2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by Goodtimo No way my car should get the same mileage as our f250 with a 460 gasser ...
    Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Goodtimo View Post
    No way my car should get the same mileage as our f250 with a 460 gasser in it.

?
    I cant imagine you are getting anywhere close to where a 460 in a F250 gets. I have yet to see an EFI 460 get above 12 mpg, and around town 8-10 is reasonable. Much lower for the older carb models and they didnt have 460s in the late 60s prior to emissions. What year F-250? Auto or? To put that in perspective, on the same drive I get 11-13 on my 8.1 L 2500 and 20-24 on the CTS AWD Coupe. When i am geting 11 in the CTS, I would be getting 5-6 in the Chevy. If I put the Chevy in AWD or 4WD it drops another 10-20% where as the CTS is already enabled.

yatesd is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony

I will just make a few observations....

- I am averaging about 23MPG with mostly spirited highway driving.
    - This is a 300+ HP AWD luxury sports sedan that weighs over 2 tons (not as light as a Corvette)
    - Almost all competitors require premium fuel, ours only needs regular
    - Tire pressure is important
    - I see a big difference between city and highway
    - Please reset your average at 5K, 10K, and 20K. I think you will find the mileage will slowly improve. Also, try a reset right before a highway trip just to compare your highway economy.

Overall, I am happy with the CTS mileage. I rent cars at least once a month and rarely find any of them do much better than my CTS on mileage.

My Honda minivan was rated at 20/27 and averages between 14-17MPG. I do get over 20 for just highway.

ctspremium is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Premium
    About fuel mileage, one can only assume that you either purchased(as I did) the vehicle or you leased it. Before we purchased our 2013 Cadillac CTS coupe Premium, I researched it' approximate ratings. At 3,000 miles our "in-town MPG was 19.3 in sept. of last year, and now with colder weather, it dropped to an average of 18.7 MPG.

Now that is on"rolling" terrain I do not baby this 3.6 v-6 at all. If you obtained the CTS-V, then your MPG will be lower and tire purchases more frequent.

This is our 5th Cadillac and our first CTS. The best Caddy was our '03 SLS, but this CTS may be the best yet, we will see.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesd
    I will just make a few observations....

- I am averaging about 23MPG with mostly spirited highway driving.
    - This is a 300+ HP AWD luxury sports sedan that weighs over 2 tons (not as light as a Corvette)
    - Almost all competitors require premium fuel, ours only needs regular
    - Tire pressure is important
    - I see a big difference between city and highway
    - Please reset your average at 5K, 10K, and 20K. I think you will find the mileage will slowly improve. Also, try a reset right before a highway trip just to compare your highway economy.

Overall, I am happy with the CTS mileage. I rent cars at least once a month and rarely find any of them do much better than my CTS on mileage.

My Honda minivan was rated at 20/27 and averages between 14-17MPG. I do get over 20 for just highway.
    Ditto everything you said.
    C "T" ess and C "T" ess like this.

HGK2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 cts coupe awd

My 2013 awd coupe has gone through 4 tanks of gas and I have less than 1000 miles on it. According to the data from the computer I'm getting 16.8 mpg. Hope it improves. Al I can say is that my 1996 nissan maxima which has always gotten 24-26mpg and it too is getting terrible mileage right now. I truly think winter gas has something to do with it too.

Beams27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Coupe 3.6

update....i have about 3600 miles on it now and averaging 15mpgs....still blows. Also I keep my tires at 40 psi all year round as i like how it rides that way. I still am wary of driving the car aggressively because the gas mileage is so bad. I also put in premium fuel because i cant get myself to put regular in this 50k car.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Beams27
    update....i have about 3600 miles on it now and averaging 15mpgs....still blows. Also I keep my tires at 40 psi all year round as i like how it rides that way. I still am wary of driving the car aggressively because the gas mileage is so bad. I also put in premium fuel because i cant get myself to put regular in this 50k car.
    Why don't you try running your car with regular and at the recommended tire pressure. See if there's a difference. And as for your "put in premium fuel bc the car cost 50k" most people who spend 50k on a car, the difference between 15-18 mpg, wouldn't kill them at the pump. No matter what, something is wrong, either the car is off or your doing something wrong. 15 is low for these cars, I would take it to your dealer to help figure out why.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by arw1510

Why don't you try running your car with regular and at the recommended tire pressure. See if there's a difference. And as for your "put in premium fuel bc the car cost 50k" most people who spend 50k on a car, the difference between 15-18 mpg, wouldn't kill them at the pump. No matter what, something is wrong, either the car is off or your doing something wrong. 15 is low for these cars, I would take it to your dealer to help figure out why.
    Agreed. Unless you are still experiencing cold weather, there's something very wrong. Take it to the dealer and good luck!

Granted I was down to 15-16mpg in the dead of winter partially because I remote started it twice a day but am now back up to 19mpg overall. (mostly suburban driving with lots of lights) Just went to north Jersey and averaged 23 for the trip. (95% hwy) 3.6DI AWD Sedan

steptoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS AWD DI

I can tell you for a fact that something is wrong with most of these second generation CTS AWD models. As for the RWD posts, they are not relevant. We who complain must realize that there are a lot of postees on this site that are either paid or work for Cadillac to keep their cars in a positive light. I remember the first time I took my 2008 AWD CTS to a dealer for a repair, an older gentlemen whispers in my ear what about the fuel economy it seems like I am always at the gas station. I had just bought the car (used) with about 37000 miles on it and had not gotten a good reading on my mpg yet for I thought I had messed up on my calculations. I soon found out, he was right. In the cold of the winter I was getting around 12 mpgs; it was killing me. As temps increased so did my mpgs to a whopping 15 mpgs combined 65 highway 35 city. Straight highway driving I can pull off 21 mpgs and that is going with the wind and no AC and temps around 45 degrees. I heard the heavy foot stuff from a dealer and after driving under the speed limit for 3 full tanks my mpgs went up a bit but nothing to be happy about. So I took it to a Cadillac dealer to see what he would give me for a trade-in on a different car and he crunched his numbers and said about $14.000 I then drove straight to a Mercedes dealership and they would give me $16,500. I also called the dealer I bought the car from and told him about the poor gas mileage and wanted to trade it in for an ATS. He told me to email him what I am looking for and he would work out a good deal for me. Three weeks later and I still havenít heard back from him.

