Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2013 CTS AWD Luxury bluetooth question

29K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  codyjohnsonet 
#1 ·
Hi all
New CTS owner here. Does anyone know how to play audio over bluetooth? I searched the manual but couldn't find any information on this.
Thanks

#6 ·
kinsale said:
Seriously? how is that even possible?? I love the car but seriously?? wow. 2013 luxury car and no bluetooth audio???
I hear you, my son's 2009 Mazda 6 has Bluetooth audio, and the CTS doesn't.

That said, the iPod integration/control in the CTS (with the special cable) is much better than in the Mazda. The Mazda just let's you move up and down tracks with the audio stereo controls, but if you want to select by artist, genre, playlist, etc., you have to do that through the iPod.

The CTS' controls are much more comprehensive (again, compared to the 2009 Mazda with Bluetooth audio).

#7 ·
yup for a company the size of GM it's a disgrace. especially as they are trying to appeal to a younger demographic. I am 40 years old and a first time Cadillac owner. i'm impressed with the car just not with the electronics. another example is the XM radio. why with the size of lcd display available does it not display the WHOLE name of the song??? if i just bought a Camry i'd just chalk it up to buying an average car. i just expected more from Cadillac.

#8 ·
Have to totally agree about the LCD display for XM. The last few cars that either my wife or I have owned at least showed a lot more, or allowed you to turn the knob to show more of the artist/song. The weird thing is that it appears that there is room for a few more characters on the screen. Or they could have put it in when you hit menu or info or display or something. Anyway, that is one of the few peccadillos of the CTS and this seemed like an appropriate place to rant about it.

#10 · (Edited)
The 'UAV' Infotainment system in the 2nd gen CTS was designed/engineered in 2006, with the vehicle entering regular production in late June 2007. When the all-new 2008 CTS was introduced in 2007, everyone - including automotive press folk - was raving about how great the 'state-of-the-art' CTS's Infotainment system was, and how it trumped the majority of systems available at that time in competitor brand vehicles. In the electronics biz 1 year is a long time, with new stuff being introduced all the time. The Infotainment system design in the gen 2 CTS is now 6+ years old. Personally, I think it's held up very well when considering the pace of technology advancement and introduction of latest & greatest electronics gear. It occurs to me the original model iPhone was also introduced in 2007, and if you're caught operating one of those now you're considered to be using an "antique".
Given the original development costs there was no way GM was ever going to update the UAV Infotainment system for the gen 2 CTS, which is now in its final year of production. I'm very satisfied with the Infotainment system in my '11 CTS, and it matters little to me that it lacks Bluetooth audio.

#12 ·
The infotainment system is very good. It has held up well if it was designed in 2006. My point was adding bluetooth audio at worst is changing out the bluetooth processor chip and at best updating the software. We are not talking about a major redesign of the system, at all. I'm not sure whether GM does this work internally or has an OEM do it but either way it is not a significant investment. I wonder is the 2013 CTS the same car as it was when this generation was introduced? If it is I am stunned because every manufacturer iterates their cars. Like I said adding bluetooth audio is not a major expense hence my frustration at why they would not do it.

As for the XM display, as I said my Jeep handles all the information fine. It is in the signal being broadcast. It is just how you choose to implement.

Guys, I do not know if buying a CTS was a trivial thing for all of you but for most of us I would expect we worked hard to pay for this car. My point is we should always expect the best from the manufacturers that we buy from. It is the only way to keep standards up. I will compliment Cadillac on this car. It is wonderful and these issues do not take away from my enjoyment of the car. But it is ok to highlight the shortcomings.

#13 · (Edited)
kinsale said:
Guys, I do not know if buying a CTS was a trivial thing for all of you but for most of us I would expect we worked hard to pay for this car. My point is we should always expect the best from the manufacturers that we buy from. It is the only way to keep standards up. I will compliment Cadillac on this car. It is wonderful and these issues do not take away from my enjoyment of the car. But it is ok to highlight the shortcomings.

I agree with you up to a point, but every manufacturer has to make compromises based on their model line-up, demographics, and price points. I'm sure there are buyers of Chevy Malibus and Buick LaCrosses that wish their cars had more features too.

You just hope that there are never compromises in quality which the domestics have been guilty of in the past.

