2008 CTS AWD Transmission problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sbudaj
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS AWD Transmission problems in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I am here at this site because I cannot find an answer anywhere else. I own a 2008 CTS AWD, ...
    mrusso is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD

2008 CTS AWD Transmission problems

I am here at this site because I cannot find an answer anywhere else. I own a 2008 CTS AWD, automatice, 6 speed, with the sport mode (which I never use). I purchased the vehilce used with 52K. After about 5000 miles (which is about 4 weeks for me, I drive an average of 50K a year) a shaft shattered in both the transmission and transfer case. This is what I was told by the Cadillac dealer that rebuilt the transmission. It was all covered under warrentee. Today I sit with my CTS transmission being rebuilt again, almost two years to the day and 90K later.

Can anybody offer an explanation? I have searched car rating websites, and with the exception of the Timing Chains issue, the 2008 CTS gets high ratings, and I cannot find anyone that has had transmission problems.

I have owned over a dozen cars in 30 years. My last two have been CTS's. I had a 2005, with a 5 speed manual and this 2008. They are the two best cars I have owned as far as comfort and performance and both have had transmission issues.

I don't expect everything to last for ever, but I do not expect a transmission to need to be rebuilt twice. I am not a kid and I don't drive like one.

So my question is there an issues on Cadillac transmissions? I expect to get ride of my 2008 CTS, and replace it with another one, but I am not sure the quality is there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2008 CTS AWD Transmission problems

Mrusso, I see you're looking for owner opinions, but I wanted to let you know I'm also available if you would like me to investigate any concern further for you. Please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

sbudaj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Blue Chip AWD 3.6DI FE2

I am having a similar but weirder problem: Yesterday I stopped at a red light. Car was running just fine up to that point. When the light turned green, the car simply would not go anywhere. It finally started to move very slowly regardless of how much gas I gave it. Seems like it was stuck in 6th gear. It did start to pick up and I was able to get it to the speed limit, but the same problem occurred at the next light. (Cars honking at me.) I was about a mile from home, so I babied it and was barely able to make it. My driveway is on a slight incline and I couldn't even make it up the drive. I had to put the car in reverse and get up the drive that way.

I had it towed to the Cadillac dealer where it sits today. I haven't heard back from them about what it is. But it certainly sounds expensive. I have about 67,000 miles on it.

OnboardError is offline Cadillac Owners Member

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-happened.html

Same exact thing happen to me... Tranny and transfer case issue... Check my story out here man... I'm worried it will happen again in time too.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Did you both run into ANY other symptoms before it did that?

No prior issues. Just happened all of a sudden.
    paulmillner likes this.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Before my driveshaft failed , I'd have a really loud clunk p to d or r. Basically any combination of the three.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Thanks guys. I asked because my CTS has gotten stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear once each in the past week but only in sport mode when i was driving like a nut. (not redlining but the RPMs were up there both times) Easy fix was to just shift up manually. Ive been reading other threads on it so it must be unrelated. Thanks again for your input.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Just a thought, everyone knows that our cars have a module that collects all operating data, right?

So if you kill your car, take it to the dealer for repairs, they can determine what you were doing when it went bong! It's best not to abuse your car if you want warranty paid work.

Just my 2 cents, Marv

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Nobody else with a Transmission PROBLEM? I realize the date of the OP, so look here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ions-suck.html

and here (this was my first thread): http://http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/300417-dropped-trans.html

Well, dealer says that transmission fluid lines were corroded and leaking resulting in low fluid and the trans sticking in 6th gear. They say there is no internal transmission damage. (although how they know that without taking it apart I don't know.) Just have to replace all the lines. ($650) Funny thing is that I haven't seen any fluid on my driveway. Will probably be getting it back tomorrow.

We will see.......

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

You must have taken it to Claude Nolan Cadillac!

jimbo99 Guest

I also own a 2008 CTS with AWD. Front differential has blown twice in the same year. Continues to make noises. Its a chronic problem with this car.

dan87951 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Too many cars to list...

Our 2010 CTS had leaky transmission lines at around 35k miles. I'm a bit of a car nut so I go over the car every time I service it which is about every 5 months or so. I noticed the leaky line during one of my services and called the dealer to have them replace those lines ASAP. Running the car low on trans fluid can burn it up. So far at 55k miles we have no transmission problems. Our issues seem to be radiator related -- as of today the car will be going on its 3rd radiator in 55k miles.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

I have to ask, so please don't take offense. OP, have you ever had the transmssion fluid and filter changed? It sound like your at abour 140K mies now. It should have been changed twice now and getting ready for a 3rd change based on the maintenance schedule. I guess the original replace/rebuild would ahve taken care of the first change, but 90K with no changes is likely a problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.