2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Two other things to keep in mind as well. Using the automatic starter will hurt your mileage. An idling car, ...
  1. #16
    mcneill8328's Avatar
    mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    281
    Two other things to keep in mind as well. Using the automatic starter will hurt your mileage. An idling car, pumping the heat or a/c will kill the mileage. Additional, if you are using the auto climate control, that will use a/c as well, even in colder temperatures, to help reduce moisture and keep the window from fogging. Just my two cents. These are two things that I use here in Cleveland Ohio during the winter, and I definitely see a decrease in mileage this time if year.

  2. #17
    donaldw9521 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts oerf. coupe
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    23

    Red face Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    i agree on poor mileage... my 2012 coupe gets 4-5 mpg less than my 08 cts sedan..i drive her easy.. found out the coupe is geared down( rear end has higher ratio--higer rpm on motor) at 60 mph my motor is at 2000+ rpm, my 08 was around 1750-1800 rpm at 60...so there goes your gas mpg.. i wish i could have ordered it with the sedan rear end.
    Beams27 and Beams27 like this.

  3. #18
    Beams27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Coupe 3.6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    I am in the burbs of Chicago. No snow here yet this year.

    ----------

    The auto start is barely used. This car just gets shit mileage. No extreme weather conditions or driving conditions. I baby the car.

  4. #19
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,162

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    We're sorry to hear that some of you are not fully satisfied with your vehicles because of the fuel economy you are getting on them.

    A few notes on fuel economy to pass along:
    The EPA's fuel economy estimates are designed to allow consumers to comparison shop. Your fuel economy will almost certainly vary from EPA's fuel economy rating, which is based on a number of factors, such as weather, road conditions, driving and maintenance habits, and the use of air conditioning. For more information on how your fuel economy can vary, or tips to improve your fuel economy, please visit "Your MPG Will Still Vary" and "Gas Mileage Tips" on www.fueleconomy.gov.

    Terrain can also affect fuel economy - are your roads mostly flat or do you have to do hill/mountain driving?

    I'm not sure about your odometer readings, but new vehicles will not obtain their optimal fuel economy until the engine has broken in. A typical engine will take 3 to 5 thousand miles to break in and during this time period a gradual increase in fuel economy can be expected.

    If you are concerned and want to have your vehicle evaluated by your dealership, please keep Katie and I in mind as we're available to you. We can be contacted on the forum via private message or by email at katie_lucille@gmexpert.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a brief summary of your concern).

    Sarah (Assisting Michelle), Cadillac Customer Service

  5. #20
    Beams27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Coupe 3.6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I have around 1100 miles on it so far and I am hoping it will get better upon breaking in. All flat road driving out here in chicago.

  6. #21
    stingbill is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts coupe 2011
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    jackman maine
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    I have a 2011 cts coupe AWD with 15 K miles, on a flat road at 65 mph the best I get is 23 mpg and even if I go at 60 mph it as the same mpg ...that`s far from the 27 advertised , If I had known I would not have bought this car !

  7. #22
    Beams27 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Coupe 3.6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    13

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    Quote Originally Posted by stingbill View Post
    I have a 2011 cts coupe AWD with 15 K miles, on a flat road at 65 mph the best I get is 23 mpg and even if I go at 60 mph it as the same mpg ...that`s far from the 27 advertised , If I had known I would not have bought this car !
    I agree fully. A bit disappointed.

  8. #23
    Blue CTS's Avatar
    Blue CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe '14
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester Hills, Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    43

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    All you can do is pump the tires up to tweak a bit more out it. I run mine about 40psi (set in fall). Now colder they probably are at 37.

  9. #24
    Goodtimo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6DI AWD
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    5

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    I think it's mpg is questionable too.

    Here's my data: I also live in the Chicago suburbs and mine gets about 14 in mixed drivine. I drive in mixed conditions; stop and go through town an also for half of the time at 40 MPH. Mine is an 08 cts 3.6 DI with AWD. I tried to baby it, and it did help a little. But it still seems thirsty. The best I've ever gotten on a trip (going 5-7mph over the speed limit) was 25/26.

    For one thing, using the AC and the heat, as someone mentioned in an earlier post will not impact the mpg very much. I remember doing research on it a few years back and it was a marginal difference, if any. What impacted more was driving with the windows down (wish I could remember what magazine did that test!). Today's vehicles don't use the hp robbing HVAC equipment as they did in the 60s & 70s

    To me, the cars today are way safer, a lot better looking, much faster and way better handling than the cars of yore, but the gas mileage stinks! We had cars in the 60s/70s that had big blocks in them, weighed the same if not more than my car and got better mileage. No way my car should get the same mileage as our f250 with a 460 gasser in it.

    If I had to guess, my guess is that we need a better tranny/gear ratio for the car. The 6 speed, although is subpar compared to the ones the Germans use. Extra gears and the differences in the gears (what we used to refer to when we said "close-ratio" and "wide-ratio") might really be able to pull the car faster in 0-60 and then still get the mpg with the extra gears. IDK?

  10. #25
    Chris Pelkey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Blue Diamond 3.6L DI AWD
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fairfax Station, VA
    Posts
    46

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    What are the rear end ratios on these vehicles? I have a 2009 DI AWD. Just took possession of it in November and I'm starting to evaluate the maintenance that has been performed on the vehicle so far (73K+ miles). Thanks.