As I mentioned earlier, my son has a 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring S model. It is loaded to the gills (Bluetooth audio, Rain sensing wipers, keyless entry, push button start, blind spot monitoring, memory seats, navigation, Sirius, etc). It also is the V6 model and it is plenty quick and would give the CTS a run for it's money or maybe beat it outright given how much lighter it is. Brand new it had an MSRP in the low $30k range.

( side note on this, at that price many would accuse Mazda of "price dumping" but at the time Ford had part ownership in Mazda, and the 6 was based on the Fusion and was built by American workers in the Flat Rock Michigan plant. As a matter of fact, the Blake calipers have FOMoCo stamped on them)

Having said all that, with all the features the Mazda has, it is not the same as my CTS.

Things like ride, feel, and especially the materials. Drive the two back to back and no one will mistake the 6 for the Cadillac. The cabin is a much richer as you would expect, not to mention that the audio and navigation is much nicer and ipod integration and control is better executed in the CTS than it is on the Mazda. For me BT audio isn't missed because I've stored all my music on the internal hard drive so I don't have to stream from my iPhone, and that hard drive let's me pause, rewind and record music, again something that the Mazda doesn't have. I have a heated steering wheel along with heated and cooled seats, while the Mazda only heats the seats. The CTS has adaptive headlights, remote start, and OnStar telematics that allow me to start my car from my iPhone when I'm getting ready to leave for the day so that the car is heated/or cooled by the time I walk to the other side of the building where I park.

So, I could lament that my car doesn't have a feature that is offered in less expensive cars, or I can enjoy what my car offers over those less expensive cars.

Recently I read a Car and Driver article where they reviewed a Bentley and they mentioned it lacked a common feature, I think it was blind spot monitoring. What has this world come to? I'm sure those Bentley owners are howling. :)

#14 ·
I agree with you up to a point, but every manufacturer has to make compromises based on their model line-up, demographics, and price points. I'm sure there are buyers of Chevy Malibus and Buick LaCrosses that wish their cars had more features too.

You just hope that there are never compromises in quality which the domestics have been guilty of in the past.

As I mentioned earlier, my son has a 2009 Mazda 6 Grand Touring S model. It is loaded to the gills (Bluetooth audio, Rain sensing wipers, keyless entry, push button start, blind spot monitoring, memory seats, navigation, Sirius, etc). It also is the V6 model and it is plenty quick and would give the CTS a run for it's money or maybe beat it outright given how much lighter it is. Brand new it had an MSRP in the low $30k range.

( side note on this, at that price many would accuse Mazda of "price dumping" but at the time Ford had part ownership in Mazda, and the 6 was based on the Fusion and was built by American workers in the Flat Rock Michigan plant. As a matter of fact, the Blake calipers have FOMoCo stamped on them)

Having said all that, with all the features the Mazda has, it is not the same as my CTS.

Things like ride, feel, and especially the materials. Drive the two back to back and no one will mistake the 6 for the Cadillac. The cabin is a much richer as you would expect, not to mention that the audio and navigation is much nicer and ipod integration and control is better executed in the CTS than it is on the Mazda. For me BT audio isn't missed because I've stored all my music on the internal hard drive so I don't have to stream from my iPhone, and that hard drive let's me pause, rewind and record music, again something that the Mazda doesn't have. I have a heated steering wheel along with heated and cooled seats, while the Mazda only heats the seats. The CTS has adaptive headlights, remote start, and OnStar telematics that allow me to start my car from my iPhone when I'm getting ready to leave for the day so that the car is heated/or cooled by the time I walk to the other side of the building where I park.

So, I could lament that my car doesn't have a feature that is offered in less expensive cars, or I can enjoy what my car offers over those less expensive cars.

Recently I read a Car and Driver article where they reviewed a Bentley and they mentioned it lacked a common feature, I think it was blind spot monitoring. What has this world come to? :)
:) you are of course correct. In the grand scheme of things I am complaining about trivial things. Of course I would much rather my CTS over your sons Mazda 6. I am a car buff, and while raising my family have not had the opportunity to indulge my passion. The CTS is my first really nice car, others would argue I have had many nice cars :) I am very proud of my CTS and can easily forgive the lack of bluetooth audio. I am however an electronics geek also and therein lies the problem. my inner geek fighting against the petrolhead. so the car nut will now take over and I will enjoy my awesome CTS :)
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!!

