2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by tinman B.S. You are employed by a company that is employed by Cadillac, just like myself and ...
    jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post

B.S. You are employed by a company that is employed by Cadillac, just like myself and the rest of us who actually post good things about our cars.
    Lol...good one!

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    You will get worse gas mileage on premium. It has a lower detonation temperature. Terrible waste of money unless you do a tune requiring premium.
    I think you have it backwards. The Higher the Octane, the more resistant it is to detonation.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Resistant = slower, you're right, Sal33n

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    You will get worse gas mileage on premium. It has a lower detonation temperature. Terrible waste of money unless you do a tune requiring premium.

Now if you need premium to avoid detonation with a tune or forced induction upgrade that would make sense but in a a FI car designed for regular higher octane gas will lower gas mileage and power.

----------

4200 lb car, AWD and a very high drag coefficient. 20 mpg is pretty reasonable. I have seen 24 once. Mainly 20-21. 11 if I drive it hard, or high teens with typical American "highways" driving. Why would would think anything other ? My golf which weighs 2k lb has a better cd, and 130 hp gets 30. Sure as hell not goi g to be close with a car twice as big.

How the interweb becomes great source of bad and misleading information.

Higher octane gas has a higher detonation temperature, which is why it's used with higher compression engines to avoid pre-ignition, or exploding too fast in the combustion chamber.

D'uh!

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Sorry, misspoke. Yes, it has a higher ignition temperature leading towards less detonation. Less power, less mileage, if you aren't tuned and have the compression for it.

Still the same point. Don't run premium if you don't need it.

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

18.7 mile per gallon over 44k miles where we never reset the mpg ......driven around town by my wife.

2008 cts 3.6 direct injection AWD fe2

Been utterly reliable and a beautiful car.

Nth

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Bottom line: CTS Coupe was NEVER advertised to be an economy based car. It's more of a sports car version of the standard CTS. 20 MPH or a little less is actually pretty good for a car in this size range and Engine. sheeeesh!
    MotownPimp likes this.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I obviously didn't purchase based of fuel mileage. This is my fourth CTS and I get what I get. I can't remember ever buying a car since they began rating them, that has actually gotten the advertised gas mileage. I don't think the standard for testing set by the EPA are the problem. I don't think they are real world realistic. This leads buyers left to question whether it's just their car or all of them. I agree with some of the posters who diligently check their mileage that the numbers are low by any standard. I don't think any two cars are the same just like no two drivers the same, combine this with unrealistic expectations based on government numbers equals a lot of heartburn. Just my $0.02 worth.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3
    Bottom line: CTS Coupe was NEVER advertised to be an economy based car. It's more of a sports car version of the standard CTS. 20 MPH or a little less is actually pretty good for a car in this size range and Engine. sheeeesh!
    I agree. My OnStar app has said I have a lifetime average of 21 mpg over 16,000 miles.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I agree. My OnStar app has said I have a lifetime average of 21 mpg over 16,000 miles.
    That's not too bad my friend. I think most people would be happy with an average above 20 MPG.

Beams27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Coupe 3.6

So 12k miles later and still 15 mpgs. My dealer said they are seeing on avg between 13-16 mpgs on these cars which is ridiculous.

CTSPiper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 3.6L AWD Sportwagon

I'd like to chime in here having read a lot of the excellent comments. I selected my 2010 CTS4 3.6L premium wagon to replace my well-cared for, new-looking, but aging 2000 Audi A4 Quattro (AWD) Wagon. Its 2.8 liter V6 engine made only 190 hp on premium octane fuel. I wanted another luxury, sporty-handling wagon that was NOT German. I got acquainted with my CTS4 wagon driving home to SoCA from Texas via Santa Fe, NM. The CTS4 had 38K miles on the engine and returned 25.3 mpg with cruise control set to 73 mph and the air-conditioning on. I see an average of 15 mpg here in the city/ freeway driving. This generation CTS was designed to be a serious performer and could easily drive it harder.

I expected the CTS NOT to be an economy car. I changed the wheel/ tires from 245/40R20s back to stock 235/50R18s. I accelerate firmly and brake moderately. As a helicopter pilot, I was trained to do everything smoothly. CA gasoline has ethanol (proven to not reduce greenhouse gases AND decreases mpg due to lower energy content, but still politically added to gasoline...$$$). Mobil 1 synthetic has been the factory-specified oil for my CTS. The oil is Soooo good, that using Mobil 1 in my two Audi A4s, mpg actually got better when the engines finally "broke-in" at 87,000 miles or so. I kept meticulous fuel usage records. I figure the CTS engine will do the same.

At 47K miles, my CTS4 (heavier than my Audi A4) gets essentially the same mileage as the Audi did and now uses regular octane (still has ethanol). Also delivers more smiles/ gallon with the extra hp.
    tinman, calif phil and Dave295 like this.

sliderule01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

I have a 2010 Wagon AWD. I have a heavy foot. The gas mileage has increased gradually over the life of the car. I now have 70K miles on mine and on the highway get consistently 26-28 mpg. Actual measurements not the DIC. Stop and go is terrible, but typical for AWD. By comparison, a Subaru outback gets similar poor mileage in town. In town stop and go I get 14-16, with a typical range of 350 miles. On the highway at 73-75 with cruise I get 26-28 depending on terrain.

fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Beams27 View Post
    So 12k miles later and still 15 mpgs. My dealer said they are seeing on avg between 13-16 mpgs on these cars which is ridiculous.
    I have an AWD 2010 sedan 3.6L DI and doing 50% highway and 50% mild "city" driving, and in the summer I get about 20mpg if I drive fast and pass everyone in front of me, or at least 22 and anywhere up to 25mpg if I slow down and avoid breaking and hard acceleration (thus driving more fuel efficiently). It doesn't seem to matter much if I use cruise control or not.

In the winter I get 18-20mpg regardless of how I'm driving. As the DI engine seems to not like the cold much, my winter mileage seems to be determined more by the number of cold starts rather than if it's city or highway (but I tend to drive slower when there's snow and ice on the road too).

I hear if I get gas that has no ethanol, it would be even better but the only gas I know of without ethanol is really out of the way for me.

I got mine with 34k and it now has 44k, so hopefully it gets better but I'm going to have to call your dealer out on saying 13-16 is normal. In order to get 16 or less I would have to turn it on and let it run, sitting there with the AC cranking for a while to burn gas and not add miles and doing 100% city driving and randomly braking/accelerating for no reason just to burn extra gas... I also live where there are many hills, which isn't helpful for mileage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.