  11. #26
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    4,494

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodtimo View Post
    I think it's mpg is questionable too.

    Here's my data: I also live in the Chicago suburbs and mine gets about 14 in mixed drivine. I drive in mixed conditions; stop and go through town an also for half of the time at 40 MPH. Mine is an 08 cts 3.6 DI with AWD. I tried to baby it, and it did help a little. But it still seems thirsty. The best I've ever gotten on a trip (going 5-7mph over the speed limit) was 25/26.

    For one thing, using the AC and the heat, as someone mentioned in an earlier post will not impact the mpg very much. I remember doing research on it a few years back and it was a marginal difference, if any. What impacted more was driving with the windows down (wish I could remember what magazine did that test!). Today's vehicles don't use the hp robbing HVAC equipment as they did in the 60s & 70s

    To me, the cars today are way safer, a lot better looking, much faster and way better handling than the cars of yore, but the gas mileage stinks! We had cars in the 60s/70s that had big blocks in them, weighed the same if not more than my car and got better mileage. No way my car should get the same mileage as our f250 with a 460 gasser in it.

    If I had to guess, my guess is that we need a better tranny/gear ratio for the car. The 6 speed, although is subpar compared to the ones the Germans use. Extra gears and the differences in the gears (what we used to refer to when we said "close-ratio" and "wide-ratio") might really be able to pull the car faster in 0-60 and then still get the mpg with the extra gears. IDK?
    Hence the move to an eight speed trans for '14, if they can get it working correctly.

  12. #27
    00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    424

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    Tire pressure can play a big role in MPG as well. Make sure your tires are fully inflated to at least the recommended settings. I actually run mine 2-4 psi above the recommendation. Partly because I'm not using the OE tire anynmore and partly because I like the way it handles with a bit stiffer sidewall. I have noticed slightly better mpg as well with the elevated pressures. If my tires get a few psi below recommended settings, I can usually tell by a reduction in mpg before I ever check the pressure.

    As for not flogging a new engine, forget it. The best thing you can do for a new engine is run it at high load to break it in right. Notice I said high LOAD, not high rpm. Use the manumatic and shift it between 3-4K with your foot on the floor. If you do this, your engine will burn alot less oil in the future and you'll get it loosened up a little improving mpg. At only 1500 miles on the clock now, I would recommend using this procedure when ever you can up through about 5000 miles. After that, do it once in a while unless you drive pretty agressively anyway.

  13. #28
    sdobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    40

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    I was going to start a new thread on this same subject wondering about my gas mileage. I have 2009 AWD Sedan 3.6L DI with ~19,000 miles and I'm on my 5th tank of gas and have gotten an average of 17 MPG with 60-70% highway driving. I can't believe this is normal for these vehicles.

  14. #29
    Mrmiker56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    16

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    Has anyone gotten satisfaction from having the dealer evalute and address the poor mileage? I have an 2011 CTS 3.6 DI AWD Premium 12,000 miles that I purchased used in November and I am not quite averaging 15 mpg in mixed driving and I try to baby it to get better mileage. My previous car was a 2005 CTS Lux/Sport 3.6 and I averaged 18 mpg with the same daily commute. I assume when I take it in they will tell me I have a heavy foot, driving conditions vary, etc etc. I have to agree this is unacceptable and I am tremedously disappointed. Katie - I will let you know the outcome once I take it to the dealer but from reading the forum it appears that some of these cars just have poor mileage and we are stuck with it. My 2005 burned oil like crazy and not everyone had that problem either.

  15. #30
    DEVIL1's Avatar
    DEVIL1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS AWD COUPE PERFORMANCE
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    24

    Re: 2013 CTS4 Coupe AWD awful gas mileage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmiker56 View Post
    Has anyone gotten satisfaction from having the dealer evalute and address the poor mileage? I have an 2011 CTS 3.6 DI AWD Premium 12,000 miles that I purchased used in November and I am not quite averaging 15 mpg in mixed driving and I try to baby it to get better mileage. My previous car was a 2005 CTS Lux/Sport 3.6 and I averaged 18 mpg with the same daily commute. I assume when I take it in they will tell me I have a heavy foot, driving conditions vary, etc etc. I have to agree this is unacceptable and I am tremedously disappointed. Katie - I will let you know the outcome once I take it to the dealer but from reading the forum it appears that some of these cars just have poor mileage and we are stuck with it. My 2005 burned oil like crazy and not everyone had that problem either.
    Totally agree.
    Other thread here that also mentioned this problem. A lot of theories that made sense in regards to weight, tuning etc. You are going to go to GM and you are going to get the same politically correct answer that was already posted here by the GM rep which by the way, I'am extremely impressed that they are contributing here. I can see some people driving too fast or in bad terrain, I cannot believe the amount of people posting in this forum complaining about the gas mileage. No matter what the reason is, the mpg afvertised in the window sticker should be close to what all of us are getting and it is not. If you are driving like a meatball, of course your mpg is not going to be good but if you are driving in traffic or other conditions that might decrease your mpg it should still be some what close to the window sticker number, that is why there is a city category there. We should not be getting less than "city" mileage when we are driving on the highways. I have had many cars, I do not need someone to tell me that maybe I'am driving to fast or in the city or in adverse terrain and so on. I like my new CTS Coupe, I don't like the misleading window sticker.
    Mrmiker56 and Mrmiker56 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting