil, mine did not have a hole but it did have a well concealed button similar to the primary button that let me remove the headrest. the headrest is adjusted vertically simply by the notches in the bars that it extends on. SO all i did was take my saber saw with blade rated to cut steel and added a notch farther down the bar. this now allows me to extend the headrest so it aligns with my head properly. these bars use very hard steel so you have to be careful not to overheat the blade while making the cut. If you have this issue ,I am not saying its the correct fix for you as I don't know what the real safety issues might be so if you use this idea its at your own risk Hope this helps the tall on the forum

I spoke to soon, Just to update my previous post. I continued to have problems with the head rest poking me at the base of the neck so I pulled it out of the car, pulled the skin off of the headrest and reformed the plastic inner core to reshape the bottom of the headrest. I used a heat gun to do this and have attached a picture. I also cut away some of the inner foam padding to blend the form a bit better. Now that I have that done I can sit in the seat as I like and it feels much more comfortable all the way around. Now I just need to figure out how to fix the lack of lateral bolsters and I wont feel like I am going to slide out of my seat every time a take a hard corner.photo.jpeg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.