Key FOB Learn HELP!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Key FOB Learn HELP!!! in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I bought a FOB off of eBAY because my #2 is lost. I have the "keyless ignition". I cycle the ...
    TLMolyneaux2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, 2004 Escalade

Key FOB Learn HELP!!!

I bought a FOB off of eBAY because my #2 is lost. I have the "keyless ignition". I cycle the door lock 5 times and the DIC says it is ready to program Key FOB #3. My problem is that I am not sure what to do once the DIC says it is ready. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rayle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.

Re: Key FOB Learn HELP!!!

If you are okay with knowing there is a #2 floating around that could open & start your car, then you can proceed with programming your new key as #3 according to the 2008 owner's manual steps on page 2-11. (Edit to add: Your #2 memory seat won't work with a #3 key)

However, if you wish to disable the lost #2 and reprogram the ones you have as #1 and #2, you can either take it to the dealer, or you can try the steps outlined in the manual on pages 2-12, 2-13. All previously known transmitters will be erased, so you may want to proceed with caution. I have never done this, so I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the manual.

Here's an online manual if you need it: http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/...cts_owners.pdf

Good luck.

Thanks! Im glad to get a PDF copy of the manual because my car didnt come with one.

I tried multiple times and have come to the realization that the garbage eBay FOB I purchased is the problem! I should have ordered the real deal...

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

It may not be the fob. Others have reported this problem. The dealer will have to code the remotes and they can set them up as #1 and #2. My ealer has never charged for this but if yours does, it shouldn't be much. Just remeber that you have to bring all remotes with you.

Two more things I thought of:

1. If you are in Canada you will HAVE to get the dealer to reprogram your transmitters. To do any programming on your own, you need two working transmitters.

2. Confirm that your new transmitter looks like the one on the right and not the left in this image:

Quote Originally Posted by rayle View Post
    Two more things I thought of:

1. If you are in Canada you will HAVE to get the dealer to reprogram your transmitters. To do any programming on your own, you need two working transmitters.

2. Confirm that your new transmitter looks like the one on the right and not the left in this image:

mine looks like the one on the left...

Okay, we may have discovered the reason for your problem. The transmitter on the left does not have a button near the bottom to release the internal key, whereas the one on the right does. The one on the left would have originally had an external key attached. You stated that you have the keyless ignition, so I assumed that your original transmitter would look like the one on the right. If you have two different types of transmitters -- one with a button and one without, they are probably incompatible. Your dealer will know for sure or maybe someone here.

Page 2-4 of the manual:

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

TLMolyneaux2004, I'm so happy to see rayle has been helping your with your programming frustrations over the weekend! I would also recommend going to your dealership for an official diagnosis, and please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to contact your dealer for you at any point and officially document your feedback.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by rayle View Post
    However, if you wish to disable the lost #2 and reprogram the ones you have as #1 and #2, you can either take it to the dealer, or you can try the steps outlined in the manual on pages 2-12, 2-13. All previously known transmitters will be erased, so you may want to proceed with caution. I have never done this, so I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the manual.

Here's an online manual if you need it: http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/...cts_owners.pdf

Good luck.
    This is exactly the info I was looking for. I seem to have overlooked the second part of this process in the manual and only read the instructions for adding new transmitters. I have found several new in packaging transmitters on eBay with matching part # and FCC IDs. I'm quite sure with this information I should be able to get a compatible transmitter for much less than dealer cost.

My wife actually flushed transmitter #1 so it may be literally floating around somewhere but it was far from home and I doubt it will still work in the event it is ever fished out of the septic system LOL. Even then it would be an impossible task to find the car that transmitter is programmed to.

jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Ok, so I now have the replacement transmitter in hand which is the same as the lost one which was #1. I follow the instructions and place the new remote in the console slot then turn the key 5 times. The message I get on the DIC is to add a fob, not reprogram. It also will not add it as #4 because it says it's already known which it isn't....except that it may be recognized as remote #1.

.....any ideas?

EDIT

I think I can answer my own question. The Owners manual was not clear on one part of the instructions. I found this after searching online for some time.

IMPORTANT:
    Do not place any known good transmitters within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 2. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good transmitter during Method 2 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

So basically what happened is since I had a known good transmitter in the car, it entered programming method 1 which means it automatically added it as fob #3 with no prompting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.