2012 luxury cars sales
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2012 luxury cars sales in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

2012 luxury cars sales

Total sales of luxury cars for 2012 are out. Surprises” Big gains for Acura and Lexus – 26.7%

Negative one? Cadillac sales down by 2%. Then again it should not be such a surprise given that the only real car was the aging CTS and new ATS was just released.

Cadillac, you better watch as Audit is going to get you for the 5th spot.

1) BMW - 281,460, +13.5 percent (new record)
    2) Mercedes-Benz - 274,134, +11.8 percent (new record)
    3) Lexus - 244,166, +26.7 percent
    4) Acura - 156,216, +26.7 percent
    5) Cadillac - 149,782, -2 percent
    6) Audi - 139,310, +18.5 percent (new record)
    7) Infiniti - 119,877, +21.8
    8) Lincoln - 82,150, -4 percent
    9) Volvo - 68,117, +1 percent
    10) Land Rover - 43,664, +15 percent

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Re: 2012 luxury cars sales

Acura and Lexus' numbers are artificially high because in 2011 they were dealing with Tsunami-related inventory shortages and sales were low that year. So it's not hard to show gains over an abnormally low year.

Lexus has the potential to continue momentum with its recent refreshed products. I've seen numerous new Lexus GS and ES (which is hideous) models on the streets here. On the other hand, Acura don't got much. The ILX is a dog (getting its ass kicked nicely each month by Buick Verano). Rumor has it that TSX will be discontinued, and ILX will likely not make up for the lost volume.

Audi's gain is impressive, and they do make nice looking cars. If they've managed to improve reliability, they should continue to grow, and I think the upcoming A3 sedan will be a smash hit for them.

Cadillac wasn't down too bad considering they lost DTS in 2012, which gave the brand significant volume. ATS and XTS are really just starting to get traction (I saw 5 ATS's on the streets of Hollywood on New Years Day -- I consider this a good sign). SRX continues to sell very well -- they were wise to give it such an extensive update this year. They should get a boost this year from ELR and new CTS, and new Escalade is in the pipeline as well. 2013 should be a good year for Cadillac. Hopefully.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

We will see if BMW stacked the deck again like they did before. While I doubt they did "cheat" again, once bitten twice shy, babe.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakingThrough
    Acura and Lexus' numbers are artificially high because in 2011 they were dealing with Tsunami-related inventory shortages and sales were low that year. So it's not hard to show gains over an abnormally low year.

Lexus has the potential to continue momentum with its recent refreshed products. I've seen numerous new Lexus GS and ES (which is hideous) models on the streets here. On the other hand, Acura don't got much. The ILX is a dog (getting its ass kicked nicely each month by Buick Verano). Rumor has it that TSX will be discontinued, and ILX will likely not make up for the lost volume.

Audi's gain is impressive, and they do make nice looking cars. If they've managed to improve reliability, they should continue to grow, and I think the upcoming A3 sedan will be a smash hit for them.

Cadillac wasn't down too bad considering they lost DTS in 2012, which gave the brand significant volume. ATS and XTS are really just starting to get traction (I saw 5 ATS's on the streets of Hollywood on New Years Day -- I consider this a good sign). SRX continues to sell very well -- they were wise to give it such an extensive update this year. They should get a boost this year from ELR and new CTS, and new Escalade is in the pipeline as well. 2013 should be a good year for Cadillac. Hopefully.
    I agree with your comment specifically regarding Acura, especially after. Having just come from the brand. The ILX reviews have been less than glowing. The TL which was it's volume leader with it's 3rd generation, suffered from a styling perspective with the 4th (current) gen with the hideous beak. They did do a mid model update and softened the black a bit, but someone needs to clean house at Acura's design studios. They make some tremendously reliable and feature laden cars, but the are ugly. Acura's other problem is their refusal to create a RWD based platform, choosing instead to stay with FWD based platforms and augmenting with SH-AWD.

The RLX, the upcoming replacement to the RL, will be loaded with tech, but it's styling is ho-hum (from my perspective). It also will be a FWD based car that they are trying to put against the 5 series and E-class. No matter what technology they put in (PAWS or SH-AWD) to neutralize the FWD characteristics, very few people seriously considering a 5 series or E class will cross shop that car. The brand conscious will stick with the Germans. Those who value want a true RWD car won't even look at it, so Acura will once again cater to those looking for value. Basically getting a car that if contented similarly from BMW or MB would cost $15K -$20K more.

The New MDX is coming out soon and that will be a volume seller like the previous generations were.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    We will see if BMW stacked the deck again like they did before. While I doubt they did "cheat" again, once bitten twice shy, babe.
    I believe their numbers include Mini...

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Really? As Ed McMahon said, "I did not know that"!

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

#1 is "BMW" brand passenger cars and light trucks only.
    "Mini" brand sales are reported separately.

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=1469&mid=1

Blue CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe '14

How to find out how many Coupes were produced in '12?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.