Oil Consumption
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I was reading a bunch of TSBs today and came across one that mentions a redesigned driver side valve cover ...
    Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD

Oil Consumption

I was reading a bunch of TSBs today and came across one that mentions a redesigned driver side valve cover with an improved baffle. Anyone else seen this or had it done at the dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Re: Oil Consumption

Michael_atDell, sorry, I canít help.

An excerpt/copy of the TSB and/or the document number would be greatly appreciated, as my í08 3.6L DI (<40Kmi) is now undergoing test for excessive oil consumption. Anyone?

Thanks.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

I thought I read somewhere where the baffle was added to more recent models.

----------

Check out this that I saw on an episode of Motorweek. I wonder if this is the baffle you are referencing.

I am trying to find the video as he showed the inside of a valve cover and you could see the baffle.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...e/funnel_facts

But here’s something, now this could save you some money on a lot of cars – just a simple paper funnel; now, what am I talking about here? Well, inside many valve covers, if we try to use any kind of a conventional funnel – put it in, it doesn’t go any place. There is actually, in this valve cover, a piece of tin down there; now that tin is a baffle, and if we look at the back side of it, we see that it covers the whole inside of the valve cover. And what it does, is it prevents the crank case breather system – you call it a PCV. It prevents that from sucking oil out of the engine and burning it. Well, if you damage that, you’ll end up with a car that burns oil. So, you want to make sure that you’re very very careful to never damage the baffle if your car has it. So, the proper funnel makes all the difference. And if you have a question or comment, drop me a line, right here at MotorWeek.

gohawks63, thanks!!! It's all news to me, now the TSB would be icing on the cake.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I thought I read somewhere where the baffle was added to more recent models.

----------

Check out this that I saw on an episode of Motorweek. I wonder if this is the baffle you are referencing.

I am trying to find the video as he showed the inside of a valve cover and you could see the baffle.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...e/funnel_facts

But here’s something, now this could save you some money on a lot of cars – just a simple paper funnel; now, what am I talking about here? Well, inside many valve covers, if we try to use any kind of a conventional funnel – put it in, it doesn’t go any place. There is actually, in this valve cover, a piece of tin down there; now that tin is a baffle, and if we look at the back side of it, we see that it covers the whole inside of the valve cover. And what it does, is it prevents the crank case breather system – you call it a PCV. It prevents that from sucking oil out of the engine and burning it. Well, if you damage that, you’ll end up with a car that burns oil. So, you want to make sure that you’re very very careful to never damage the baffle if your car has it. So, the proper funnel makes all the difference. And if you have a question or comment, drop me a line, right here at MotorWeek.

Here is the video. The start of the piece begins at 12:38 and the part about the baffle starts at 14:20.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2314574033

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    PIP4492S, but it only mentions the CTS-V. Exact same problem I'm having, hoping there is an updated valve cover baffle that will fix the problem...

Chris Pelkey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Blue Diamond 3.6L DI AWD

Where are you getting the TSB's from? Thanks.

kennyrich is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I have not heard of any new valve cover replacement. Currently in the process of an oil consumption test at the dealership. To date they have changed out a
    redesigned valve cover gasket and performed a de-carbonization of the engine. Basically, the gasket has an area with three ported holes. I was told that this is
    the initial fix recommended by GM. If this does not resolve the issue then the rings need to be replaced. My vehicle is a 08 CTS with 42,000 miles. The consumption rate is a little over a quart ever 2,000 miles.

kennyrich,

If your CTS requires new piston rings, will the cost be paid by original 5yr/100Kmi powertrain warranty, CPO, GMPP etc, or out-of-pocket?

Thanks.

928S,

It will be covered under the 5yr/100K mi powertrain warranty being that the consumption test was started prior to the 5yr expiration. On a side note, what was frustrating in my situation was that there was minimal (1-2 oz) oil consumption on the first 1,000 miles check. It was the subsequent checks that the oil consumption increased. to about a little over a quart every 2000 miles. I realize that this is slightly over GM's spec. but it's the principle of the issue now. I have never owned a vehicle that consumed oil @ 40,000 miles like my CTS.

The CTS with a new valve gasket is at 960 miles and it appears to have consumed 1-2 oz. It will go to the dealership tomorrow for documentation purposes for the 1,000 mi check. I am hopeful that on subsequent checks it's only consuming a couple of oz's. Will post an update.

