How reliable are these cars
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, How reliable are these cars in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I had an 03 cts but traded it in for a Tahoe as i now have a family of 4 ...
    thoed.essay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Diamond White CTS Lux/Sports PKG

How reliable are these cars

I had an 03 cts but traded it in for a Tahoe as i now have a family of 4 but the V8 is burning WAY more then the Est city MPG. So I'm considering either a MB E350 Or a 08 cts but I was reading about the timing chain issue witch is my main concern, has anybody had any major problems/ COSTLY repair and would any one recommend this vehicle I loved my old cts but it was just a little to small in back. I know these are suppose to be more little more roomy so could it fit two car seats comfortably? Any insight on the car would be greatly appreciated ! Oh yeah I'm looking for a higher miles car maybe 75 plus so keep miles in mind or if its a bad idea please just let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by thoed.essay
    I had an 03 cts but traded it in for a Tahoe as i now have a family of 4 but the V8 is burning WAY more then the Est city MPG. So I'm considering either a MB E350 Or a 08 cts but I was reading about the timing chain issue witch is my main concern, has anybody had any major problems/ COSTLY repair and would any one recommend this vehicle I loved my old cts but it was just a little to small in back. I know these are suppose to be more little more roomy so could it fit two car seats comfortably? Any insight on the car would be greatly appreciated ! Oh yeah I'm looking for a higher miles car maybe 75 plus so keep miles in mind or if its a bad idea please just let me know!
    The timing chain is automatically covered under Cadillac warranty for 10 years or 120k miles so that shouldn't be a concern at all.

I've had my fair share of repairs on my 08 BUT, I still feel that it is a rock solid car as I have never broken down nor has it ever left me stranded. It reminds me of my old Seville STS because that too never broke down and I was at 148k when it was totaled in an accident.

As for the car seat, I had one in the backseat and could EASILY see fitting two back there.

DO NOT even consider the MB...They are extremely high on maintenance AND every single repair will be costly!!! If you were going for a newer car with btb warranty, I wouldn't be saying that. Trust me, I know several people that have been there with the used E, C and M classes. Go for the Caddy...you won't be disappointed.

Re: How reliable are these cars

Thanks! I've been doing a ton of research on both vehicles but its hard to choose for me both have great and helpful forums (unlike for my tahoe ) for just about every known problem which cuts expensive BIG time as I love to do my own work on my cars...
    What are the know issues with these 08 both regular engine and DI and are covered under warranty? I'm hoping with a higher miles car that if something did go wrong it was already fix/repaired by previous owner as i will be gettin a CARFAX

----------

Thanks! I've been doing a ton of research on both vehicles but its hard to choose for me both have great and helpful forums (unlike for my tahoe ) for just about every known problem which cuts expensive BIG time as I love to do my own work on my cars...
    What are the know issues with these 08 both regular engine and DI and are covered under warranty? I'm hoping with a higher miles car that if something did go wrong it was already fix/repaired by previous owner as i will be gettin a CARFAX

Quote Originally Posted by thoed.essay

----------

On the 08, check for squeaks and rattles. (I didn't have this issue but many have) Also make sure that the car has had it's scheduled oil changes...this can prevent the timing chain issue even though its still covered. Some mention a shudder when accelerating but I haven't experienced that either. I love the moonroof but have heard lots of complaints about them leaking. (my moonroof panels and seals were replaced at about 43k miles because I was hearing wind noise...was fixed well) I can't think of anything else at the moment but am sure someone else could add to this.

As for the base engine vs DI, I'd go for another DI...it offers plenty of power and has been problem free so far.

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Cadillac as a brand ranked 3rd overall recently in the JD power dependability survey..
    http://www.jdpower.com/content/press...lity-study.htm

that said, the E-class was also ranked in the top 3 for premium midsized cars.

