Oil Consumption - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Oil Consumption in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by next2pool Frankly I would rather accept the oil consumption (which doesn't all that excessive) rather than have ...
    928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Re: Oil Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    Frankly I would rather accept the oil consumption (which doesn't all that excessive) rather than have a dealer rebuild my engine. The thought of a dealer replacing rings and honing bores is far more risky than moderate oil consumption. Very few if any dealers can do that type of work.
    99flhr likes this.
    Well, speaking strictly for myself...huh? We're talkin 'bout the GM 3.6L engine. My high-volume Cadillac dealer rebuilds these engines on a regular basis. While working on my CTS, a SRX was also being rebuilt in the adjacent bay. If this warranty repair faiis, then a new engine will follow.

If you guys seriously think adding 3 or more quarts between oil changes is "not all that excessive," then you are truly GM/Cadillac's ideal customers. Personally, I would not continue to drive such a POS.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

The purpose of oil is to lubricate. Although 2000 miles per quart is marginal it is not outrageous. Some manufacturers will not address this issue unless consumption is worse than 1000 mpq. As far as the ability of a dealer to personally rebuild an engine, that varies greatly from dealer to dealer but overall not a good thing. Replacing an engine with a rebuilt unit is a lot different than rebuilding it at the dealer. This requires a clean room atmosphere as well as special tools. I would never tolerate it myself.
    99flhr and 99flhr like this.

The purpose of oil is to lubricate.
    No comment .

Although 2000 miles per quart is marginal it is not outrageous. Some manufacturers will not address this issue unless consumption is worse than 1000 mpq.
    On this forum we’re talking about GM/Cadillac engines and warranties; in my case, GMPP too. According to GM’s official TSB, confirmed by Cadillac Customer Service, 0 to 1 qt in 2Kmi is acceptable (normal, non-excessive) and, thus, by defininition, under normal driving conditions, greater than 1 qt in 2Kmi is unacceptable (abnormal, excessive) and warrants corrective action. So a hypothetical lower oil consumption standard by an anonymous other manufacturer is irrelevant here.

As far as the ability of a dealer to personally rebuild an engine, that varies greatly from dealer to dealer but overall not a good thing. Replacing an engine with a rebuilt unit is a lot different than rebuilding it at the dealer. This requires a clean room atmosphere as well as special tools. I would never tolerate it myself.
    Well, hopefully, my dealer provided, as promised, a clean work area, clean parts, clean tools, and a qualified experienced mechanic for the engine rebuild. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, dealer and warranty stand behind parts and labor. It’s a far better bet than driving around with jug of oil in tow, anxiously incessantly checking the dipstick, adding 3 or more quarts between each and every oil change (or before the tow truck arrives in order to not invalidate remaining warranty) for the next x number of years.

All considered, I don't know why anyone would tolerate driving an oil-burning "Cadillac" junker.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Well I installed a catch can on my '12 coupe last night, so hopefully this is a moot point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 928S View Post
    No comment .

On this forum we’re talking about GM/Cadillac engines and warranties; in my case, GMPP too. According to GM’s official TSB, confirmed by Cadillac Customer Service, 0 to 1 qt in 2Kmi is acceptable (normal, non-excessive) and, thus, by defininition, under normal driving conditions, greater than 1 qt in 2Kmi is unacceptable (abnormal, excessive) and warrants corrective action. So a hypothetical lower oil consumption standard by an anonymous other manufacturer is irrelevant here.

Well, hopefully, my dealer provided, as promised, a clean work area, clean parts, clean tools, and a qualified experienced mechanic for the engine rebuild. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, dealer and warranty stand behind parts and labor. It’s a far better bet than driving around with jug of oil in tow, anxiously incessantly checking the dipstick, adding 3 or more quarts between each and every oil change (or before the tow truck arrives in order to not invalidate remaining warranty) for the next x number of years.

All considered, I don't know why anyone would tolerate driving an oil-burning "Cadillac" junker.
    You will always be correct and be able to twist reality accordingly. Enjoy

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by 928S

Well, speaking strictly for myself...huh? We're talkin 'bout the GM 3.6L engine. My high-volume Cadillac dealer rebuilds these engines on a regular basis. While working on my CTS, a SRX was also being rebuilt in the adjacent bay. If this warranty repair faiis, then a new engine will follow.

If you guys seriously think adding 3 or more quarts between oil changes is "not all that excessive," then you are truly GM/Cadillac's ideal customers. Personally, I would not continue to drive such a POS.
    How many miles are you doing between changes? 3k miles.? Excessive. 10 k miles like I do on my Chevy? Then 3 qt is as good or better than any vehicle I have had out of 5 manufacturers. The least oil use I had was. 77 Chevy c20. Most is likely my '93 Ranger. None were more than 1 qt per 1k miles, all were more than 1 qt per 3 k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    How many miles are you doing between changes? 3k miles.? Excessive. 10 k miles like I do on my Chevy? Then 3 qt is as good or better than any vehicle I have had out of 5 manufacturers. The least oil use I had was. 77 Chevy c20. Most is likely my '93 Ranger. None were more than 1 qt per 1k miles, all were more than 1 qt per 3 k miles.
    That's a very good point. The industry has moved from a 3000 mile oil change interval to more like 7500 miles. In fact most oil life monitors will allow up to 12000 miles. That's the hard and practical side of the story. Many people feel that is abusive and frankly it's great that so many people love and cradle their machines. However, when it comes right down to harsh engineering terms, 2000 mpq is not great but not horrible. 12000 mile oil changes may be OK depending on how the computer maps your driving cycle. In many cases the "feel good" stuff is just that and may be a huge detriment to the environment if you care about that kind of stuff. If my car runs like a raped ape, doesn't smoke. and doesn't make bad noises, why not enjoy life and give up an occasional drink for a quart of oil.

You will always be correct and be able to twist reality accordingly. Enjoy
    That’s funny. I thought you were blowing smoke while I was talking firsthand re my CTS, my Cadillac dealer, GM Oil Consumption Guidelines/TSB, GM/GMPP warranty repair. Anyway, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    How many miles are you doing between changes?
    Pre engine rebuild, my CTS was twice tested and consumed 1 qt in 1.5Kmi to 1.7Kmi or 3+ qts between oil changes at 5.3Kmi longest interval.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Frankly I would rather accept the oil consumption (which doesn't all that excessive) rather than have a dealer rebuild my engine. The thought of a dealer replacing rings and honing bores is far more risky than moderate oil consumption. Very few if any dealers can do that type of work.
    Your position would seem to be supported by Tinman`s recent transmission fiasco,

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Dealer TSB's do NOT allow the techs to hone now, only replace rings and reinstall. To many were honing excessively so I would be more comfortable with a replacement engine for sure.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

kennyrich is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

Update:

The updated valve cover gasket did improve the oil consumption somewhat. It brought it within GM specs, consuming about 26 oz every 2000 miles. Still with the car only having 45,000 miles this was unacceptable to me. The gasket update was merely a quick fix and felt that the oil consumption would eventually worsen over time. The dealership agreed to replace the piston rings, timing chain, and seals. The service advisor told me that they have done quite a few of these and it fixes the consumption issues. He said that they average around two every couple of weeks on the 2007 and 2008 models and they are out of warranty and the customer pays the bill. I picked up the car today hopeful this is the fix!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.