2011 CTS fuel economy incredibly low
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2011 CTS fuel economy incredibly low in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi folks, The 2011 CTS (8k miles) I just bought is a great car and I'm very happy with it, ...
    mrcandyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe

2011 CTS fuel economy incredibly low

Hi folks,

The 2011 CTS (8k miles) I just bought is a great car and I'm very happy with it, save for one thing: The fuel economy is awfully low. I average only 15mpg in town and I am not heavy on the throttle. I just took a road trip of several hundred freeway miles, used cruise control heavily and averaged only 19mpg. Based on the window sticker numbers, I expected a lot better.

Are others experiencing similarly bad fuel economy? Should I take it to the dealership and ask them to fix it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: 2011 CTS fuel economy incredibly low

I have an STS with the DI 3.6 (same engine as yours); I would have your car checked out as it sure seems you are getting sub par fuel mileage (especially your hwy mileage). Just back from a 400 mile trip (SC to FL), mostly interstate, cruise between 65 and 70 mph and saw nearly 30 mpg (computer) and 29.2 (doing the math; miles divided by gallons used). Though relatively sedate and flat (my trip), I think your vehicle should be doing substantially better.

Did you do the math (to determine your mpg) as your computer mileage could take some time to re-average your hwy trip (if you didn't reset it) before your trip. Also, for a quick check; take your car unto a flat section of hwy, put it on cruise control, and check instant mileage (you should be getting high twenties or even low thirties at around 60 to 65 mph).

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

I agree; you should be getting considerably better mileage than that. My '10 CTS with the 3.6 gets an average of 28 to 29 mpg on the highway; around town it averages around 19 mpg.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Mine was an 08 CTS4, but the numbers sucked similarly. Around town was in the 16 range, on the road 22-23.

phathead785 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Deville, 2004 Cadillac DTS, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe

I have the same problem...I drive 50 miles of highway every day and I still get about 300 miles per tank /19.1 mpg average. Very low.

I wonder if it matters...I have a 2011 CTS4 premium coupe...does the 4 or coupe make it less economical?

Char T A is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Sedan
    2010 CTS4 performance. I see tanks of less than 350 miles and 19 ish per gallon. Looked it up and unfortunately for the awd it seems typical. I do drive it the way it likes to be driven- fast.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

With all the hubbub recently regarding Ford and Hyundai inflating their mpg numbers, me thinks Cadillac may have added a point or two in there. I get about 19, sometimes 20 mpg of mixed city/highway driving, with about 1/2 to 2/3 miles in the city. I was hoping for about a 22 mpg mixed. I think the surprising thing for me was not the city mpg, but the highway. Granted I haven't used a full tank on highway driving, but on the few trips of 100+ miles, I'm still only getting about 24, maybe 25 mpg on the highway. One final surprising point for me that won't apply to many of you is that it wasn't until this past month that I've been able to do a lot of driving without the a/c on (here in Fla.), and I expected my mpg to improve. Unfortunately, it hasn't. Oh well, not complaining, but just letting the OP know what seems to be a common experience among us CTS owners.

mrcandyman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe

Thank you for the replies. Mine is also a 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe, and like angelbones, I expected about 22mpg mixed. I did reset the computer's mileage before the trip so I'd have some accurate freeway numbers, as I was already bummed about the 15mpg in town.

I'm going to ask the dealership to check it out fully. I suppose it can't hurt, but it's sounding like this may be the unfortunate norm based on some of your replies.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Quote Originally Posted by mrcandyman View Post
    Thank you for the replies. Mine is also a 2011 CTS4 Premium Coupe, and like angelbones, I expected about 22mpg mixed. I did reset the computer's mileage before the trip so I'd have some accurate freeway numbers, as I was already bummed about the 15mpg in town.

I'm going to ask the dealership to check it out fully. I suppose it can't hurt, but it's sounding like this may be the unfortunate norm based on some of your replies.
    Mrcandyman - My Lifetime MPG(12 Coupe Premium RWD) reported by Onstar mobile app is 22. I do a lot of stop and go and a lot of speeds below 40mph. Live in a large community - 2 1/2 miles of stop/go till you reach the highway. On the local highway, speeds are around 55mph and a lot of long waits at lights. On my recent trip back to SC from NJ, I averaged about 27+mpg, slightly lower than previoius 08 sedan with 3.6L. Now I have the 3.6DI and it is known to be a little less than non-DI engines. But you should be getting much better than your numbers even with AWD which I think lowers the numbers slightly. 19mpg on cruise on interstate is way off. Do you review Onstar diagnostics to see if anything mentioned in the report? Take it to dealer.

thunder0938 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS wagon 3.6

2010 CTS performance wagon 3.6 I avg around 20/21 mostly city and on a trip all highway I got 28/29

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I just got back from a 850 mile roundtrip all on Interstate roads. Averaged 23.5 mpg and over 70 mph.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Just got back from Fort Myers, FL. Round trip - 1,300 miles. Mostly highway driving. Coming back cruise control on 78mph. Averaged 25.5 mpg. I'm happy.

donaldw9521 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts oerf. coupe

Cool Re: 2011 CTS fuel economy incredibly low

i have the 2012 cts performance coupe and am likewise dissapointed with the gas mileage. but i found out why. the coupe has a lower rear end ratio ( more rpm)per mph. i only get 25 mph on hyway. my 08 cts used to get 28 to 30...was unawre when i bought the coupe that they geared them down

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Ahh, maybe with my performance package I have a higher ratio rear end. That would explain my mpg.

blacaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4 Wagon

5500 miles on my AWD Premium wagon and AVG=24.5mpg......instant of 28-31mpg @ 65 on road trips.....this mirrors the mileage from my '98STS Northstar but the V-6 just doesn't have the SOUND...Color me a Satisfied Cadillac owner

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.