Installed fog lights to almost factory OEM install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 6 Post By rspreng
  • 1 Post By rspreng
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Installed fog lights to almost factory OEM install in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Well I finally finished up on doing an OEM fog light install and it was a heck of a project. ...
    rspreng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony

Installed fog lights to almost factory OEM install

Well I finally finished up on doing an OEM fog light install and it was a heck of a project. I installed the signal wire from the BCM as well as swapping the turn signal switch out with an OEM w/ the fog switch. I used all OEM parts except for wire/fuse and relay. All wires were inserted into expandable wire loom which makes it look really nice. I forgot to take a picture of the lamp connector harness I made.

Here is picture with bezel with factory block off plate.

Picture of relay and harness. I mounted to threaded stud on shock tower.

Picture of fog lamps on w/ parking lights

Picture of telltale indicator on dash.
    C "T" ess, RAB, RAB and 3 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Installed fog lights to almost factory OEM install

Terrific job rspreng! You even have the fog light ON indicator happening in the instrument cluster. Well done!
    I can appreciate the fact that it was quite the project.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Full write up please.

So I can go to stock switch.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Terrific job rspreng! You even have the fog light ON indicator happening in the instrument cluster. Well done!
    I can appreciate the fact that it was quite the project.
    I was determined to get this install to as close to factory as possible. I also like indicator lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdabs View Post
    Full write up please.

So I can go to stock switch.
    I will start a write up tonight. I have all the P/N's as well as some pictures I can add.

GrayGhost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

The black mesh on the bezel, was that OEM...and can air pass through? My '08 has open duct and I've been looking for something attractive to cover without restricting air flow.

Good job...looks great!

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

Waiting for your write up. I would love to do this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
    The black mesh on the bezel, was that OEM...and can air pass through? My '08 has open duct and I've been looking for something attractive to cover without restricting air flow.

Good job...looks great!
    Factory OEM pieces, does not let air pass through, I was not going to have an open hole that will let all kinds of stuff accumulate in there. The ECM computer sits on the driver side right above the opening. It took a bit to source these 'deflectors' as GM calls them. The P/N's will be in my write up.

Here is the write up of installing fog lamps.

Parts that are needed

Bezels – 15904574 & 15904575
    Deflectors – 20907553 & 20907554
    Lamps X 2 – 25808666
    OEM switch - 20998956
    Landed Terminal – 13575870 (comes in a pack of 5)
    Lamp Connectors X 2 – 10205498 (look on eBay much cheaper, BTW this is old GM number not used)
    12 V Relay – eBay or local store
    12 V relay harness- eBay or local store
    In-line mini- fuse – eBay or store
    15 Amp mini fuse – local store
    12GA 5/16 ring terminal – auto store
    Shrink Tube – local store
    14 & 16 GA Black wire 20’ – local store
    14 GA Red wire 20’ – local store
    1/8 Wire loom – Grainger 2RLL3 100’ (I bought 100’ it because I use it all the time)
    1/4 Wire loom – Grainger 1UXW6 100’
    Wire Ties – local store
    Solder/flux – local store

A lot of patience

Make sure battery is disconnected while doing this work, safety first.

I went ahead and installed my lights first. I removed the splash shields as well as the center front splash shield under the car. That gave me access to everything I needed. I did not have to jack the car up. I grounded the lamp harness on driver side using a horn bracket bolt. I only ran one wire up to the shock tower for the (+12V)

For the signal wire I used 16 GA wire that runs from the BCM to the shock tower, I went through grommet to left of brake pedal. I used the metal rod in an old wiper blade. I did have to poke a small hole in the grommet but I had a helper slide the metal rod while I made sure it came out as close to the wires on the engine side. I then looped a single strand telephone wire on the wiper rod and pulled it back through to use as my fish wire. I soldered the small wire to my signal wire and pulled it back through. I ran the signal wire along the harness on back of engine to the shock tower on the passenger side and attached with zip ties as I went.

I zip tied the wire as well as ran some tape to secure signal wire to existing harness where it exits the grommet/rubber boot. You will be working blind because the harness comes out under the brake booster.

Solder the landed terminal 13575870 to your signal wire.

Insert this wire into the black BCM connector position 11 (in 2011 CTS), it takes a little wiggle to get it to seat, be careful as it’s a delicate terminal. I zip tied this wire to the other wires for the connector.

You can install your OEM switch 20998956 by removing the 3-4 screws on bottom of steering column, pinch the plastic pieces and pull out and down, it is a little tricky, leave the top piece in, squeeze the release tabs and remove old switch, be careful while disconnecting the two connectors. Reverse for installation.

Now you can install the relay and in-line fuse. I purchased a relay with a tab with a hole through it so I could mount it on the threaded stud on the shock tower. I just happened to have some GM nuts that fit perfectly and matched the OEM look.

The relay base came with five wires, I removed the center one (87A), not needed in this application.
    Number 30 and Number 86 are connected to the main bus bolt with an in-line 15A fuse. Number 85 is your signal wire coming from the BCM. Number 87 connects to your harness that runs down to your lights. I used an in-line fuse with a built in cover to protect it from the elements.
    To attach to the main bus bolt I used a ring terminal (12GA, I crimped and then soldered for safety, I removed the yellow plastic because it gets in the way and prevents a good crimp. Pictures of talking points:

Back side of fog lamps with connector and harness.

I ran all the wires in expandable wire loom to make it match as factory as possible. I would have used the factory fuse box but it is just way too hard to open w/o damaging something and taking the risk that something might not work when you put it back together.

A nice part I installed is the deflectors that block the opening that supplies air to the brakes on FE3 equipped models. Here is how they attach to the bezels.

All done and no funny wires in sight.

Feel free to ask any questions, I sat down and hammered this out quickly and if need be I will go back and edit it.

Let me know if it helps.
    smoke49 likes this.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Very nice job!

Esso the Clown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts 2008, Cts 2003
    Hi, first great work! Second, a question hehehhe where is The bcm module hehehe i Will try to do this, on this weekend i hope can be answer me!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.