#18 ·
I'll have to admit I'm a little dis-appointed with not be able to stream bluetooth music in my 2010 CTS-4 but i can deal with it..
A little frusting after a friend just got a new car call "Kia" that was able to do this :)

I'll still having issues with the system not able to play ipod music...my guess is the OEM cable needed?

#20 ·
WTF??? I guess the 2013 AWD Luxury does not come with the "luxury" of the USB port either? A few years ago I paid less than 20k for a new Kia minivan which had a freaking USB port. Not as an option, as standard. Really a USB port is an OPTION on a Cadillac. i love my new car. I love my new car...

#21 ·
^ The "Luxury" descriptor on a 2013 CTS AWD Luxury model denotes an entry-level base model car. The base CTS comes with the base audio system - rpo code U2R - which lacks USB with audio connectivity. The two optional audio systems for the CTS - rpo U2S (non-Nav w/HDD) and UAV (Nav w/HDD) - both feature USB with audio connectivity.
Kinsale, I don't know how much model/trim content/available options research you did prior to buying your '13 CTS, but it sounds to me that perhaps a little more could have been done if missing a USB port is coming as a surprise to you.
With that said.. I'm sure the upcoming all-new 2014 CTS will feature a USB port in the base model car.

#22 ·
^ The "Luxury" descriptor on a 2013 CTS AWD Luxury model denotes an entry-level base model car. The base CTS comes with the base audio system - rpo code U2R - which lacks USB with audio connectivity. The two optional audio systems for the CTS - rpo U2S (non-Nav w/HDD) and UAV (Nav w/HDD) - both feature USB with audio connectivity.
Kinsale, I don't know how much model/trim content/available options research you did prior to buying your '13 CTS, but it sounds to me that perhaps a little more could have been done if missing a USB port is coming as a surprise to you.
With that said.. I'm sure the all-new upcoming 2014 CTS will feature a USB port in the base model.
RAB,
i did not research the car and think, boy I should make sure that a 2013 luxury car will have a USB port. I chose AWD, I chose the color, I chose the engine, i did not choose NAV as I did not need it. I did not choose a HDD because I did not need it. My point being in a 2013 car I should not have to worry that features that are standard on most entry level cars will be available in the luxury car that I am buying.
I am not posting this to complain, per se. It is to hopefully highlight how ridiculous it is to have to search through codes and spec sheets to make sure your car has something that should be standard in 2012. Hey, I accept i didn't think to make sure the USB port was there. Am I going to regret my choice, no. But let's get real. Cadillac is a luxury brand and no one should have to worry about an ipod port when they go to sign for their car. Should I look at how many luxury 2013 cars do not have these features standard??

#24 · (Edited)
^ Kinsale, I don't disagree. Every late model-year Cadillac model, regardless of preferred equipment group or audio system model, should feature a USB port for audio connectivity. The fact that your '13 CTS Luxury is missing this feature, while every model Hyundai and Kia (and probably 95% of all other car brands/models) have it, should be a source of embarrassment for GM. It would be interesting to hear their take on the issue. I'm sure their comment/excuse would be pretty lame.
Unfortunately, when buying a GM car - even a Cadillac - you really have to check every detail of their spec & PEG data sheets.

^ Cadillac Cust Svc - While we appreciate your monitoring of this forum and the assistance you provide at times to forum members, I am continually at a loss to understand what the frequent comment of "taking note of this thread" really means, and what it actually does for anyone here.
Going forward, I challenge Cadillac Cust Svc to provide more in-depth answers & information to forum members here with the various problems and issues they face. While we appreciate the apologies and kind words you frequently provide on behalf of Cadillac, we also look to you as a conduit for information out of GM. You are able to make contact with individuals and departments within GM that we cannot.
Here's an example of an unanswered question: Exactly what changes/enhancements are found in the recently introduced 2013 Nav update disc for the 2nd gen CTS? Is it a map database update only, or does it also contain new application software (firmware)? If new firmware, what does it provide the buyer? Will superimposed guidelines (on reversing) finally be provided on the Nav screen for cars equipped with a rear view camera? Navigation.com/Navteq is unable or unwilling to answer any of these questions. I challenge Cadillac Cust Svc to provide answers in this regard. If you cannot provide answers to these basic questions, then I'm sorry, but I would have to question what exactly your mission is here other than offering apologies, offering to contact dealers and looking up VIN build data on request.
Is there a 'mission statement' you can post in connection with your interaction in this forum?