Hi kennyrich,

Thanks for the update, hope your fix is good.

Since my last post to this thread on Jan 31, my 3.6L DI engine has been rebuilt. After confirming oil consumption of 1 qt. in 1.7Kmi., my dealer was reluctant but eventually agreed to rebuild the engine at 39Kmi. - complete disassembly, remove heavy carbon buildup, install new piston rings, bearings, gaskets, seals, etc. Dealer had car for 10 days, logged 100 miles after the rebuild, debugged various engine codes, and installed new timing chain tensioners too.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrich View Post
    928S,

On a side note, what was frustrating in my situation was that there was minimal (1-2 oz) oil consumption on the first 1,000 miles check. It was the subsequent checks that the oil consumption increased. to about a little over a quart every 2000 miles. I realize that this is slightly over GM's spec. but it's the principle of the issue now. I have never owned a vehicle that consumed oil @ 40,000 miles like my CTS.
    My experience was similar to yours. Nothing in the first 1Kmi., then abrupt excessive oil consumption in the next 1Kmi. In my case, cheap bulk synthetic used for dealer oil change service might have played a role, dunno. I, too, never before owned a vehicle that consumed oil like my CTS. Now, with only a few hundred miles on rebuilt engine, itís too early to tell.

Re warranty coverage and payment. My oil consumption test began at 36.2Kmi. and 4 months of powertrain warranty remaining, so no doubt about coverage. Oh, but wait! My dealer informed. me that GM reneged because internal TSB Oil Consumption Guidelines only cover vehicles with less than 36Kmi., in spite of 5yr/100Kmi warranty, and therefore my GMPP service contract with $200 deductible would have to pay. In other words, somebody at GM and/or my dealer decided to screw me in order to save GM a >$4500 warranty expense. Yes, itís the principle of the issue, indeed.

So, my advice to all is do not delay documenting and securing firm commitment from your GM/Cadillac dealer regarding warranty coverage and payment for any near-end-of-warranty repair(s) to which you might be entitled.

Hi 928S,

To date I really can not complain about how the dealership has handle the situation. I have been dealing with the manager of the service department and he had initially contacted GM for approval to rebuild the engine, but was told to change out the valve cover gasket and a de-carboniztion of the engine first. According to the mechanic they have seen a 40-60% reduction in oil consumption with this fix. My comment to the manager was so if it gets below the 1 qt. per 2000 mi, GM basically claims it's within spec and washes their hands of the issue. He said that the dealership and GM want to make their
    customers happy and he has seen them approve the rebuilt. I guess in time I will see if the "squeaky wheel gets the oil". The mechanic did say that the rebuilt fixes the oil consumption issue and has not had any complaints from owners after this is performed. Hopefully your story has a happy ending!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrich View Post
    928S,

It will be covered under the 5yr/100K mi powertrain warranty being that the consumption test was started prior to the 5yr expiration. On a side note, what was frustrating in my situation was that there was minimal (1-2 oz) oil consumption on the first 1,000 miles check. It was the subsequent checks that the oil consumption increased. to about a little over a quart every 2000 miles. I realize that this is slightly over GM's spec. but it's the principle of the issue now. I have never owned a vehicle that consumed oil @ 40,000 miles like my CTS.

The CTS with a new valve gasket is at 960 miles and it appears to have consumed 1-2 oz. It will go to the dealership tomorrow for documentation purposes for the 1,000 mi check. I am hopeful that on subsequent checks it's only consuming a couple of oz's. Will post an update.
    kennyrich,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis (assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Unless you stop the oil ingestion the odds are within a few thousand miles the same deposits and residue will cause ring sticking and the same will happen again. The price of a RX catchcan is less than one upper induction cleaning, and after that you should not have the issue .

If installed when the car is new the deposits dont form and the issue is only a piston ring seating issue if there is consumption.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

next2pool is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Frankly I would rather accept the oil consumption (which doesn't all that excessive) rather than have a dealer rebuild my engine. The thought of a dealer replacing rings and honing bores is far more risky than moderate oil consumption. Very few if any dealers can do that type of work.
    99flhr and 99flhr like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.