Misfire - Plugs or coil pack? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Misfire - Plugs or coil pack? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Thanks for h pics. How exactly oes that mechanism works that attaches he coil pack plug?...
    DaPurpleRT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4 (Quality & Reliability Nightmare)

Re: Misfire - Plugs or coil pack?

Thanks for h pics. How exactly oes that mechanism works that attaches he coil pack plug?

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Interesting - did not know that the plugs and coils were an issue... Question: Are the coils and plugs covered under the powertrain warranty?
    My guess is no, but I would rather ask...

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

I had two coils go out and they were covered under the powertrain warranty. The plugs were also changed as part of the repair.

I was told it wasn't covered and to Just change the plugs would run $300...

Quote Originally Posted by DaPurpleRT View Post
    Just change the plugs would run $300...
    Let me clarify: The coils are covered under the powertrain warranty but plugs are considered a wear item. My dealer changed ONLY the two plugs under the coils that went bad as coil failure will cause the plugs to carbon up.

They told me nothing was covered. I'll try again if it turns out to be the coil pack.

On that note, how does the darn coil pack connector disconnect?

Look at Wohpony's first picture on the previous page to see the coil connector clip that is open. The clip gets pulled sideways so you can remove the connector from the coil pack.

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )

Quick question, on this car ( 2008+ ) do you have to remove and replace the huge gasket for the intake??

Merge is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ★ 2009 CTS⁴ Black Raven|Ebony ★

This happens to me too.
    Took it into the dealer a while back; they said they fixed it by reprogramming.
    Every time I hear that I laugh.... Still does the same thing.
    Looks like a DYI project for summer.

I just might change everything. Was it easy to change all plugs + coils? Accessible?
    Can anyone recommend better coils + plugs.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by DaPurpleRT View Post
    They told me nothing was covered. I'll try again if it turns out to be the coil pack.

On that note, how does the darn coil pack connector disconnect?
    Same here. The coil was not covered under warranty. It cost me apprx. $230 to replace coil and spark plug.

ehindman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4 3.6 DI

I have had many vehicles and have been driving for 35 years and have never had a coil go out until I bought my 2008 CTS4. At 66k my car started running like crap and had a hard time going up hills. It was jerking and you could hear a muffled backfire. Dealer found the number 4 coil had gone out. replaced it and ran like new again. The check engine light never came on. Now at 146k I strarted noticing lower gas economy then a very slight jerking on acceleration mostly when it was cold. this progressed but not as severe as before. Took it to the dealer again and yep, coil but this time the computer wouldn't pick it up and the cars ECM showed no codes. I had to drive the Tech around with his computer hooked up until the jerking started and then he saw misfires on 3 and 6. after further diagnostic it was the coils. Changed them out and runs like new again. So it appears a coil can go completely out like my 1st one and easily be detected or they can go partially out and be harder to detect but eat away at your fuel economy and gradually get worse so you know you have to take it in. The dealer suggested I replace all of the coils. They charge 400.00 per coil to install stating the intake manafold has to be removed to get to the coils. I think its rediculous that these coils malfunction like this. The picture I attached is one of the coils I had replaced today. You can see rust or dirt on the rubber seal that fits into the chamber so it looks like moisture gets past this seal and could be shorting them out.Coil 1024 768.jpg

To the guys who have changed the plugs, did the geniuses at GM torque these plugs down to 100lbs or something? I just tried to get on with a 3/8 ratchet and I applied double the force I've EVER applied trying to loosen a plug and stopped for dear of breaking something because NO plug should ever be that tight!

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Remember, when replacing plugs always use anti-seize, just for that reason.

leigh1322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6 D.I. FE-3 6M Red
    I have had three coils go bad and the symptoms were always progressively the same. Weak power at 2500, some hesitation, then finally starts to miss at 70 cruise with light throttle. Finally gets almost constant. Doesn't set check engine light until it misfires badly and like three times in a row.
    Note that my coils were damaged by a disconnected vacuum hose - air leak. After that was fixed it still took last 2 coils another 6 months to fail.
    Runs like a new car with all good coils!

----------

So for a long time I had no codes and it still ran badly.....

dwhite73 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have 185,500 on my CTS and it is doing the same thing, no codes at dealership. They were able to get one cylinder to misfire, I was close to a tune up so I had them replace all the coils and plugs and I am still having the same misfire under acceleration. Mainly after the motor has been running for awhile. Not sure what my next step is to do, the dealership doesn't seem to know what to do either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.