09 engine noise - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 09 engine noise in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Wow, thanks guy's for all your input! ^ Smokeys427, given that you carry out your own oil changes (using Mobile ...
    Smokeys427 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Re: 09 engine noise

Wow, thanks guy's for all your input!
    ^ Smokeys427, given that you carry out your own oil changes (using Mobile 1 as you stated), what brand/model of oil filter are you applying? In the first document I attached above it is advised that the correct type (GM-approved) oil filter is to be used, having an anti-drainback feature. Does the filter you apply have this feature? Also - what viscosity oil are you using?
    RAB, I use Mobile one oil and thinking maybe changing to Castroil synthetic Oil 5w-30 and see if it works out better. I have used it in the Corvette without any problems also. I also always use AC/Delco filters or Pureolator and at times Wix oil filters which are high quality. NEVER FRAM! had my oil changed once in a pinch when I had my then new '97 Z/28 Camaro LT1 and it started making an engine start-up sound and changed oil filters ASAP and found that they had used a cheapie oil filter with out the by pass. Also thanks for the info above

My working hypothesis is that a bypass valve with a weak spring allows momentary low oil pressure during some startup conditions. It would be a better theory if it was the ADBV. Perhaps the ADBV depends on a properly functioning bypass valve. I am doing an O&F change this morning, and will investigate further. As I say, all I know is I changed it and the noise went away.
    ktr-sb, What do you mean by the ADVB? I'm guessing some kind of Valve Bypass correct? If so, which one are you talking about and where is it other than the oil bypass in the oil filter? That might be something I need to check into. My oil cap looks good and fits on snug also.
    I did notice after a 70 mile trip yesterday and the car sat for about 30 minutes and cranking it up again it made the sound again but louder this time. It does not sound like lower main bearings at all though.
    I do plan to take it back in on Wednesday and having the change the oil and do the consumption test so at least i can get a file started on this.

Thanks again for all the info and support you posters have given. I'm sure in time I'll get this problem nailed down one way or another

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeys427 View Post
    ktr-sb, What do you mean by the ADVB? I'm guessing some kind of Valve Bypass correct? If so, which one are you talking about and where is it other than the oil bypass in the oil filter?
    ADBV means anti-drainback valve. It keeps oil in the filter housing full of oil when the engine is off. In our vehicles, it has a spring-loaded stem that is depressed by the base of the installed oil filter cartridge.

Looking at the oil filter housing cap won't tell you anything. If you don't mind gambling $30.00, I would tell the dealer to replace the cap when they do the next oil change. It might have been a coincidence on mine, but it's still quiet.

And all due respect, but I have been using Fram filters for years on my LX5s, which are notoriously finicky motors. I have used the steel core Frams on the SRX without problem. The LY7 filter spins in the housing, and I suspect that the combination of not pre-lubricating the oil filter end seals and using plastic core filters is what has caused some to have collapsed cartridges.

But I'm no engineer.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I have never read anything positive about Fram filters.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Well, now you have.

Smokeys427 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

OK, My CTS is scheduled to get the oil changed and a oil consumption test done on it along with them to hear the engine noise again. This way I'll get it documented and have a file started on the car with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Absolutely tinman and I agree. All one has to do is just do some quality reading on oil filterers and oil filter comparison's. OR, to see first hand for yourself (the best way), just get a Fram, a GM, a Pureolator, and a Wix gold oil filter. Cut them open and you will be astounded at the difference with the oil pleat count and the by-pass. The Fram has about half the filtering quality's that the latter filters do. I don't want to start an argument and I respect what anyone use's on their vehicle, but for me personally I just won't use a Fram.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeys427 View Post
    I don't want to start an argument and I respect what anyone use's on their vehicle, but for me personally I just won't use a Fram.
    Your money. I am just trying to save people time and money. I am not a vendor, not trying to sell stuff our vehicles don't need. But Frams on our vehicles don't have ADBVs or bypasses, counting pleats says little without knowing the filtration capacity of the media, and filtration at the expense of flow rate is not a good tradeoff.

I pull apart every filter I take off my cars, and closely inspect both sides. Fram filters do what I pay them to do, and I have three vehicles with an average of over 200K each.

yvrapx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sport Wagon

Smokey,
    I have the base model 2009 CTS as well (3.6) and experience a noise on acceleration that sounds like an engine getting insufficient octane. Does the low growl, diesel like noise and after many trips to dealers in the US and Canada, all GM says is there is nothing wrong with it on a technical basis as far as the engine goes. So they think it may be carbon buildup in the combustion chamber but left it up to me to deal with it. Clearly a poor explanation with no real solution. Let me know what you find out, if anything at this juncture when I look to replace the CTS will probably go to another make, GM service doesn't cut it and there lots of small finishing issues that have plagued this unit.

yvrapx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sport Wagon

Well I believe I have the located source of my noise problem. I use US gas which has and is mandated to contain a lot of ethanol. Corn based Ethanol is poison for and engine and as an experiment i ran some cleaner through it on a time I was refilling a near empty tank. It seems to work as the noise has diminished a lot and it basically stopped when I added the fuel cleaner specifically for cleaning out the gummy ethanol deposits.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I think what you might be experiencing is that the spring located inside the oil filter cap has begun to wear. When cold it is stiff enough so that there is no noise. Once the engine warms up, the spring relaxes just a bit allowing it to loose it's full strength and allows the filter to vibrate causing the noise you are hearing. Replace the oil filter cover and you should be good to go for another 100,000 miles.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

I suspect it is the timing chains getting loose. They have oil pressure driven tensioners that take a few seconds to adjust the slack upon start up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.