2011 CTS Double din retro fit - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2011 CTS Double din retro fit in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by jeffc83 Amazing....You did one he** of a job on the dash/overall fit! I'm sure you'll be receiving ...
    vicious.ventu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: 2011 CTS Double din retro fit

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Amazing....You did one he** of a job on the dash/overall fit! I'm sure you'll be receiving orders soon

Edit: I haven't visited this thread the past several days and have edited my original post.
    Thanks I still have alot of bodywork to do on it. I havent even started the bondo yet. Im still undecided on how I should finish the top portion of the bezel.

IMG_20130209_195640.jpg Should I glass the bezel along the display cover on top, or should I just remove that all together and just glass the bezel directly to the dash? Either way I go, Im gonna build a frame to give shape to the top portion, along with the center body line

RCAs ran from the front channel of the Double din, into the 3.5mm aux-in, using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter from radioshack IMG_20130209_170649.JPEG

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious.ventu View Post
    Thanks I still have alot of bodywork to do on it. I havent even started the bondo yet. Im still undecided on how I should finish the top portion of the bezel.
    I would just make everything as flush as possible and possibly consider painting it carefully in black or your choice of color.

The aux input is the perfect workaround!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    I would just make everything as flush as possible and possibly consider painting it carefully in black or your choice of color.

The aux input is the perfect workaround!
    Yeah in my opinoin the aux input is the best and easiest way to go for anyone who plans on just running the stock speakers. As far as the paint goes, I plan on doing a black and silver marbleized job

Im not sure how good you can see it but the paint will be similar to this job I did on my e46 wood trim
    2010-10-12 18.39.36.jpg

Yeah in my opinoin the aux input is the best and easiest way to go for anyone who plans on just running the stock speakers. As far as the paint goes, I plan on doing a black and silver marbleized job
    That's going to look very nice...Great choice!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

The marbelized look will hid a multitude of sins. As for glassing directly to the dash, might there be a crack over time from flexing and twisting plus expansion/contraction? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    The marbelized look will hid a multitude of sins. As for glassing directly to the dash, might there be a crack over time from flexing and twisting plus expansion/contraction? Just a thought.
    Good thought on the glassing.

Regarding the marble look, to each his own I guess...personally, I'd do it if I didn't have the wood trim!

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    By glassing directly to the dash, I mean molding up against the edge of the dash with out the top cover in place
    IMG_20130211_101541.jpg

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Oh.

Nevermind.

Cuest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance w/Red & Carbon Interior

when its all done, im open to doing this for anybody that is interested. I would need your center stack and whatever headunit you wanted to mount, for about ten days
    awesome!!!!

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

If the idea isn't too late, how about glassing to the edge of the original nav screen top cover. Then make a little compartment and attach it under the original nav screen top dash cover, and have it pop up for added storage for small stuff like change, sunglasses, etc. That way the original cover appears to have been designed to be there for a reason. If Cadillac had done a double din install, they wouldn't have the screen cover and the dash would have just been flat all the way across. The storage compartment gives the screen cover a "reason" to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by HurstGN View Post
    If the idea isn't too late, how about glassing to the edge of the original nav screen top cover. Then make a little compartment and attach it under the original nav screen top dash cover, and have it pop up for added storage for small stuff like change, sunglasses, etc. That way the original cover appears to have been designed to be there for a reason. If Cadillac had done a double din install, they wouldn't have the screen cover and the dash would have just been flat all the way across. The storage compartment gives the screen cover a "reason" to be there.
    I agree with you on the cover being in place with no reason to be there. I have considered adding a compartment to give the cover a purpose, but Im a little concerned about overheating. I want the HU to be able to breath as much as possible. Thats why I considered removing the cover all together, and just glassing along the edge of the dash, but at the same time I dont want the fiberglass to look over done. So what I think I'm going to do is just go ahead and glass along the Display cover, and see how the HU performs for a few months. Maybe I'm just being over cautious, but having a newborn baby riding in the backseat will do that to you

----------

I havent had a chance to get any work done on it the last couple of days, but hopefully I can make some progress tomorrow.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.