This will be my last post because I feel like Iím preaching to the choir and there really is no hope for us...the gullible and unfortunate. As I leave this site I think you all should know about this. I took Kati ,Miss Customer Service lady, up on her offer for help and guess how long itís been since I emailed her with no reply? 6 weeks or so. I guess you can understand why I give up. I would like to suggest that fair compensation would be that Cadillac offer disgruntled Cadillac owners that have horrible gas mileage some type of break on the purchase of an ATS and take back the gas guzzlers and re-lease it to a car rental place at a good rate. One thing is for sure, the renters will truly be impressed with the ride and all of its great features and don't have to be burdened with keeping that vehicle gassed up all year.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    I can tell you for a fact that something is wrong with most of these second generation CTS AWD models. As for the RWD posts, they are not relevant. We who complain must realize that there are a lot of postees on this site that are either paid or work for Cadillac to keep their cars in a positive light. I remember the first time I took my 2008 AWD CTS to a dealer for a repair, an older gentlemen whispers in my ear what about the fuel economy it seems like I am always at the gas station. I had just bought the car (used) with about 37000 miles on it and had not gotten a good reading on my mpg yet for I thought I had messed up on my calculations. I soon found out, he was right. In the cold of the winter I was getting around 12 mpgs; it was killing me. As temps increased so did my mpgs to a whopping 15 mpgs combined 65 highway 35 city. Straight highway driving I can pull off 21 mpgs and that is going with the wind and no AC and temps around 45 degrees. I heard the heavy foot stuff from a dealer and after driving under the speed limit for 3 full tanks my mpgs went up a bit but nothing to be happy about. So I took it to a Cadillac dealer to see what he would give me for a trade-in on a different car and he crunched his numbers and said about $14.000 I then drove straight to a Mercedes dealership and they would give me $16,500. I also called the dealer I bought the car from and told him about the poor gas mileage and wanted to trade it in for an ATS. He told me to email him what I am looking for and he would work out a good deal for me. Three weeks later and I still haven’t heard back from him.

This will be my last post because I feel like I’m preaching to the choir and there really is no hope for us...the gullible and unfortunate. As I leave this site I think you all should know about this. I took Kati ,Miss Customer Service lady, up on her offer for help and guess how long it’s been since I emailed her with no reply? 6 weeks or so. I guess you can understand why I give up. I would like to suggest that fair compensation would be that Cadillac offer disgruntled Cadillac owners that have horrible gas mileage some type of break on the purchase of an ATS and take back the gas guzzlers and re-lease it to a car rental place at a good rate. One thing is for sure, the renters will truly be impressed with the ride and all of its great features and don't have to be burdened with keeping that vehicle gassed up all year.

Someone call the whambulance.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

steptoe,

I've just read every post you've made here (12) and most everyone is to complain. I haven't read where you've talked with Cad Cust Service about any of your complaints. Maybe I missed you asking them for help. This is an enthusiast forum, not a offical Cadillac sponsored forum.

Sell your car and get on with your life if you're that unhappy. FYI Ethanol reduces mileage by 5-10% minimum, winter gas blends reduce it further.

Marv

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    I must be the exception. I regularly average 20-21 mpg in suburban driving.

For the record, I am not employed by Cadillac.

Ramv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You will get worse gas mileage on premium. It has a lower detonation temperature. Terrible waste of money unless you do a tune requiring premium.

Now if you need premium to avoid detonation with a tune or forced induction upgrade that would make sense but in a a FI car designed for regular higher octane gas will lower gas mileage and power.

----------

4200 lb car, AWD and a very high drag coefficient. 20 mpg is pretty reasonable. I have seen 24 once. Mainly 20-21. 11 if I drive it hard, or high teens with typical American "highways" driving. Why would would think anything other ? My golf which weighs 2k lb has a better cd, and 130 hp gets 30. Sure as hell not goi g to be close with a car twice as big.

HurstGN is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
    4200 lb car, AWD and a very high drag coefficient. 20 mpg is pretty reasonable. I have seen 24 once. Mainly 20-21. 11 if I drive it hard, or high teens with typical American "highways" driving. Why would would think anything other ? My golf which weighs 2k lb has a better cd, and 130 hp gets 30. Sure as hell not goi g to be close with a car twice as big.
    Maybe if you take the golf out of the trunk of the Caddy you'll get better gas mileage.

Yes, I am one that expected better mpg's too. I have yet to pull that AWD fuse....just a little worried about damaging the system...but I'd love to know what the power feels like with RWD and the better MPG's. Who's gonna take one for the team and run the AWD without the fuse for 50K miles so we know if it's an issue?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I must be the exception. I regularly average 20-21 mpg in suburban driving.

For the record, I am not employed by Cadillac.
    B.S. You are employed by a company that is employed by Cadillac, just like myself and the rest of us who actually post good things about our cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.