2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by tinman B.S. You are employed by a company that is employed by Cadillac, just like myself and ...
    jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post

B.S. You are employed by a company that is employed by Cadillac, just like myself and the rest of us who actually post good things about our cars.
    Lol...good one!

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    You will get worse gas mileage on premium. It has a lower detonation temperature. Terrible waste of money unless you do a tune requiring premium.
    I think you have it backwards. The Higher the Octane, the more resistant it is to detonation.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Resistant = slower, you're right, Sal33n

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    You will get worse gas mileage on premium. It has a lower detonation temperature. Terrible waste of money unless you do a tune requiring premium.

Now if you need premium to avoid detonation with a tune or forced induction upgrade that would make sense but in a a FI car designed for regular higher octane gas will lower gas mileage and power.

----------

4200 lb car, AWD and a very high drag coefficient. 20 mpg is pretty reasonable. I have seen 24 once. Mainly 20-21. 11 if I drive it hard, or high teens with typical American "highways" driving. Why would would think anything other ? My golf which weighs 2k lb has a better cd, and 130 hp gets 30. Sure as hell not goi g to be close with a car twice as big.

How the interweb becomes great source of bad and misleading information.

Higher octane gas has a higher detonation temperature, which is why it's used with higher compression engines to avoid pre-ignition, or exploding too fast in the combustion chamber.

D'uh!

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Sorry, misspoke. Yes, it has a higher ignition temperature leading towards less detonation. Less power, less mileage, if you aren't tuned and have the compression for it.

Still the same point. Don't run premium if you don't need it.

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

18.7 mile per gallon over 44k miles where we never reset the mpg ......driven around town by my wife.

2008 cts 3.6 direct injection AWD fe2

Been utterly reliable and a beautiful car.

Nth

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Bottom line: CTS Coupe was NEVER advertised to be an economy based car. It's more of a sports car version of the standard CTS. 20 MPH or a little less is actually pretty good for a car in this size range and Engine. sheeeesh!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I obviously didn't purchase based of fuel mileage. This is my fourth CTS and I get what I get. I can't remember ever buying a car since they began rating them, that has actually gotten the advertised gas mileage. I don't think the standard for testing set by the EPA are the problem. I don't think they are real world realistic. This leads buyers left to question whether it's just their car or all of them. I agree with some of the posters who diligently check their mileage that the numbers are low by any standard. I don't think any two cars are the same just like no two drivers the same, combine this with unrealistic expectations based on government numbers equals a lot of heartburn. Just my $0.02 worth.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3
    Bottom line: CTS Coupe was NEVER advertised to be an economy based car. It's more of a sports car version of the standard CTS. 20 MPH or a little less is actually pretty good for a car in this size range and Engine. sheeeesh!
    I agree. My OnStar app has said I have a lifetime average of 21 mpg over 16,000 miles.

EVH5150 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe Premium: RWD, FE3 Suspension, 6-speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I agree. My OnStar app has said I have a lifetime average of 21 mpg over 16,000 miles.
    That's not too bad my friend. I think most people would be happy with an average above 20 MPG.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.