Your choice of the two can't be wrong either way, both are good V6's assuming you’re talking about the 3.6 D/I in the CTS (maybe the merc V6 is a bit more reliable than the Caddy V6, but it also sucks more gas and has less power unless you're looking @ a 2012+ model). What I would ask myself is what I wanted from the car.

if I want a midsized sedan that can comfortably seat 4 for 1000 miles or something I want to disconnect from the world in, I'd pick the E-class, it has more gadgets, it looks better, it's more comfortable, and if you're not going to keep it for more than a few years, maintenance and out of warranty costs should be minimal.

If however, you want something that's fun to drive but can occasionally seat 4 for short/medium range trips, the CTS is the better choice. It's the sportier of the two, and in the long-term, it's operating costs will be lower.

Which MY E350 are you looking at too? If it's the older W211, I may side more with the CTS, but if it's a W212 (2010+) I may shy more twoard the Mercedes.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

I love my 2010 wagon. I know you're looking at an '08 sedan, but my comments on the rear seat...don't take it to the drive in with your honey! As far as kid seats go, I had difficulty with the rear facing car seat. I had it placed in the middle of the seat, and that was a PITA. When my grandson came down here last time he moved to a front facing carseat. I had no difficulties with the front facing seat at all and I also moved it out of the middle. Two seats will easily go in there.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Stay away from the sunroof and the NAV system and you will eliminate the possibility of having about 50% of the issues discussed on this forum.

I have 2 kids, but they have outgrown car seats so I've never tried them in this car. One of my personal tests in a sedan is to set the drivers seat for me (6'-3") and then get in the back behind it. If I fit in back in that situation, the back seat is adequate. I fit in the CTS. So I think the car seats (front facing as Tinman said) would fit fine. Don't forget to place them on some towels so they don't scuff up the leather. They also tend to soak up spills before they soak in to the seats.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by 00 ss View Post
    Stay away from the sunroof and the NAV system and you will eliminate the possibility of having about 50% of the issues discussed on this forum.

Don't forget to place them on some towels so they don't scuff up the leather. They also tend to soak up spills before they soak in to the seats.
    Good point on the towels. I do that. Also, the advice on the sunroof is spot on. The nav system is okay (just okay), just don't try to use the GM/Helm update disc that will cost you $200 and major frustration.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Thoad, I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress while you car shop! It's wonderful to see the community discussion has been helping you along in your search, and please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

PJL
    PJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

My '08 CTS sedan turns five years old in two weeks. I've had no issues (other than the timing chain recall that now has an extended warranty). No squeaks, etc. I'm very pleased with the reliability.

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

Consider your past experience with your Cadillac dealership, too. Some dealerships are great and others have their issues. If you've had good service there before, that might be another reason to go with a second CTS.

I'd recommend a non-moonroof car with the 3.6 Direct Injection engine. I think you'll be happier overall. If you can find an affordable 2010 or newer (they're probably starting to come off lease now), I'd definitely recommend that. It seems that the majority of the issues people describe on here affect the 2008-09 models.

Remember that the CTS only needs regular gasoline. I think many Mercedes require super.

THANKS TO EVERY ONES RESPONDS IN SUCH SHORT TIME!!! This is why I love this forum! I think the CTS would be the way to go for as I had the first gen and loved and miss it... thanks again to everyone for all the insight I'll keep yall up dated on my final choice but by the way I was helped just in one day I think my mind is made up..

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Remember that the CTS only needs regular gasoline. I think many Mercedes require super.
    A 2008 or 2009 with the non-DI 3.6L recommends minimum 89 octane for "towing or best performance". I always put 89 in mine, the engine shudders too much with 87.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts

A 2008 or 2009 with the non-DI 3.6L recommends minimum 89 octane for "towing or best performance". I always put 89 in mine, the engine shudders too much with 87.
    Not to take this thread off topic but I don't see a difference when putting in 89 or 93 octane...maybe it's because I have the 3.6 DI?

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Not to take this thread off topic but I don't see a difference when putting in 89 or 93 octane...maybe it's because I have the 3.6 DI?
    the D/I uses regular 87 and makes 300HP.

the F/I 3.6 is a carry-over, and those engines reccomend 89.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.