#25 ·
^ Kinsale, I don't disagree. Every late model-year Cadillac model, regardless of preferred equipment group or audio system model, should feature a USB port for audio connectivity. The fact that your '13 CTS Luxury is missing this feature, while every model Hyundai and Kia (and probably 95% of all other car brands/models) have it, should be a source of embarrassment for GM. It would be interesting to hear their take on the issue. I'm sure the answer would be pretty lame.

^ Cadillac Cust Svc - While we appreciate your monitoring of this forum and the assistance you provide at times to forum members, I am continually at a loss to understand what the frequent comment of "taking note of this thread" really means, and what it actually does for anyone here.
Going forward, I challenge Cadillac Cust Svc to provide more in-depth answers & information to forum members here with the various problems and issues they face. While we appreciate the apologies and kind words you frequently provide on behalf of Cadillac, we also look to you as a conduit for information out of GM. You are able to make contact with individuals and departments within GM that we cannot.
Here's an example of an unanswered question: Exactly what changes/enhancements are found in the recently introduced 2013 Nav update disc for the 2nd gen CTS? Is it a map database update only, or does it also contain new application software (firmware)? If new firmware, what does it provide the buyer? Will a guidleline overlay (on reversing) finally be provided on the Nav screen for cars equipped with a rear view camera? GM Nav Disc are unwilling or unable to answer any of these questions. I challenge Cadillac Cust Svc to provide answers in this regard. If you cannot provide answers to these basic questions, then I'm sorry, but I would have to question what exactly your mission is here other than offering apologies, contacting dealers (in certain matters) and looking up VIN build data on request.
Can you post a 'mission statement' in connection with your interaction in this forum?
Rab, thank you for the response. While I accept it is on me to check that the car I buy has all the features I require, I admit I was lulled into a false sense of security due to my excitement at finally being able to afford such a nice car. I knew I would not have cooled seats or blind spot or nav but never did i expect that i had to check if the USB port was actually there. if someone told me the radio i have in the car was capable of accepting a USB port and was left off simply to add to a "package" then I would be be horrified. Cooled seat, nav etc ok to add to a package and charge more but surely not a $2 port. Same with bluetooth audio, I knew the car had bluetooth for the phone. I "assumed" (silly me) that bluetooth audio went along with this. Again my fault for not checking. They do build a nice car though.

Cadillac Cust. Service, Thank you for your response. A bit of advice to pass on as it seems this is a one way conversation. When a customer buys a current year model of your car please do not have such ridiculous packages and codes for options. I am ok with trim levels but please, you are a luxury brand. Keep it simple. My choice should be red or black. Not USB port or not. Accessories are great. Fancier rims etc, no problem. But I can't add a USB port now can I?? I am 40 years old. you could have me as a Caddy driver for the next 40 years with any luck on my part. Keep me as a customer! I'm happy in my Caddy!!!
I also echo Rabs comments. Please give more feedback. You are talking to people who recommend your product and help sell it for you. I know I helped talk my mother in law into a higher spec ATS recently. So let this be a 2 way conversation.
Ian

#26 ·
I know this thread is pretty old, but I just bought a used 2009 CTS and LOVE it!!! I too had questions as to whether or not it had Bluetooth audio and found the same as everyone else. What I did find, however, was that an add on Bluetooth receiver plugged into the Auxiliary stereo input solved my problem perfectly. It may not be the most elegant solution if you were to look inside my center console, but it did only cost me $26 and sounds fantastic. Another thing, since it is strictly Bluetooth Audio and the cars Bluetooth is strictly Phone audio, they function perfectly together when both are paired. My music pauses automatically when I receive a phone call and resumes when I hang up.

In time, I would like to modify the Bluetooth device that I bought and integrate it more into the car so that it only turns on with the ignition or with the stereo. Right now it is plugged into the accessory power in the center console which is always hot. I know it's not a huge drain on the battery, but nonetheless, I would like it to be properly done. I'm kind of O.C. like that. At any rate, it should be pretty easy to integrate with minimal tinkering.

