Another Gas Mileage Thread :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Another Gas Mileage Thread :( in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey guys. I'm yet another customer that's rather disappointed with the mileage i'm getting. However, before complaining, i'd like to ...
    Renz1088 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Another Gas Mileage Thread :(

Hey guys. I'm yet another customer that's rather disappointed with the mileage i'm getting. However, before complaining, i'd like to know if what i'm seeing is normal, or if their may be a bigger issue. The DIC is displaying a horrible 10.1 MPG and I would like to know if this was normal during the first uses of the car. I only have 700 miles on it so I know you need about 3000 to break in the engine. Did anyone see these horribly low numbers when they first got their CTS? It's a brand new '13 CTS Coupe and I dont drive with a heavy foot. I'm located in NYC so it's very difficult to use cruise control effectively with the amount of traffic here. I also put in $20-$25 in gas on a normal trip that gets me a little below half a tank. Do you think it would make a difference if I were to fill up the whole tank as opposed to working with half a tank?

Let me know if there are any tips that i'm missing other than avoiding driving with a heavy foot.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

droptopron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 3.0 AWD Sedan

Re: Another Gas Mileage Thread :(

I have a 3.0 AWD sedan and my mileage is considerably better than that and was never as low as you are seeing. I live on LI & mine is mostly used short trips.

Limerockracer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS SportWagon

Not sure how applicable this is to you. I have a 2010 3.6 Sportwagon (Performance) that I got with 13k on the odometer. Weekly commutes from White Plains to Lexington, Mass would provide 21 to 22 mpg (best was 24 mpg on two occassions). However, my in-town driving (White Plains and environs) the mileage would drop to between 14 to 16 mpg. With 700 miles on yours and NYC driving, your 10 mpg is probably correct. I think was the engine has broken in, you will see an improvement, but not sure how much given the stop-and-go of NYC driving.

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Don't trust the indicators. Only way to tell for sure is to calculate it off of the trip meter and how much you put in.

akamai43 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Black diamond tricoat on Black 3.6
    When I bought my 2013, I was getting the same as you but after about 1500 miles, it got better.
    I am now up to 18 to 20 mpg. This is what I would expect get given I'm in traffic all the time.

ctspremium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium
    I read all 5 posts on this thread & I am a little surprised at the variations in MPG. This our 5th caddy & the first CTS for us. We have had this CTS for 7 months now and MPG around where we live is around 19.0 MPG. Sustained Highway is 27 - 30 MPG.

There are times where I have pushed it up to & above 120 MPH, with no shakes, vibration, etc. Passing is a joy in this CTS (v-6, 318 hp).

We do not "baby" the car, but we don't abuse it either. Other than our '03 SLS this seems to be a great vehicle.

FZ

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Renz1088 et al., please email me if any of you would like me to document your individual experiences or would like me to look into your concerns further. I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and happy to investigate on your behalf!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Premium Coupe

On 3 CTS's I never saw MPG below 19 on a full tank of 87 octane. Use Top Tier gas as well - Shell, Exxon, Mobil in your area. Make sure you are resetting the DIC after a fill up. And fill it up to get a more accurate reading. Also reset the average speed to see just how bad things are in the city. Havent driven in NYC lately, so are you doing a lot of sitting still? Must be to get 10mpg. Shouldnt matter that much if you are in the break in period. The 3.6DI that I have now is a couple of MPGs below the 3.6L regular V6 I had with my 08. Take the car out of the city and do some highway driving. And I dont ever see a time when you could use, or should use, cruise control in NYC???!!

So you have the Onstar mobile APP? Check the lifetime MPG there too.

HGK2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 cts coupe awd

Have under 1000 miles on my 2013 coupe. Getting 16 mpg in nnj.

ncscons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS 3.6 AWD

One big difference in mileage for me seems to be how many times I have to come to a COMPLETE stop then get going again, specially on hills. These cars are way too heavy (4000+lbs for mine) and like jumping out of plane without parachute the laws of physics always apply!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

In town 15 to 16, on the highway 20-21. I can't honestly say that fuel mileage was a consideration when buying my car. I was more interest in acceleration and torque.

Blocky is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    In town 15 to 16, on the highway 20-21. I can't honestly say that fuel mileage was a consideration when buying my car. I was more interest in acceleration and torque.
    I just purchased a new 2013 CTS coupe the last week in March. The gas mileage is absolutely horrendous. The DIH said the vehicle was averaging 19 miles per gallon. How can that be? I filled the tank up 4 times and only have 950 miles on the car. I love it.....gas mileage nowhere near what GM claims!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Firstly you have a new car and the engine is not fully broken in. Secondly you are doing what I think you are saying, a lot of stop and go driving. Niether will help your mileage. Plan a weekend trip using a mix of interstate and local roads with the emphasis on highway. Once the engine is properly broken in you will see a rise in mpg. The only factor that will never allow you to achieve the numbers you expect , is that city driving.

jovi440 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

For what it means, Drove my 08 on a 280 mile trip and the best mpg was 22.9. My car only has 25K on it and it should have did much better. My cruising speed was around 73 mph. Before the return trip I put a bottle of Gumout full fuel system cleaner into a full tank of gas, and driving into a 20mph head wind cruising between 70 to 75 mph, I arrived home with a MPG reading of 26.2 and still climbing. Car hasn't did this well since it was new.$8.00 well spent. My car sets in a garage most of the time and only gets driven on short trips. Was probably carboned up bad from the short trips around town.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ jovi440, thanks. Note your info would be more helpful/meaningful if you advise the engine model (SFI or SIDI 3.6L) as well as drive configuration (RWD or AWD) of your '08 CTS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.