How reliable are these cars - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, How reliable are these cars in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Gas grades aside I was also reading about catalyst convert replacements/ shaking, squeaking breaks that cant be fixed and shaky ...
    thoed.essay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Diamond White CTS Lux/Sports PKG

Re: How reliable are these cars

Gas grades aside I was also reading about catalyst convert replacements/ shaking, squeaking breaks that cant be fixed and shaky steering wheel with rough idling which all issues were ALWAYS a problem with my 03 cts anyone else encounter the same?

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

None here.

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater

the D/I uses regular 87 and makes 300HP.

the F/I 3.6 is a carry-over, and those engines reccomend 89.
    Thanks...

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    the D/I uses regular 87 and makes 300HP.

the F/I 3.6 is a carry-over, and those engines reccomend 89.
    From my owners manual:
    For the F/I 3.6L (2009 CTS), they say to use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher.

Therefore, they recommend 87 as for the D/I engine.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

"If the vehicle has the 3.6L V6 engine (VIN Code 7), use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher. For best performance or trailer towing, you could choose to use middle grade 89 octane unleaded gasoline. If the octane rating is less than 87, you might notice an audible knocking noise when you drive, commonly referred to as spark knock. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service."

The few times I have used 87 there have been noticeable NVH deficiencies. I only use 89 on my car.

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts
    "If the vehicle has the 3.6L V6 engine (VIN Code 7), use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher. For best performance or trailer towing, you could choose to use middle grade 89 octane unleaded gasoline. If the octane rating is less than 87, you might notice an audible knocking noise when you drive, commonly referred to as spark knock. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, the engine needs service."

The few times I have used 87 there have been noticeable NVH deficiencies. I only use 89 on my car.
    Do you have the non-DI?

premium was always in my cts i did notice the idling wasn't as bad when i changed the oil but the catalyst converter was always shaking and kinda embarrassing at a drive threw it sounded like the car was gonna die right there. so has anyone else had this happen in there 08 or the breaks always squeaking?

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Do you have the non-DI?
    I do have the non-DI engine.

Quote Originally Posted by thoed.essay View Post
    premium was always in my cts i did notice the idling wasn't as bad when i changed the oil but the catalyst converter was always shaking and kinda embarrassing at a drive threw it sounded like the car was gonna die right there. so has anyone else had this happen in there 08 or the breaks always squeaking?
    There's a service bulletin for one of the rear exhaust hangers due to clunk noises coming from the rear or something like that. I haven't heard of any significant problems with the 08+ exhaust rattling beyond that bulletin. All 08 and certain 09 models had a rear brake squeal issue (mine has it), there's a service bulletin that involves replacing the pads, caliper brackets, and abutment clips in order to mitigate that noise. I also had squeal in the front brakes....my dealer replaced the front pads with aftermarket junk before I bought the car, within a year they were squealing. Since replacing the rotors/pads with OEM parts I haven't had any problems...there's aftermarket solutions that will work just as well. I also had significant steering wheel vibration, which has since been solved after a new set of tires (Bridgestone) and a full front/rear alignment.

thanks somedaycts exactly what i needed to know and then some! Not expecting to trade in the tahoe until April but when i do ill let everyone know how it goes!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.