2011 CTS Double din retro fit - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2011 CTS Double din retro fit in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Wow man that is amazing. I have an 08 cts and always wanted to retro fit it but after reading ...
    DmillCTS08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS RWD 3.6l V6
    Wow man that is amazing. I have an 08 cts and always wanted to retro fit it but after reading around on the Internet didn't think it was possible.

vicious.ventu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: 2011 CTS Double din retro fit

Quote Originally Posted by wow11 View Post
    Have you contacted Crutchfield Electronics in Charlottesville, VA?
    No to be honest Im not really sure how I would go about something like that. As far as what is required to legally claim a design as mine. Or even what kind of costs are associated with that. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction

Esso the Clown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts 2008, Cts 2003
    Its perfect!! Great work men!!!

DmillCTS08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS RWD 3.6l V6
    So if was to buy a center dash with nav from another cts, could I just switch them?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

This so totally cool. You did a fantastic job. There is no way anyone could think that it's not factory. What color do you eventually plan to paint it.

andynice20 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Bump b/c you deserve it!

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Have you painted the silver yet? I'm curious to know if you found a process to paint the silver and have it be durable. I need to work on the part that surrounds my shifter and I want it to match without having to paint all the silver of the console.

andrewhuynh1995 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS

This is absolutely amazing. If only I were talented Enough to do a job like this. How's it working for you? Have you lost functionality in anything? Volume controls or anything? Nav work?

joekitch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

fantastic job
    you could actually use that first fiberglass thing as a master, and use vaccu-forming to mass produce them and sell them
    that hole seems like the standard double-DIN sized hole so it should work for just about any double-din setup out there
    you could event modify it to make a single-DIN version and mass produce that as well

I appreciate all the positive feedback, @ HurstGN I haven't painted it yet, I've actually been looking into different processes to get this reproduced. I would like to make this easily available for anyone else who wants to upgrade their factory system. I just dont know if it would be cost effective yet. I have to do alot more research before I make any decisions on production.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhuynh1995 View Post
    This is absolutely amazing. If only I were talented Enough to do a job like this. How's it working for you? Have you lost functionality in anything? Volume controls or anything? Nav work?
    Everything's working properly, The only thing lost from doing this retrofit was the factory radio display, along with the factory volume, and tuning knobs. The factory stereo remains fully functional through the steering wheel mounted audio controls, and runs my pioneer double din through the aux-in in the center console. I just ran RCAs from my front and rear channels into Y splitters, and straight into the aux in. So basically the Stock radio sees my double din as an MP3 device.

As far as nav goes, I have the pioneer AVH-X5500 installed, which doesnt come equiped with Nav, but it does have App Radio that works with an IPod or IPhone there might be a Nav app, but you have to purchase an IPod video cable.
    I plan on upgrading to the AVH-X8500 so I can hook up my Galaxy S3 via the HDMI input with my MHL adapter. An App called AR liberator will than allow me to mirror my GS3 on the Pioneer head unit, giving me Navigation, Netflix, Youtube, and pretty much anything else that you can do with an Android device.

sliderule01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

I have a bit simpler idea. I would look at scanning the part and importing into a 3D-Printer. You can then print off on the bezels on an as-needed basis. The size of the part is well within the capability of #D printers that are available on the consumer market.
    themaniacal1 likes this.

JeffJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

I like it. Looks great. If you get a way to produce them, I may be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule01 View Post
    I have a bit simpler idea. I would look at scanning the part and importing into a 3D-Printer. You can then print off on the bezels on an as-needed basis. The size of the part is well within the capability of #D printers that are available on the consumer market.
    I have been looking into rapid prototyping using 3D printing, along with urethane casting and SLS. I'm currently in the process of replicating the metal mounting bracket, out of fiberglass, and modifying that to be able to fit a single din headunit. Im also re working the front bezel, in order to get my body lines as straight as possible, along with cleaning up any imperfections. Once Im satisified with the bezel, I think Im going to consider the SLS process to get a master fine tuned and ready for urethane casting.
    I still have alot of research to do before I make any final decisions, but I'll try to post updates, whenever progress is made.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    I like it. Looks great. If you get a way to produce them, I may be interested.
    If or when I do manage to get this reproduced, it will mostly likely be a short run to start. I believe cast urethane is good for atleast 20-25 applications, I hope to start there. So if I can atleast produce 25, I will be looking to give about five of them away to a few members on here. Its not going to happen overnight, but if or when it does, Im also going to be looking for one member who has the premium navigation, whom for whatever reason may not be satisfied with the stock navi, who would like to upgrade to a aftermaket setup. It should be do able by just removing the oem Nav screen and completely reversible if you ever wish to go back to stock

Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V & 2010 AWD CTS

I have been watching this thread deciding what to do in my 2010 cts. Kenwood makes a hide-away brain with external touch screen controller. Searching on google, theres a shop that installed the control monitor where a stock nav screen goes and used an actuator to lift it. This is turn leaves no need for heavy dash modification.
    I also though about modding in a single din unit, and using a pop up aux monitor.
    Lastly, I really like how this double din unit looks and want to give so up huge props!!!

I'm off work for about 2 weeks and just trying to decide which route to go.

Vicious- are you selling templates/brackets yet? Might help make my decision easier LOL

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Scott2012 View Post
    I have been watching this thread deciding what to do in my 2010 cts. Kenwood makes a hide-away brain with external touch screen controller. Searching on google, theres a shop that installed the control monitor where a stock nav screen goes and used an actuator to lift it. This is turn leaves no need for heavy dash modification.
    I also though about modding in a single din unit, and using a pop up aux monitor.
    Lastly, I really like how this double din unit looks and want to give so up huge props!!!

I'm off work for about 2 weeks and just trying to decide which route to go.

Vicious- are you selling templates/brackets yet? Might help make my decision easier LOL
    I would go with the Kenwood for 2 reasons....you will get all the functionality/resolution of an aftermarket product AND maintain the OEM look. The OEM look is crucial for resale value. Do you have the Kenwood model number?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.