ATS Backup Cam in CTS Coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, ATS Backup Cam in CTS Coupe in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Newb here again... With another silly question but one that I'd like to ask the Caddy Community... I have a ...
    andynice20 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

ATS Backup Cam in CTS Coupe

Newb here again... With another silly question but one that I'd like to ask the Caddy Community...

I have a 2013 ATS as my loaner while the dealer is finishing up a couple of details on my new (to me) 2011 CTS coupe. The backup cam in the ATS is friggin awesome as the grid lines sway side to side when turning the steering wheel, basically letting you know where you're tracking while in reverse.

BC1.jpeg
    BC2.jpeg
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    We have that in our BMW X5. In addition it highlights potential obstacles in yellow as you begin to approach them and then in red. The X5 also has cameras in the bottom of the side view mirrors. Those cameras along with the backup camera and front/rear radar sensors allows you to switch to a bird's eye view. This view let's you be able to see all around the vehicle as if you were above looking down at the car. Comes in handy when parallel parking to see how close you are to the curb.

cawengr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual

Re: ATS Backup Cam in CTS Coupe

I have the 2011 Performance Coupe without NAV and the rear view mirror displays the backup camera input. It shows the lines and they move with the steering wheel and it also displays distance.

Cuest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance w/Red & Carbon Interior

Quote Originally Posted by cawengr View Post
    I have the 2011 Performance Coupe without NAV and the rear view mirror displays the backup camera input. It shows the lines and they move with the steering wheel and it also displays distance.
    Same here.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    The non-nav models where the backup camera displays in the RVM has the grid lines. In the nav models do not. Cadillac must have figured at the time that the grid lines weren't necessary if you had the larger screen.

Bonnell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS

In December I purchased a 2011 CTS. It has the nav system and I really enjoy it. I was having the polymar coating put on it so I had another CTS as a loaner. The loaner did not have nav but it had the backup cam in the mirror with the lines drawn in as described above. I really like that and I wish my CTS had the backup camera. I found the CTS rearview mirror with the camera for $972 but then it would need to be installed. I'm not sure I like it that much.

The loaner also had some lighting that mine does not have. I liked the LED lights in the door handles. That is another feature that I wish I had.

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

I ask about upgrading the CTS rear camera to a better rez one awhile back but no one was able to help so good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cawengr View Post
    Ahh...
    Sooooo... Lets say someone was planning an insane DD head unit retrofit into the dash... And let's say that someone wants this cam integrated and shown on that screen. Would that supposed someone just need the OEM cam to achieve this theoretical goal?

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by andynice20
    Ahh...
    Sooooo... Lets say someone was planning an insane DD head unit retrofit into the dash... And let's say that someone wants this cam integrated and shown on that screen. Would that supposed someone just need the OEM cam to achieve this theoretical goal?
    Theoretically yeah. If you are going to do what I think you are, most new aftermarket units have an RCA connection for the backup camera input. Even if the oem cam doesn't have the RCA at the end I'm sure you can figure out what cable is the power, trigger, and signal. Then attach as needed. That should be simple compared to what your planing with the DD.

By the way, I would love to see photos if you start and finish this.

Pics would definitely be forthcoming. There's a high end custom sound shop near me and I'm going to get pricing today. As long as we're not talking about something I'd have to take a loan out of my 401k for I don't see any reason to not do it...

----------

Incidentally, would anyone have the part number for the camera in question?

X E Ryder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring

Cool Does This Help?

Here is a nice snap in camera / license plate light claiming to fit the CTS -Does that help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Reverse-...item4abb743963

mqOdvKi84dQwi3T8WioEH_A.jpg

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I wonder how you could make this camera work with the RVM.

So the OEM Backup Cam (22737873) price I got from the dealer for $168.98 is a bit exorbitant? It'd be nice to keep it OEM, but since I'm ripping apart the dash I guess it really doesn't matter

----------

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I wonder how you could make this camera work with the RVM.
    I'm looking at customizing the dash to accept a DD head unit with Nav, Bluet, etc. It would connect there instead of the mirror.

leigh1322 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6 D.I. FE-3 6M Red
    I would expect that to be almost impossible on an 08+ CTS. As all the climate control buttons, radio and NAV are integrated together into a one piece 1/2 inch thick button panel. All the mechanical dvd parts and all the software controls are built into one GM silverbox unit buried deep in the dash. Its about 3x6x6 inches in size. Right behind the dvd slot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.