The exact device that I bought isn't on Walmart's website, but this one is pretty comparable: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aluratek-iStream-DockFree-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver/19800249

Hope this helps someone!

#27 ·
I have to say that the combination of voice commands that is required to access my smartphone's (Samsung Note II) voice recognition to allow me to place a call is so complicated that it's not worth the effort. Once I start driving more, it will prove to be a serious headache. I own a 2009 CTS with pretty much every conceivable option.

#28 ·
MaxBuck said:
I have to say that the combination of voice commands that is required to access my smartphone's (Samsung Note II) voice recognition to allow me to place a call is so complicated that it's not worth the effort. Once I start driving more, it will prove to be a serious headache. I own a 2009 CTS with pretty much every conceivable option.
There are a lot of steps just to make a call but I like the fact s voice comes on so you can do other things...note 2 here as well. (nice phone btw)

#31 ·
DaveL said:
Showing my age. Ihave a 2010 cts wagon, and have the cable. The Cadillac dealer in Orangeville did not provide a manual for the audio/gps system. I have a new iPod Touch but can't get it to work. Can you help?

Hello am first time 2013 CTS owner and I love it. I have read all posts here about the Bluetooth. Am disappointed in that aspect and the lack of hands free call in the car from cell phone .
My question is, us there a harness kit that maybe installed for those 2 purposes without invalidating my Cadillac warranty?
If yes please advice model, company and contact .

Thank you

#32 ·
I bought this http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2 Bluetooth receiver. USB cable ( to keep it connected and on) aux cable (to connect box to aux )Pros - great sound , connects automatically. No need for any cable to have phone connected. Price. Cons - music control only through phone , no bluetooth calls, only music streaming. Everything is hidden in my arm test. Connect white box to USB port in arm Rest for power. Connect white box to aux outlet via aux cable.. Connect phone to receiver. Set radio to aux. stream everything off your phone without any silly cables.

#33 ·
Yes. I just bought a used 2013 cts coupe. I am truky disappointed that i cannot play my ipod in a safe handsfree way. Unacceptable. The aux play wuth the cable is pisspoor. I had better integration with my 10 year old radio i bought for my 95 mustang. I spent a lt of money to have this disappointment.

#34 ·
Welcome!

I guess you didn't fully check out your CTS prior to purchase! If you'll read some threads on this topic, there are posts telling you how to update your system with aftermarket products.

Cadillac doesn't support this forum, so you're complaining to the wrong place. Marv

#35 ·
I just bought a used 2013 and did nit know I woukd not be able to play my iphone through the head unit. I saved a long time for it and it is a huge disappointmnt and I am not in a place to trade in. Music is my life and to have to plug in my iphone with the aux cordcand manually use my iphone without the infotainment cintroks (safety and not handsfree) is ludicrous for what was a 520000 car. I have my original window sticker. I have the usb port and the aux and it does not work. I left a twenty year old mustang with a updated radio from 2009 that allowed me to at least play via usb and see my songs and control through the radio. The cars performance is ok, not worth the price. 'Sigh'

----------

Thanks for nothing Marv. And I have followed and researched this car since 2008 when it was at the car show. Keep your stupid comments to yourself. The manuals and the dealer all said I could use my iphone/ipods in this car. I am not talking about bluetooth either. And this forum is terrible. Forums are supposed to help people come together and troubleshoot or celebrate if appropriate, common themes. The interface alone on this site is super ridiculous with it's "I'm not a robot" verify and lousy password recognition. I am happily leaving. Miss the Mustang guys that have good advice. ☹

#36 · (Edited)
You're right that the name Luxury is misleading. If everything you say, says it will work, I'd make a beeline to selling dealer and complain to them! Many used car lots print their own window stickers and they may not be correct. I'd be disappointed too! You say "I have followed and researched this car since 2008". So this isn't Cadillac's fault, is it?

I've never had a problem signing on so I don't understand your issue. Too bad to see you go!:bigroll: Marv

#40 ·
Hi Jose. Where did you put the little button thing? I'm thinking about buying the Kinivo, as well, but I'm trying to look at all my options. I've actually loaded a bunch of music to the HDD and have been pretty happy using that but I'd still like the Bluetooth option. I just don't want it to interfere with the current Bluetooth unit since I can at least make calls with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.