Misfire - Plugs or coil pack?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Misfire - Plugs or coil pack? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello all, Ever since I got my car with 5xk miles it has had a slight miss, but 3 different ...
    DaPurpleRT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4 (Quality & Reliability Nightmare)

Lightbulb Misfire - Plugs or coil pack?

Hello all,

Ever since I got my car with 5xk miles it has had a slight miss, but 3 different dealership visits told me there was no miss. I recently got a check engine light that required warranty replacement of the secondary water pump. I had just started getting the miss much more noticeably, and they assured me, somehow, this would fix the miss (still popping no codes for that). Well, picked it up, miss remains, took it back and they inform me though the car is giving ME no codes, it did show them it had a miss due to plugs needing replacing (now at 8xk miles). I went on home and a few days later and now I am getting a violent miss and finally popping a code on cylinder 6. It increases in severity with temperature. In the 30s it is really bad, 50s and 60s like we will have this week ease it greatly.

My question is, is there any way to deduce whether it is a coil pack or wires? If not, should I change plugs and hope or is it much easier to go ahead and replace packs while I'm at it and what is the cost? or maybe all plugs and just the coil pack on the cylinder in question?

Thanks in advance.

-Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Misfire - Plugs or coil pack?

Ryan, I realize you're looking for DIY advice from owners, but I wanted to let you know I'm available to work with your dealer towards a resolution at any point. I'm happy to contact them on your behalf and follow up for you, so please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance. I'm so sorry to hear about your continued frustration with this concern!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

beigecat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

I'm not sure of the set up but, The easiest way DaPurple is to switch coils. Numer 6 with the another coil. If the miss follows the coil, its the coil, if it stays on number 6 cyl it may be cracked plug, injector or mechanical, but not the coil.

Replacing the coils is expensive relative to taking out a pretty girl.

I would go with replacing the plugs, switching the coils and go from there. Its what I would do. GOOID LUCK!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by beigecat View Post
    I'm not sure of the set up but, The easiest way DaPurple is to switch coils. Numer 6 with the another coil. If the miss follows the coil, its the coil, if it stays on number 6 cyl it may be cracked plug, injector or mechanical, but not the coil.

Replacing the coils is expensive relative to taking out a pretty girl.

I would go with replacing the plugs, switching the coils and go from there. Its what I would do. GOOID LUCK!
    I'd take out the pretty girl!

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Like they said, first change all plugs, then move coils to different sides, see if the miss moves. If it does, then just a bad coil. IF it stays, then it may be an injector, swap the injectors around to the other side, if it still is there, it could be a valve spring, or valve, or bad wiring, or piston. Do a compression and leak down test on the cly, if it is still there,

wohpony is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

I just had this problem on my 2009 CTS DI AWD and it ended up being the plugs. The firing order is 1-3-5 on drivers side and 2-4-6 on the left. You can start by just reseting your codes, swaping coils and seeing if the miss moves. Just remove your oil cap and pop the engine cover off then pop the plastic covers on both sides off for more room. If you have any question or want some photos just let me know.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Funny because I am getting something similar. My car is missing or acting like its missing when under a load and light gas, like maintaining speed and going up a hill. I took it to the dealership and they said it's not throwing any codes. I guess it might be the plugs? It only has 55k on it and I know the plugs are supposed to be good to 100K

I read that on the DI engines you are lucky to get 50k out of the plugs. Mine had just under 70k.

A few pics would be great. I may tackle this this weekend since it is going to be near 80 out.

Thanks!

Heres a few photos with the engine cover removed and one of how to disconnect the coils. I removed the Sway brace for more room.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by wohpony View Post
    I read that on the DI engines you are lucky to get 50k out of the plugs. Mine had just under 70k.
    Where did you hear it? It is an interesting information but to believe it I woul dneed evidence. That said I had a coil going bad I think at 50k or something similar. Reading this board it would appear that many people had issues with either coils or plugs.....interesting.

Chris Pelkey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Blue Diamond 3.6L DI AWD

I've got 73,500 or so on mine (DI) with the original plugs. Had a coil replaced at 68,000. Gas mileage is about 18.5 around town and up to 23+ on trips. I'd also like to know if the DI's need the plugs changed sooner than 100k.

Oh also, it is one plug per cylinder.coil correct? And what's our gap?

Yes its one plug/coil per cylinder. I used Autolite Double Platinum plugs (P#APP5263) Gap @ .050 to replace the factory installed AC Delco Double Platinum plugs.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Quote Originally Posted by wohpony View Post
    I just had this problem on my 2009 CTS DI AWD and it ended up being the plugs. The firing order is 1-3-5 on drivers side and 2-4-6 on the left. You can start by just reseting your codes, swaping coils and seeing if the miss moves. Just remove your oil cap and pop the engine cover off then pop the plastic covers on both sides off for more room. If you have any question or want some photos just let me know.
    Correction, the cylinder layout is 2-4-6 on the driver side and 1-3-5 on the passenger side. Firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.